Model Cars Magazine Forum

I finally got my hands on a semi-decent camera. Here's my Scout II. I'll try to get some sunlight pics tomorrow, if the weather is cooperative.

It's essentially oob, with a small handful of tweaks.

Grill opened up from behind

Molded in headlights hogged out and replaced

Door handles opened up

4" Lift

Aluminum tubing exhaust tip

Scratchbuilt tube bumpers

Parts box Gas Cap

Side Mirrors extra material hogged out for better accuracy

MPC Desert Dog PCV's on Centerlines from an AMT '59 El Camino reissue with outer rims from the parts box added for some offset

I also added some strip plastic to the rocker areas of the chassis tub - a void that once filled made a massive improvement to how the body fits on the finished chassis. I was going to give the engine and bay the basic detailing, but after inspecting my research photos of the engine and finding that it was far enough from accurate to make it a quick and easy run, I decided to skip it and just let it all be.

For some reason, this thing is screaming to me to give it zebra striped seat covers, so I must oblige. It has to wait for me to get some decal sheet for the printer, though...so it's technically not quit finished. I'll probably add a few minor details as they come to me, like a ball for the hitch plate that I built into the rear bumper, maybe a winch and a couple off-road lights for the front. But for the moment I have other projects that I'd like to button up so I'm calling it done for now.

Thanks for looking, and I'm always open to suggestions and constructive criticism so feel free to offer if you have any.

Glu

ScoutII_1-vi.jpg

ScoutII_2-vi.jpg

ScoutII_3-vi.jpg

ScoutII_5-vi.jpg

ScoutII_6-vi.jpg

ScoutII_9-vi.jpg

ScoutII_10-vi.jpg

Very nice!

Only suggestion I might make is to paint detail the grille body color- on the 1:1 only the grille and headlamp bezels were chrome, but it does look good all chrome like on the kit.

Adding slightly larger, clear headlight lenses to this kit is one of the single most effective ways to improve it!

Thanks, guys.

Yep, the lenses make a huge difference on this one. I was going for a quick finish here but once I opened up the grill there was no way I could skip that. I may still go back and paint the grill surround once I restock on BMF (that's the only way I can manage that masking job). You're right, it would tighten up the look of the front a good deal.

• 1 month later...

Always liked the scouts my old man had one when I was I younger the thing was ugly as sin from rust but the thing plowed many a driveway for him and I. Until I hit a half buried axle that a guy chained his dog to and forgot to tell me about. Yours looks a lot nicer then that old thing. I like the wheels and the color

• 3 weeks later...