Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Chevy El Camino

Drake69

I'm back on cars after a number of truck builds.... this is the AMT kit.

I actually like the Supercharger in this kit....

Camino%2001_zpsdo2pemwv.jpg

Typical musclecar black interior with silver highlights....

Camino%2002_zpsucrwo8kc.jpg

Tamiya Gloss Black basecoat and One-Coat Inca Gold...

Camino%2003_zps5smqlmrc.jpg

And Black Vinyl Top to be finished today, followed by silver trim....

Camino%2004_zpsppwwnmio.jpg

Edited by Drake69

This is an AMT kit?? It looks like a new tool kit that I've never seen before...The interior looks great! especially the correct center automatic console with horseshoe shifter. The super charger setup looks cool too. I might have to check into getting one of these.

This is an AMT kit?? It looks like a new tool kit that I've never seen before...The interior looks great! especially the correct center automatic console with horseshoe shifter. The super charger setup looks cool too. I might have to check into getting one of these.

It's Kit # 8359 and has a Grey Elkie on the Box instead of the Red one on Kit # 8017. There is No Stock Option Engine in that Kit. It also lower Profile Tires with 5 Spoke Wheels And the Bed is Wood Grained.

Edited by Crazy Ed

It's Kit # 8359 and has a Grey Elkie on the Box instead of the Red one on Kit # 8017. There is No Stock Option Engine in that Kit. It also lower Profile Tires with 5 Spoke Wheels And the Bed is Wood Grained.

Also, the inner wheel wells in the bed are slightly wider than the stock kit. Kinda "mini tubbed".

IIRC, the suspension is lower than stock too but I may be mistaken on that point.

Edited by Can-Con

Looks good, but pics need a white background. Workbench back grounds are too busy to really make the model stand out.

Yup, I'm gonna try and remember to put something white back there when I take pics again...

Speaking of which...

Black Vinyl paint on top...

Camino%2006_zps4qthdeb6.jpg

Camino%2007_zpsgpprptqk.jpg

Wood grained back deck...

Camino%2005_zps8guko58g.jpg

Camino%2010_zpsprtd7xef.jpg

And stripes across the hood now...

Camino%2009_zpswcygswuc.jpg

Camino%2008_zpsy5tinnyg.jpg

Stripes were sourced from the Revell '69 Camaro kit that I had left over.

Edited by Drake69

Thanks!

Chassis is complete...

Camino%2011_zpsmjti5x42.jpg

Also coated the wheels with some Detailer Black to tone down the shiny chrome...

Camino%2013_zps1ztmsj1c.jpg

Camino%2014_zps6orjdhg1.jpg

Got one side of the car trimmed....

Camino%2015_zpsik06p5t5.jpg

And drybrushed the "el Camino" emblem to help it stand out. More to come.

Edited by Drake69

Thanks!

Had to paint the trim, I haven't picked up some new BMF yet. Trim is done...

Camino%2017_zpsartd3sfn.jpg

Camino%2018_zps79fdmwvi.jpg

Camino%2019_zpsehhaakyd.jpg

Camino%2020_zpsjy0jj3oe.jpg

Already have front and back glass in and drying, along with the rear view mirror (no pix...).

Will be doing body assembly and final touches like engine bay and grills tomorrow (later today!).

(NOTE: second pic shows the only BMF I had left trying to come off. Looks like I'll have to peel that junk off and paint that too. Grrr....)

Edited by Drake69

I remember doing one of the stock versions of this kit a couple of years ago. The only dissapointing thing about the kit for me was the chrome parts were really crappy. I don't know what AMT was thinking at the time, but the some of the parts were barely chromed and the ones that were, had almost a aluminum look to them. I had to completely strip all of them down and Alclad II them. I have seen this version of the 68, but never invested in one. Did they improve the chrome tree parts on it? By the way nice work so far. Like your color choice.

Thanks everyone!

I remember doing one of the stock versions of this kit a couple of years ago. The only dissapointing thing about the kit for me was the chrome parts were really crappy. I don't know what AMT was thinking at the time, but the some of the parts were barely chromed and the ones that were, had almost a aluminum look to them. I had to completely strip all of them down and Alclad II them. I have seen this version of the 68, but never invested in one. Did they improve the chrome tree parts on it? By the way nice work so far. Like your color choice.

The chrome in this kit is actually pretty decent and evenly put on. It's not blobby or shallow at all and looks good, if not too shiny. I plan on blackwashing the bumpers some to tinge them down more so they won't blind everyone looking at them for long periods of time. :D