Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Chrome Plating

Casey429

Are you using the regular Easy Off and NOT the "Fume Free" junk?

I've used the regular Easy Off (yellow can) in the past and it's never been a problem for me. Unfortunately, it may have been changed as more companies try to be "environmentally friendly".

Yes, I only use the yellow Easy Off, so maybe I just need to soak them longer and make sure they are continuously submerged. It seems to be the same as it always has been, as it still dissolves chrome plating in about ten seconds. IIRC DPD uses lye (sodium hydroxide) as it's active ingredient just like EO, but maybe the concentrations are different.

I've become a fan of Easy-Off. No matter how thick the undercoating is, Easy-Off always seems to peel it off. Being a chemist by nature, I am fully aware of the nasty nature of NaOH and always wear gloves, eye protection, and respiratory protection. (If NaOH is around, some strong vinegar is around to neutralize it). But EO has always removed the chrome and the undercoat in mere minutes. Some light sanding to get rid of the crud left on it, and the surface is ready for a nice coat of paint.

Well by "crud" I mean the balled up paint and stuff that sticks to the plastic via static-electricity. The sanding is something I do with all parts that I have de-chromed, and really isn't required to remove the "crud". A simple brush with a paper towel gets rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

This may seem like a dumb question to some of you but here goes!

I just purchased a 1/8 Scale Ford T Big Tube, and I don't want all of the Chrome on my build, I tried Brake Fluid and Castrol P)arts Cleaner, any ideas for me to try?

I've used Easy Off Oven Cleaner to remove Paint, also the Castrol Parts Cleaner as well as the Brake Fluid.

Can anyone help me out?

mickey1938

Household bleach, you see the chrome lift off within a few minutes, you may have to soak the parts in some caustic soda, oven clearer should be o.k, to remove the lacquer that holds the chrome on, make sure you rinse the parts in cold running water after taken them out of the bleach, before using the oven cleaner/caustic soda.

Simple Green works, it may take overnight someyimes. I soak the part and after an hour or so I wash the part with an old toothbrush and cold water. Once the chrome starts coming off then it comes off quicker. Even tho, overnight seems to work the best.

I've tried bleach without sucess, the chrome on the parts kinda turned yellowish but didn't come off after an hour or so.

Maybe it was just the specific kit I was doing, age of the kit, whathave you.

As a result, I use the cheapest generic Oven Cleaner I can get usually at Kroger or the $ General.

It'll strip all the chrome off of the parts in about 10-20 minutes max.

What I normally do is put the parts in a glass bowl, spray some cleaner in it, dump in the parts, spray someomore cleaner until everything is covered, let 'em sit for 10 minutes, rinse everthing off thoroughly, and check the progress.

If needed, repeat.

Wear gloves too, that stuff will definately let you know if you have any cuts on your fingers :)

I'd definately rather smell the bleach than the oven cleaner but 10-20 minutes beats an hour+ in my opinion...

wesley's tire bleach....which is now I believe a part of Black Magic

you can pick it up all the auto stores/Walmart...

works everytime...let it soak..for a day or two...wash it throughly...prime it/paint it...I use Alclad alot

Hope this helps, Kurt

Easy Off oven cleaner in the yellow can will remove the aluminum plating in under five minutes, then you leave it immersed for another 24 hours to remove all of the yellowish undercoating. You can get a huge can of it from Home Depot in the cleaning products aisle for $5.00 or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

O.K. guys I hope I don't cause a fuss but, once and for all, "what is the all time best, and safest non toxic way, to de chrome parts". I just got a Lone Star kit and want to de chrome some major parts of it and I do not want to sacrifice or ruin any of them. I need a sure fire, works every time, best of all time technique. O.K. Let the solutions begin!