Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Impala Super Stocker. -Finished-

W-409

• 5 months later...

I'm a bit late, but Thanks Mike and Kevin! :D

I thought that this build started so nicely that it would be a shame to leave it in box for a couple of more months. So I took it back on the bench a couple of days ago. I put some more Micro Sol on the decals and got them pretty nicely on place. Today it was time for a clear coat. Tomorrow I'll see how it looks and decide what I do. Maybe a light sanding and more clear, or then just leave it as is and polish the paint.

3893a407-5c5b-4c5d-b5ad-c1adc19027f0_zps

b55f14fa-1213-4b33-abfc-9b076fe6e037_zps

Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate the kind words. :)

I agree with you, Ken. This is a really nice kit with sharp details and lots of parts. The subject couldn't be much better, either. It is possible that I have to buy another one of these at some point...

Today I watched the touch dry body and I'm not completely sure if I should do a light sanding with 2,000 grit paper and shoot another coat of clear or leave it like that. Another coat of clear would help with polishing, but make BMF work harder... Once the body is completely dry, I'll see what I'll do. But in the meanwhile I can work on some other things with this. For example the tachometer could be installed and wired.

Also I'm working on a '50 Oldsmobile Custom at the moment...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Mike! Much Appreciated. B)

After finishing the '61 Oldsmobile Wagon (http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84746) I decided that the next one should be this Impala. I started by polishing the top and I think it came out pretty good, but there's still a long way to go with the rest of the body. I also painted the inner fenders with Humbroll Gloss Black using a paint brush.

5345b3f4-8049-4c61-bed9-4c7c478d69e8_zps

fead5846-63f3-4e25-a97d-a1725e01513c_zps

Well here's a minor update on this build. I got the B-Pillars, and trunk lid polished. I also polished the areas around trunk lid (Don't know how to say it better in English). I'll continue tomorrow and it'll probably take a couple of days to get the whole body polished. And a hood got some paint on it.

2d18eb55-71bd-4220-837e-70e06cdd301c_zps

cac1d807-e8eb-4d45-8793-b81d5a9a6dd4_zps

Well just a little update. I was going to shoot some Primer on the firewall, but those huge holes for hood hinges didn't look very good to me. The car should have different kind of hinges so there would be no holes on 1:1 car. I'm not going to use any kind of hinges, but those holes just needed filling, so with some styrene I got them filled, and now all I need is a little putty and then I can go to the paint booth with that one.

70bfafcb-6393-4f31-8a8e-16337bbabd5c_zps

Big Thanks, Everone!

This is really something else! The engine looks real, the paint is beautiful. I've been doing this since well before I was your age and my work still doesn't look as good as this. I'm jealous! Inspiring work.

Well I wouldn't be sure about that - your work is really nice, too. But really, these internet forums have been a great help with new tips and tricks. And that's why I want to say a big thank you for everyone who has given me advice, tips and tricks or constructive criticism. That has probably helped the most.

It might sound funny, because I'm still this young, but when I started building, we had no internet, and when we got one, it took me years to find FCMA (Finnish Car Modelers Association). Before that the only place I could get help from was from old V8 Magazines that is a Finnish American Car Magazine and Juha Airio is writing about Model Cars there. Other place where I got help was my dad. When I found these internet communities, the amount of information was incredible and my skills improved a lot in a short time, because I got lots of new techniques and a lot of advice.

There's still a lot to learn, but now I try to help others when I can.

Thanks Again, Everyone.

Today when the hood was completely dry, I put the decals on. That red stripe was a real pain to get properly on place, but finally I made it. Those 409 decals fit much better. The red stripe needs some Micro Sol, but I should have the hood clear coated pretty soon...

b82f05e8-0e5d-4fc7-a334-5ec3770129a6_zps

Wow, that's interesting! I really like '62 and especially '63 Impalas. In my opinion the winning team is GM, though. :lol:

The body is polished now. It turned out Okay, even if there are a couple of problems with the decals. Anyway it's not that bad. Next thing is the BMF, which has never been my favorites in model building. :rolleyes:

Sorry the pics are not the best.

760f5635-02c7-4276-8835-95b3de936239_zps

b95f003a-b042-47c9-b5e9-153472d3809e_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jason and Carl!

Luckily (?) there wasn't that much progress to miss on this thread while you were away, Jason. :D Just kidding, I'm really glad I'm making some progress with this one, and I'm really glad that other people like following this one. So a big thank you for all of you.

Here is the firewall in Primer. It looks like I can spray white Primer on it tomorrow and then go ahead and paint it with gloss white. The reason why I use grey Primer first is that it shows mistakes better than white one (This is when using Mastons). And then the white one makes it possible to paint gloss white so that the grey will be fully covered.

80a47d96-fc1a-457c-bd97-b06978687cb6_zps