Model Cars Magazine Forum

Megaphone headers?

I'm going to make some megaphone headers for my rat rod build and I've heard of people using paint brush ferules for them. Every paint brush ferule I've ever seen though has a rib or two in them and has the metal seam.

What is everyone using for these? Please be specific (manufacturer) as I'll be looking for some right away. I'm open to resin or something adapted for the use.

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking into this for some time, trying to get some to finish my '32 wedge-channeled roadster. The brushes I had in stock that seemed to have the best variety and no seam are labeled Aleene's. Though they DO have 2 ribs on the big end, a careful razor saw cut and cleanup would fix it.

They don't look like expensive brushes, so a visit to Michaels or Hobby Lobby would most likely turn up something usable.

I've also read of guys using the tapered nozzle from the super-glue tubes, though nothing much will stick to that particular plastic, and it's difficult to cut and shape clean.

I've also thought of putting some aluminum tube in the lathe, and seeing if I could gently force a taper into it using a tapered mandrel, well lubed up.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Dan Van posted pics of a VW Bug he built using a polished megaphone style stinger exhaust tip he found at Michael's, and I just saw them there Saturday. I will try to find a pic...

Nope, that was me. The packaging or brand name might be different, but search the beading section for 'bead cones,' and you should find these:

DSCN3110_edited-vi.jpg

DSCN3122_edited-vi.jpg

Those classic "megaphone" header pipes were actually fabricated from the tapered portion of Ford torque tubes. Ford cars, from the 1908 Model T clear through 1948 used torque tube rear ends, all with varying degrees of taper.

And yes, they did have a seam down one side, as they were made from about 16-gauge sheet steel, rolled on a form, and then either crimped (tin can style) or welded (in later years), so a paintbrush ferrule must might be the way to go, seam and all.

Art

Nope, that was me. The packaging or brand name might be different, but search the beading section for 'bead cones,' and you should find these

Gah, sorry, Dave. I picked the wrong Dave. ;)

I think the packaging has changed slightly, but they looked very nice, and in scale, too.

I used the same bead cones as VW dave shows from Michaels thou a different brand I believe. They are thin metal with a seam down one side. These were attached to a pipe elbow at the ends, Plastistrut I believe.

FinalMouseRodDSC_0729.jpg

I used the same bead cones as VW dave shows from Michaels thou a different brand I believe. They are thin metal with a seam down one side.

That's what's nice about the cones Dave used- they have no seam that I could see, and they are nicely polished, too.

To seam or not to seam, that is the question for Rob. :lol:

That's what's nice about the cones Dave used- they have no seam that I could see, and they are nicely polished, too.

To seam or not to seam, that is the question for Rob. :lol:

Pssst...don't tell anybody, but they do have a seam. I just position them carefully to downplay it. ;)