Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Guys,

This is a project that has taken a few turns along it's journey. This was the inspiration for this build.

Pierce1PT.jpg

Since at the time I began this rig, no Freightliner FL Series cab was available( I have since bought the Plaskit version, but that is for another project). It started out with a Mack R style cab, but it looked a little dated. I checked my "stash", and found a Plaskit Mack RD resin hood. It was posed with an R cab for a mockup

DSCN1344.jpg

The cab was stripped, hood glued, and painted:

024.jpg

The dry side tanker body was scratchbuilt. After the pump panel was roughed out, these photos were taken:

MackRD61107.jpg

MackRD61107C.jpg

After investing so much time in the tanker body, I realized, that it was too narrow. I couldn't bring myself to cut it up, so I set the project aside for a while. A fellow modeler built a great International elliptical tanker model that I really admired. He shared his construction techniques and the following advice: "Sometimes a project comes out looking totally different from how we imagined it". How true! This is when I made some major changes...

Edited by hooknladderno1

I took a new frame and wheels, along with a New Bright 1/32 elliptical tank.

DSC04731.jpg

DSC04734.jpg

Over time, the project evolved to this:

[url=http://s176.photobucket.com/user/hooknladderno1/media/Mack%20R%20Tanker/TankerBody02.jpg.html]TankerBody02.jpg[

/URL]

Originally, the rear of the body was flat. I thought it needed a small extension, so I added an angular piece to the outside panel on each side.

picsay-1325430533.jpg

Still, the pump panel engineering was a challenge... Again, the project was put aside. Then, we moved and the rig was put in storage. Until now :D While on vacation, This project was brought home. Work began on roughing out the pump panel. Here is where it sits tonight.

picsay-1363831017.jpg

As I have a busy week coming up, I don't expect any progress until next weekend. Thanks for looking!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

Another interesting twist in this story is that I eventually did make a few changes to the "dry side" tanker body. I DID actually cut it in half down the middle. I also placed it behind a scratchbuilt Pierce Lance cab that I had built. It is a little oversized as is the tanker body, that has also been modified.

DSC04738.jpg

As for the above tanker body, I believe I have found a solution:

1406403851_picsay-1406403851.jpg

1406403989_picsay-1406403989.jpg

The cab is from "Models by Dave". It's raised roof makes the transition to the high hosebed of the tanker not look so out of proportion...

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

• 1 year later...

Another update. I thought that the pump panel could use a crosslay. So, I began trimming...

1406400796_picsay-1406400796.jpg

1406402224_picsay-1406402224.jpg

I also was not happy with the rear of the tanker body. While looking at reference photos from similar tankers of the period, I noticed that the angular rears often featured full compartments. So, I fabricated full rear compartments:

1406400464_picsay-1406400464.jpg

1406400699_picsay-1406400699.jpg

Glad I wasn't on the truck committee Dave! So many changes!! I think it was a wise choice for the eliptical tank. It looks more like it belongs there. Can I make a suggestion for your pump panel? Try cutting a section of aluminum tubing and fit it into a hole that is sized for it on the panel. Let it stick out just a bit. It will look like a gage bezel. If you have some of those hot rod gage clusters cut one out and insert it into the aluminum tubing. Coat it will a bit of Clear and you have a neat gage.

I've also taken photos of actual pump panels, printed out the photos and then punched out the gage face to put inside a bezel. Looks realistic. Naturally you have to size the photo so that the gage face is the right size.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys - Work continues! A little update. Attempted to scratch build an extended front bumper without much success. Hoping someone can find one in their spares box that they might be able to donate...(Please, please, please) I also made a radiator guard. I began putting diamond plate on the compartment tops, mocked up the hydraulic port-a-tank mechanisms and holder. The tank holder and "ladder board" will most likely be remade. Still kicking around ideas for the pump panel... Lots more to do! Thanks for looking!

64c33ac1-5226-4d52-af0a-a9bc7bd6b72f.jpg

1414158729_20141024_094727-picsay.jpg

David

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Scale Trucker who helped me out with the Paystar front bumper! Now to decide which upright components of the bumper will stay, and which will be removed... I fabbed up a piece of diamond plate to span the gap from the front of the truck to the inside of the bumper. I would like to either retain the outer uprights and/or convert them into vertical corner markers(not sure what the correct term for them is) on the front bumper. I also fabbed up a prototypical radiator guard for the front of most vocational Mack conventionals. Interested to hear your thoughts... Thanks for looking!

David

1415519606_20141109_020415-picsay.jpg

1415519738_20141109_020434-picsay.jpg

1415519222_20141109_020810-picsay.jpg

1415519065_20141109_020823-picsay.jpg

Note - Everything is just mocked up with Blue Tac for demo purposes.

Wow a lot of changes, but it's looking really good. The Paystar bumper is a great addition.

You know what might look neat is a bumper turret. You've got plenty of room up front now. A hose bin or short section of hardline is another popular option.

Dave: My two cents. Remove the front radiator guard and the railing on top of the bumper. Use the treadplate on top of the bumper for your Fed. Q2B! The rig is classy in its own way and doesn't need a lot of stuff out front. For those vertical corner markers you were thinking about; use some thin chrome wire and just dip the top end in some clear red or clear green. Keep dipping until the paint builds up into a small rounded blob. Drill a hole in the corners of the bumper and insert the wire.

You are right! Lots of changes since the first go 'round.

Dave, I concur with Charlie, remove the radiator guard and railing on top of the bumper, they just don't look good with the Mack's front end. I have always been a fan of front suctions, and 4Guys does a great job of adding those to pumpers. My personal favorite setup is Cobleskill NY's front mounted suction.

http://i.imgur.com/NPhS0.jpg

You can always add a rotoray to the grille if you want to add some bling that way.