Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 car trailer **more pictures**

hey all, i'm not very active on here but i do enjoy reading everyone's posts and seeing the awesome builds you guys do. i thought i would show off my car trailer that a friend gave me, i didn't like how it looked. it was painted a light blue, had a broken tongue, broken axles, the wheels he used on it didn't look right, and it had an ugly tire rack on it. so, i stripped everything down to just the trailer frame and fenders, made a custom triangulating suspension so that no matter how high or low the vehicle was that i hook it to, all 4 wheels would be on the surface. i also redone the tongue from styrene, made a functioning jack (can be raised or lowered), put a wooden floor made from popsicle sticks, wheels are from an old toy i had about 20 years ago and painted silver, the trailer itself is flat black. the tail lights are old cell phone buttons that i painted stop light red, tag plate and tag decal from parts box, safety chains is jewelry chain. here are a couple of pictures, sorry for the poor camera phone quality, hope you enjoy!post-5346-0-86025100-1328641602_thumb.jppost-5346-0-35398300-1328641629_thumb.jppost-5346-0-71307700-1328641693_thumb.jp

Edited by 1tim1

This is awesome, I wish I had 3 or 4 of these! Beautiful job. Any idea where I could get one?

i have no idea where to get one like this, it looked like it had some age to it

Great Job. it resembles the 1:1 car trailer I drag behind my F250 SuperDuty.

thanks

Great job! Any shots of the underside? Also, how was the Jack accomplished? Curious minds and all.

no shots of the underside yet, i will work on getting some though, and i will try to explain how i made the jack with pictures when i get a chance

Nice job Tim.

That is the race car trailer from Revell they did sometime ago.

I am working on one right now and I love the wooden floor on yours. I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea and do the same with the flooring on mine. I am keeping the front portion of the trailer as mine will carry a race car.

Rob

post-5346-0-39790500-1329103225_thumb.jppost-5346-0-93268500-1329103309_thumb.jppost-5346-0-80725800-1329103330_thumb.jp

1. cut a piece of styrene tube about 3/8" long

2. cut a piece of styrene sheet the same diameter as the tube, glue it on one end (i use superglue gel)

3. file the piece smooth

4. the black piece i used was a piece of sprue, insert it into the tube then drill a hole in the center

5. i used a paper clip, bend it to simulate the shape of a trailer jack handle (i used a surgical staple removal tool to bend the paperclip, it's much easier)

6. use superglue gel to glue the paperclip to the black piece (or whatever color you use). don't glue it to the tube if you want it to slide up and down

7. cut a square piece from styrene sheet to use as the foot for the jack

8. paint, test and install, enjoy!

note: the black piece can be cut to any length, so can the tube depending on however long you want your jack, the only downfall is the "handle" will look unproportioned to the rest of the piece

post-5346-0-05770800-1329104229_thumb.jp