Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fellas... I got some great news.... I finally got some time to work on this and I am happy to say that I got the heads painted as well as putting a coat of flat clear over the copper head gaskets. Anyway I am happy to say that I am back at the bench with this build and gonna get more work done to it this weekend.

Here is the Heads painted HOK black base and the Copper head gaskets were painted with Clear Flat:

DP-Army-Vega3928-1_zps213a387d.jpg

I had to test fit them on the block:

DP-Army-Vega3932-1_zpsbbf3760f.jpg

Another view:

DP-Army-Vega3930-1_zpsaef2a71b.jpg

Bob... Thank you Sir. It feels great to he back at it. I have been at the bench tonight filling pin holes in the block and i need to glue the timing plate on, as well as getting some of the final work to the manifold. Will also be working on the valve covers tonight. Hoping to be able to paint the block, manifold, valve covers and oil pan later this week.

Alright Fellas.... wanted to show you a couple of things I was working on. I have actually started drawing up my fire suppression system and getting ideas for the mounting brackets. I have drawn them in Solidworks and am planing on having a friend of mine that is out in California print these parts for me on his Makerbot Replicator Personal 3D printer that he has. I have been curious as to the quality of printing that machine does. So once I get the parts I will be sharing pic of them. I am still not done drawing everything up. but I have drawn up two different systems one being 5lb bottle and the other a 10 lb bottle. I can't quite tell what size of bottle is in the real car....

Here are a few pics to show you

The Two different bottles and brackets:

firesuppressionbottles_zps1bc134ad.jpg

Here is a straight on view so you could see the shape of the bracket:

firesuppressionbottles-2_zps79da78f3.jpg

Here are the reference pics I am using to create my parts:

Army-28copy_zps137e763a.jpg

Army-36copy_zps971f1fcb.jpg

As you can see I still have a few parts like the push button and nozzle to draw up. I also think I need to make may brackets a little smaller as to how much is wrapped around the bottle. Hopefully that makes sense. I will update them and show you the updates later. I am off right now to do some work on the block, valve covers, manifold and oil pan.... filling more pin holes and primering.... Stay Tuned B)

Edited by Mooneyzs

Whether this sounds trite or not I feel it needs to be said.

Someday in the future we who are here now will be able to say. "I was there" when it all went down. We all watched as this monument to accuracy and craftsmanship came together. We all drooled over the metal parts carefully crafted one piece at a time to create the whole. The reverence applied to clearly a dear subject to the talented builder.

I'm in awe, and now that you've effectively ruined Revell 1/16 scale drag kits for me, the least i can do is show my respect for you planning the work, then working the plan.

Bravo brother.

Bob

Here...here Bob. Agree completely. "I was there." :D

On your mounting brackets Chris, it looks like the bottle is actually further away from the steering shaft and the bracket actually gets thinner between the shaft and the bottle than it is at the shaft by about a third of the whole. Hopefully that makes sense. Otherwise, with notes mentioned above, it will be awesome. Looking forward to the printed pieces to see how the detail is.

Edited by gasser59

Bob... Thank you for the kind words and very nice of you to say. I know I still have a lot to learn to improve my building skills because I know there are way more talented builders here than me. I sure hope I didn't ruin 1/16 scale funny cars for you, that is the last thing I would ever want to do to anyone. I would hope that people have learned something from my builds just as I have learned so much from other builders here. I really appreciate you following along on this build.

Brad... Thank you for the kind words. i think I understand what you were talking about with the bracket getting a little thinner in the width between the bottle and steering shaft. I may of looked at the reference pick wrong inking it had a curve in where in reality the bracket was actually straight at that point. And on bothe the 10lb and 5lb set up I had used a dimension of .300" from the center of the bottle to the center of steering shaft which the 10ln set up needs to be changed by making that dimension a little longer. I was trying to find an actual bracket like that one on the Internet but wasn't able to find one. So I was also measuring the one from revell as a starting point. I will be updating these 3D models and posting updated pics to see what everyone thinks.

Joe... Thanks buddy. I appreciate your opinion and I have to agree that I think you are right about it being a 10lb bottle. I can't wait to have the model completed so I can email my buddy to print them. I am excited to see how well this personal printer of his prints.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Chris,

After looking at your drawing again, I agree with Brad. It looks like the bottle is spaced farther off the steering shaft than you have it drawn up. Having tried to eyeball something and draw it, I know what it's like to have to go back and adjust dimensions and shapes to where they are closing to being "right". How ya' doing brother?

Chris, looking good buddy! I knew I forgot something on my engine build "copper gaskets" oh well :blink: maybe next time, nice touch!!! The fire bottle drawings looks good and I'd have to agree with Brad and Scott on the distance of bottle from the steering shaft, don't want to take off any fingers or the bottle push knob if the driver needs to rotate butterfly wheel 90 degrees :lol: . Keep on keeping on, this will be a beautiful build when it's done.

Charlie

Pro Tech

Looking good Chris....and welcome back! And please give a review of the 3d parts finish and what clean up is involved if any. I was thinking about picking up one of the 3d printers....the personal ones...and I am interested in the quality of the output.

Dave... The personal 3D printer that my buddy out in California has is a Makerbot Replicator and it will print in ABS and PLA materials. I think he only had the PLA material at the moment.

Scott... You guys are right about having to space the bottle farther out from the steering shaft. I will be making that fix spacing it out farther and hopefully it will look much better...lol I have been doing ok. I started up some work again today. It's only a short term... 2 weeks but it will help the pocket book for bills.

Charlie... Thanks for the compliments on this build. I can't wait to get your braided hose added to this. It's sitting in my aftermarket parts ready to go on....lol you are right don't want the driver accidentally hitting the fire bottle lol.

Dave... Thanks buddy. Oh yeah I was planning on posting pics of how these parts turn out for sure. Was gonna take pics of them when I get them and will also toss some primer on them on some additional pics. I too am curious how they will turn out. I know that I will still have to sand and add a little bondo to them. I hear you that would be nice to have a personal 3d. printer

Chris,

Just looking at the 1:1 pic, is there some sort of "cover" (not sure what you call it?) between the two clamps? I was wondering if it served as a spacer, or what? I noticed the steering column was black where the steering wheel attaches, and silver/aluminum between the two fire suppression bottle holder clamps.