Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Whoa, I don't know what half of that stuff is but it looks almost alien. Pretty cool difference from your typical American mills.

:lol: No kidding! It really isn't any different mechanically, just everything has to have some "flare" to it, if you know what I mean.

G'day Cannonballers.

Javelin Engineering have finally allowed WIP photos of my 2013 entry.

As you can see they've got the rolling chassis together, mated the 4.2 litre V8 to the 'cruiser transmission and are now working on hooking up the turbo.

Suspension has been lowered slightly which with stiffer rate springs, stiffer anti roll bars and sports shockers will help with the handling.

Not much they can do though about the woefull steering lock on these things so I hope I don't have to chuck any tight 'U'eys.

Photo0085_zps2e96a882.jpg

The wheels I had been waiting for turned out to be a no go which is a shame. They are 19" rims with low profile tyres but look tiny and stupid against the body. 20s look better but are far too "blingy" for the look i'm going for so they were also out. And the stock kit tyres are huge mudders which would have been fine if it was a race as the crow flies but I think it might be quicker on bitumen.

So i'm going with the ones you can see on there. They are from a Fujimi Mitsubishi Delica van and are dual purpose tyres which while they would not corner as hard as a set of sticky low profile rubber does mean I can take short cuts cross country if the need arises. Plus they'll fit right in with the top secret paint job...

The Tamiya Landcruiser kit is a marvel of plastic engineering BTW. Working suspension on all 4 corners plus turning steering. Very nice. Shame it's not a current kit but who knows. Maybe they'll rerelease it some time.

Edited by zenrat

Here is a "little" Progress on my Lightning Ford.

I had a goooood run this weekend on it. I painted most of the parts and completed the Chassis:

CIMG130826_004.jpg

Some parts missing, i know.

After painting the body white / black i finished the work with the Decals:

CIMG130826_009.jpg

CIMG130826_011.jpg

CIMG130826_012.jpg

Clear coat (to cold and wet yet), a cover for the bed and the body is ready.

Edited by Dominik

Thanks!

I think, this kit is a homerun. I work "a little bit" on the interior. That means, i finished the dashboard, built a rollcage and racingseat with buckets:

CIMG130831_003.jpg

Also i completed the head-/rear lights, painted grill and enginebay...

CIMG130831_000.jpg

(paint is already wet)

At last i made a lid for the bed with the rest of the decals:

CIMG130831_008.jpg

Ready for the finish line :)

Edited by Dominik

The interior looks great Dom!

I guess it's my turn to update now. :D

Anyway the paint is done and to my liking, except for a small crack that showed up over the passenger side window/roof line. I'm out of paint and don't want to mess up the rest of the paint so it stays like it is.

Post142_zps5a9ee397.jpg

With it having a few Viper parts I thought it be fun to advertise it so put the new Viper emblem on the hood. I masked it off a sprayed it flat black then cleared it to try a ghost it in but that didn't work to well, I still like it anyway. I think I should have made it a little bigger though.

Post145_zpsb8b42dba.jpg

Here's what the back end looks like with the light bar.

Post143_zps32c58a1e.jpg

Last but not least the V10 re-painted with custom exhaust manifolds, it's not fully finished yet but this is the general idea.

Post146_zps80a0895a.jpg

I'll start finishing up the interior now and have an update for the hot rod sooner. . or later. . . maybe. . . . :D

everyone's rides are looking nice, gonna be some stiff competitionand here is my latest updated pix

003_zpsdf36545e.jpg

004_zpse72f7525.jpg

009_zpse52031df.jpg

001_zpsc6471e6c.jpg

and i believe y'all may have heard of my driver...his name is dale and he's seen here with the navigator Camero

002_zpse77422f7.jpg

perhaps you'd recognize him better in this position

012_zps727dad65.jpg

here's a shot of the pistol grip shifter,xtra gauges,gps and cb

007_zps97ef44d8.jpg

oh! and what do we have here ;)

011_zpsc60cff7e.jpg

next post will be finished pix

Trade secret. . . . :D

Just kidding, it's a custom mask I made with a printed image and a few layers of tape. I took some pictures of the process just in case someone asked and to better describe it.

Step .01 Print out desired decal, make spares just in case. I needed them lol.

Step .02 Prepare a surface you don't mind cutting on, I used part of a cardboard box. Put down 1 or 2 layers of tape, this will be what the mask sits on.

Step .03 Apply another layer of tape, this layer will be the mask layer.

Step .04 Cut out decal and attach it to under side of clear boxing tape, this will be the decal layer.

Step .05 Apply the decal layer over the mask layer, using a very sharp knife cut out the shape of the decal desired.

Step .06 Remove what's left of the decal layer.

Step .07 Remove the positive or what you want to be sprayed leaving a negative or what you don't want sprayed from the mask layer.

Step .08 Apply a new layer of tape, this will be the transfer layer. This will be used to transfer the mask layer to the object you want the mask on. Make sure to mark the center of the decal if needed.

Step .09 Lift the transfer layer up slowly and gently, use a sharp point hobby knife to lift the parts of the mask layer that won't lift on their own.

Step .10 Apply the transfer layer with the mask layer attached to the object you want sprayed.

Step .11 repeat the same process as in step .09 Lift the transfer layer up slowly but this time use the hobby knife to keep the mask layer applied to the object.

Step 12. Finished, mask off the rest of the object and proceed to spray it.

CTT1_zps6b47d14e.jpg

And that's how I did it, if anyone's got a better idea or way to improve upon this concept then by all means let me know.

Dom, the truck looks great, another fine entry!

... if anyone's got a better idea or way to improve upon this concept then by all means let me know.

How about using a piece of glass instead of the cardboard. You can then do away with the initial layers of tape and stick the final tape layer onto the glass.

Also, try using frisket film instead of masking tape. If you get low tack film it'll peel off easier.

http://www.grafixarts.com/product/Frisket_Film

How about using a piece of glass instead of the cardboard. You can then do away with the initial layers of tape and stick the final tape layer onto the glass.

Also, try using frisket film instead of masking tape. If you get low tack film it'll peel off easier.

http://www.grafixarts.com/product/Frisket_Film

Thanks for the advice Fred, I'll have to try that next time.

Havnet been able to do much lately on my model. But things are looking up. Got myself a new workstation. The bench is 1,80x0,60 (meters)

post-10605-0-06002500-1379059723_thumb.j

And the evergoing struggle with what wheels to choose...

post-10605-0-68418100-1379059781_thumb.j

or

post-10605-0-01605200-1379059801_thumb.j

and I just had to add a smiley to my intake

post-10605-0-73663700-1379059945_thumb.j

and this is where I am at right now. Still need to sand and tweak the bodywork.

post-10605-0-28043900-1379060016_thumb.j