Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revells 68 Stingray - update 4/29

oldscool

Haven't posted any WIP since the Hemi 'Cuda (which is still not finished).

The last time I built a C3 Stingray was the MPC annual in 1970. Since they are my favorite Vettes I thought I would do another one.

Here she is with 2 coats of Tamiya light blue pearl:

IMG_0805_zpsad644c9a.jpg

Hood and both tops:

IMG_0806_zpsa7eec87e.jpg

This a really nice kit.

Edited by oldscool

That's a nice paint job...I have looked at this kit a few times and almost got it a couple of times...I like it that it has the 427....if I remember the box art showed the car in Yellow....You have selected a much nicer color....If you get a chance keep us updated on how it builds for you. Seeing the body, top and hood in the light blue pearl, this kit is moving up fast on my must have list. I also remember the box showing some pretty good lookin' "Meats" on the car. Are the Rims and Tires as aggressive has shown?

That's a nice paint job...I have looked at this kit a few times and almost got it a couple of times...I like it that it has the 427....if I remember the box art showed the car in Yellow....You have selected a much nicer color....If you get a chance keep us updated on how it builds for you. Seeing the body, top and hood in the light blue pearl, this kit is moving up fast on my must have list. I also remember the box showing some pretty good lookin' "Meats" on the car. Are the Rims and Tires as aggressive has shown?

That (and the '69 coupe) is one of my favorite kits. If I remember correctly, the tires that come in the kit are the old Goodyear Gt radials. They are a bit large to my eye. I think they may be 1/24 scale. Regardless, I swap them for something smaller.

Don't let the cheesy yellow car on the box put you off. This is a great kit that is engineered like the new Revell stuff even though the copyright reads 1988.

The tires are the old 1/24 Goodyear GT radials and they look pretty beefy on this 1/25 kit although after Googling some pics they really aren't all that oversized.

68-Chevy-Corvette-Blue-002_zps8c6f035e.j

This pic is very close to what I'm aiming for except the model will have the L 88 hood of course

Edited by oldscool

Shot some clear on the hardtop before it got dark on me and it really brings out the blue in the color. There is some dust in the hood so I did a little sanding and it will get another coat.

IMG_0808_zps8bad2f12.jpg

Also got some color on the engine. The engine detail is pretty nice save for the split oil pan and the extra work that comes with it.

IMG_0809_zps945beed7.jpg

Now I need to find the right shade of blue for the interior. Any suggestions?

I found that Chrysler Engine Blue is a good match for the vinyl; if the vinyl is a metallic finish, try an overlay of Model Master clear pearl mixed with a little flat to give it more of a semi-gloss finish, while still retaining a pearl/metallic sheen. Steve Guthmiller, who built that beautiful two-tone rose '59 Dodge in the finished section uses Delta Ceramacoat satin pearl clear craft paint for that sheen. Unfortunately, I can't find it around here, as none of the stores seem to carry it, but I think he told me he got it at Hobby Lobby, but I wouldn't want to swear to that (and no, we don't have any Hobby Lobbies in this area.)

Pontiac Engine Blue generally does a good job of representing the painted metal pieces (unless they're black or white,) and I like Testors Sea Blue for the carpet- a good shade that works well to represent most of the darker blue carpets used in the 1950s-70s.

Charlie Larkin

Well, I have found a few parts with some bad chrome and wouldn't you know it would be the bumpers.

IMG_0811_zpsba3b6ad5.jpg

Thinking about going with this intake setup. The air cleaner is from the 66 Shelby Mustang kit and looks period correct. The kit comes with the ram air setup but to me it is just ugly.

IMG_0810_zps5d096245.jpg

Hope to get more done later tonight.

I found that Chrysler Engine Blue is a good match for the vinyl; if the vinyl is a metallic finish, try an overlay of Model Master clear pearl mixed with a little flat to give it more of a semi-gloss finish, while still retaining a pearl/metallic sheen. Steve Guthmiller, who built that beautiful two-tone rose '59 Dodge in the finished section uses Delta Ceramacoat satin pearl clear craft paint for that sheen. Unfortunately, I can't find it around here, as none of the stores seem to carry it, but I think he told me he got it at Hobby Lobby, but I wouldn't want to swear to that (and no, we don't have any Hobby Lobbies in this area.)

Pontiac Engine Blue generally does a good job of representing the painted metal pieces (unless they're black or white,) and I like Testors Sea Blue for the carpet- a good shade that works well to represent most of the darker blue carpets used in the 1950s-70s.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie.

Painted the exhaust manifolds and drive shaft with Humbrol gunmetal and cleaned up a few small engine parts. Assembled the two piece chrome coil springs. :blink: What were they thinking with those? I lowered the rear end but it's too late to show how I did it tonight. Will have pics tomorrow. The tri-power air cleaner and stock valve covers are shown for those of you who are unfamiliar with the kit. Does not include the three carbs or manifold.

IMG_0814_zps7d08b398.jpg

Edited by oldscool

Here is what she looks like with the rear lowered about 1/8 inch:

IMG_0818_zps0c4c06c9.jpg

All I did was razor saw the plate from the rear of the differential ( the one with the pin on it) and move it closer to the other plate. Sorry, I forgot to take a before pic. This pin fits into a hole in the frame crossmember. Piece of cake.

IMG_0817_zpsd9dbd47c.jpg

The only other mod will be to shorten the shocks.

Now if you want to lower the front, well... that's a whole nuther ball of worms.

Edited by oldscool

More progress today. Got some clear on the body.

IMG_0826_zps8d933309.jpg

She still needs another coat.

Engine is almost done. Haven't decided if I want to use the Moroso valve covers or the stock ones.

IMG_0830_zps25411e63.jpg

IMG_0829_zps8795638e.jpg

Also got most of the chassis painted.

IMG_0823_zps1bd3217c.jpg

I should make more progress tomorrow.

I remember having problems with IRS rear suspensions on the 2-3 Vette models that I built back in the early 70s. They were either misaligned or kept coming apart.

So to prevent such issues from happening I did this:

IMG_0831_zps1ce5ec8b.jpg

Just pieces of wire cut from a staple and shoved through holes drilled in the chassis then super glued at both ends. After some black paint and with the wheels in place they will barely be noticed. Voila, rock solid suspension.

Here is an overall pic of the rear suspension in place sans shocks which have yet to be painted:

IMG_0832_zps03a8df60.jpg

Now on to the front suspension.