Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Volkswagen Bug.

Mr.Zombie

good job adam...

the only thig that bothers me is that rust on the bumpers that looks like painted on...

greetings maik

I disagree about the bumpers. I think they look very real. I want to know how you did it. One of the best builds of this kit I have seen.

...Gotta ask.. Is there a sheet of plywood under the driver's side floorboard? Most bugs in that shape lost their rubber door seals and water rusted away the floorpan.

;)

Great model!

On my own 1:1 69 1300, the floor on the drivers side is fine. It's the floor under the battery (under the backseat on the passengerside) that rusted out first. And my 1:1 bug looks to be in quite a similar condition to this model at the moment.

its great looks awesome, or as Mike Brewer on Wheeler Dealer would say that's really Crackin

I bet Edd would be really happy about it after Mike had bought it aswell :)

When I was a kid my uncle had a bug. It's my earliest automotive memory, I have pics with that car when I was maybe 2 years old.

And this bug was red and had eyes on the hood, at some point the car got a respray and I've never seen pics of it with those eyes, but I remembered that it had some.

As I built "Mothers Worry" I had eye decals left over and thought of them as I put this one together. Only because of those eyes this model is red, I planned to build a friends bug out of that kit, changed my mind after I pulled those eyes out of my stash. Later a guy from Poland etched the numberplates for me, I modeled the bear after my bear that I have for years now, and the newspaper on the passengers seat is from 1981, the year I was born...

The original bug never was that rusty though.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Edited by Mr.Zombie

Top notch work on everything, Adam. I thought the bear and the suitcase were well-crafted finishing touches to a nicely detailed build.

I did have one question - are the wheels meant to be a greenish color? For some reason I always remembered Beetle wheels as being black or flat silver.

16034526328_971781da9c_c.jpg

The wheels are painted different depending on the year, according to the instructions the outer ring should be white and the inner part black. But that's Deluxe or export versions as far as I know.

I found this pic:

15436386013_a07e34c50e_c.jpg

And thought that it was a great color combo that is a bit funky. And I dig the rusted hubcaps. So since wheels are not welded on a car it is probable that in the past 20 years someone just bought good tyres that happened to be mounted ob green wheels...

Edited by Mr.Zombie

And this bug was red and had eyes on the hood, at some point the car got a respray and I've never seen pics of it with those eyes, but I remembered that it had some.

I lived in Germany from 1969-72 and those eye stickers were very popular then! I forgot all about that until I saw them on your model!