Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Resin '62 Studebaker Gt Hawks On Ebay

There are newly cast resin Studebaker GT Hawks showing up on Ebay. That has always been one of my grail vehicles so I bought one for a fairly steep price (too much). :P I plan to do a full review of what I got later after I have the chance to take some pictures but the short story is that they're pretty rough. It looks to me like it will be usable to build an okay curbside after a good bit of work but that's probably because I'm a fanatic. In short, bid if you're like me and hafta have it but don't expect All-American Models or Modelhaus type quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-Studebaker-GT-1-2...bayphotohosting

Edited by mr moto

I located the auction Manuel from "Completed Auctions".............eBay probably pulls the direct URL once the auction is over so it can't be linked.

ed06_1.JPG

That kit looks pretty good from a distance-----Do you know who the caster is?

Looking forward to the review and up close pics.............I love Studebaker Hawks!

The roughness may be one good reason his Feebay photos don't show anything up close or in focus. I've heard before that his models were kind of rough. I'd like to see closeup shots to see just how bad they are.

I built the AAM version when it was new. It was decent quality, but the angle of the C pillar was definitely off, so I had to do some pie-cut surgery to fix it.

Apparently, the seller is also the resin caster so you can expect to see more of them up for auction soon. In fact, there is another one up right now. I don't know if he made the master or not. He had earlier sold a slush cast Hawk that I didn't bid on and I think he named someone else as casting it. It looked VERY similar to what he's selling now so I think that may have been used as a first generation master. I'll see if the slush cast is still in "completed auctions" and if so post some info about it.

There are newly cast resin Studebaker GT Hawks showing up on Ebay. That has always been one of my grail vehicles so I bought one for a fairly steep price (too much). ;) I plan to do a full review of what I got later after I have the chance to take some pictures but the short story is that they're pretty rough. It looks to me like it will be usable to build an okay curbside after a good bit of work but that's probably because I'm a fanatic. In short, bid if you're like me and hafta have it but don't expect All-American Models or Modelhaus type quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-Studebaker-GT-1-2...bayphotohosting

The Studebaker GT Hawk I cast up was an early one for me--done originally by California legend, Mike Carroll. Mike did a ton of work on that one, I had to go in, do some rework to get it to look like it should (My eyeballs VS his, I think).

Looking back on it now, there are some things I should have done differently, such as making the grille a separate part from the hood so that it could be plated (hindsight is perfect vision every time!), but I also consider that I got that master way back in 1990, and both my modeling skills, and my casting capabilities were far less advanced than they became in following years.

On a model such as this one, so much depends not only on modeling skills in doing a master, but references as well. I did have unlimited access to a 1:1 '62 GT Hawk (have a scar on a finger from the very ragged edge of the left rear quarter panel, at the door jamb to prove that!). I had to look at another 1:1 at the Studebaker National Museum in late 2002 when doing product development for Johnny Lightning (we wound up doing the '57 Golden Hawk), and found a lot of details that I missed back in '90.

Of course, in this day and age, a clean casting (no goobers, no airvoids, no pinholes) only makes sense. After all, guys like Don Holthaus and even myself figured out how to avoid those years ago--so anyone willing to send out such castings just doesn't get it.

Oh well, enough of a rant, I think.

Biscuitbuilder

The roughness may be one good reason his Feebay photos don't show anything up close or in focus. I've heard before that his models were kind of rough. I'd like to see closeup shots to see just how bad they are.

I built the AAM version when it was new. It was decent quality, but the angle of the C pillar was definitely off, so I had to do some pie-cut surgery to fix it.

Andy,

YOu got the early version, IIRC. I corrected the angle of the sail panels about 1994 or so.

Biscuitbuilder