Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

Thanks again guys. The updates are starting to catch up to where I am at so pretty soon anything you see will be real time updates.

Here is some of the interior work so far.

I started with the floor pan. Evergreen sheet with a trans hump from a Mustang.

p1030513z.jpg

The rear bulkhead and parcel shelf were fitted. The wheel well lumps are sections cut out of the wheel wells from a Mustang chassis

p1030519df.jpg

I added the side panels and the raised areas where the seats will sit.

p1030525d.jpg

underneath

p1030518k.jpg

Made the mouldings for around the doors

p1030528c.jpg

and the door cards and made and cast the armrests. I cast the window cranks from a part I found in my spares box. Two of the arm rests look like they have air bubbles in them but the spots that you can see are just debris in the resin

p1030555nf.jpg

The rear seat was next. Falcons used different styles of upholstery over the years so I made inserts for the seats. That way when I want to do a different model, I can change the seat patterns without messing up the seat. You can also see that I used copper wire for the piping around the base of the seat.

The basic seat parts

p1030544f.jpg

Stick them all together and this is what you get.

p1030592y.jpg

p1030620rw.jpg

To be continued..

Cheers

ShawnS

The front seats.

There was absolutely nothing in my spares box that came close to what I wanted so I had to make those as well. Once again all evergreen with some putty for the sides of the backrest and copper wire for the piping.

p1030582q.jpg

With the headrest and centre inserts.

p1030584g.jpg

I cast them straight away and shot some primer on them. The stripes are only temporary and will be done neatly on the final version.

p1030625v.jpg

The XE Falcon had two different centre consoles. I built both.

p1030799p.jpg

I made the shifter boot from different sized layers of evergreen layed on top of each other. The knob is from my spares box.

p1030681f.jpg

I found some pedals from a 67 Mercury that will do the job just fine.

p1030796zc.jpg

The interior tub with the manual console.

p1030790.jpg

and the auto console.

p1030669qf.jpg

Just the dash and a couple of things left to show you and then you'll be up to date.

To be continued..

Cheers

ShawnS

Heres my question: .......wait for it........How the HECK! did I miss this one?? , Shawn you are a showman when it comes to scratch building. I have really enjoyed this build and will be on-board till the end. Oh I do have a question : when you are ready to paint the motor and other details will you disassemble it ? or do you plan on painting it as is? In any case keep up the OUTSTANDING work

:blink: Can't quite get over those consoles. I can envision stuff like that in my head, but getting it out of my head and making it a reality is extremely difficult. Doing it as well as you have is dang near impossible.

Thanks for the continued support Zac.

Thank you RommelR. I hope you all will be with me till the end. Don't be affraid to spread the word so that no-one else misses it. B)

I will be pulling it apart. At the moment it's only lightly tacked together so i can make sure it fits where it should and when I'm ready to paint, it will come apart easily.

Thanks Adamo. It just takes a image in my head, a lot of evergreen styrene and glue and a whole lot of patience. Being crazy doesn't hurt either. I must be crazy 'cos people have been calling me that since I started it. :blink::D

Ok, now for the dashboard.

Here is the finished part. I had 2 failures before I figured out how to get it right.

I printed out a lo-res dash readout and put it behind a piece of clear sheet.

p1030841k.jpg

The radio face is from a Tamiya VW Beetle and the aircon/heater controls are from a MCG PE set.

p1030662w.jpg

I made a steering column and added levers from evergreen rod and strips.

p1030806m.jpg

The finished unit with steering wheel.

p1030840h.jpg

The top has vents.

p1030843n.jpg

The real thing

7065910.jpg

bvokewcwkkgrhqyokjwezlj.jpg

p1030834wk.jpg

p1030827b.jpg

There is still a bit of fine tuning to do like adding an ignition lock and putting more of an upward angle on the steering wheel. I'm also feeling that the steering wheel may be a bit oversized so I'll have to fix that. Anything else like the seat belt buckle stalks and the floor mat will be done during the final detail stages.

to be continued..

Cheers

ShawnS

Edited by ShawnS

Heres my question: .......wait for it........How the HECK! did I miss this one?? , Shawn you are a showman when it comes to scratch building. I have really enjoyed this build and will be on-board till the end. Oh I do have a question : when you are ready to paint the motor and other details will you disassemble it ? or do you plan on painting it as is? In any case keep up the OUTSTANDING work

This is amazing. All of this hard work going into this it would be a shame to cover it all up. I vote for leaving it unpainted. This way you could show off all of your excellent work!

Wow now that is amazing work and to think this is the first time you have scratch built?? Imagine what you could do next would love to see a VY SS in 1/24 it's almost unfair that we don't get good Aussie scale models available to us but with any luck you might eventually be the man to make it possible for us to see so many Aussie classics on the shelves of hobby shops around the world in 1/24 scale plastic kits imagine the builds possible!! Can't wait to see this finished

I feel like I should be paying to see this.

In that case, sent $1000 to this address................... Just kidding..unless you wanna do it. :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for the kind comments. Here is the last of the catchup updates and anything from here on is what I have actually been working on.

I managed to cast the body and clean it up. Not too many issues except the mould rubber that I use seems to make it's own air bubbles from out of nowhere and of course they find the stupidest places on the body to call home (mostly on undercuts), so there was a little more cleanup then I would have liked but it's all good. You can see some small round blobs in several places, that's where there were bubbles in the mould rubber. Even though they cleaned up easily, I will change a few things in any future mould making processes to try and prevent that from re-occurring.

p1030878g.jpg

p1030879s.jpg

p1030881a.jpg

p1030883p.jpg

p1030884a.jpg

I have started making sure that everything in the interior fits where it should and have also cut off the hood and begun work on the engine bay. I regard casting the body as the half way point in this whole deal. I still need to;

cast the interior tub (priority)

do the engine bay and everything in it

make a chassis for any future curbside version

make the headlight lenses

mount the engine

make the exhaust manifold and pipes/muffler

Make the front suspension and steering setup

finish the drivetrain

finish the wheels

make some decals

make the wipers

make moulds and cast everything that I need for more versions

make windows

paint and detail

All of that and more... so settle in for the long ride with me to the end folks.

Thanks for looking and I hope to add more to this thread soon. Once again I'm always open to questions and comments.

Cheers

ShawnS