Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Pantera GTS

Gregg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone built any of these? Are any full-detail kits with engines? The proportions look a little off in all of the photos of the Fujimi and Marui versions I've seen, and while they look pretty good on the Gunze, the ride-height is way too high.

Any additional input from anyone?

PS. Thanks for moving my post to an appropriate, pre-existing thread....come to think of it, I'd seen this thread before and forgot about it, probably because it's kinda light on factual information and long on opinions and pix of the real cars. But it does answer my question as to whether any of these kits are full-detail, so I'm happy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I bought both the GTS and the standard Pantera kit. Both are curbside without engines and are very nice. They are similar in construction as the Gunze kits. The decals are different and only the front bumpers and front turn signal parts are different in the two Fujimi kits. I have not built mine yet.

Thanks a lot. A US version GTS would most likely have moderately sized, riveted-on fender flares. Are these not present on the model?

Very nice kit from Fujimi indeed, of the very first generation Panteras (available at your Lincoln-Mercury dealers for $10.000 back in 1971).

The Old Gunze/Testors/Airfix, editions are from the original Nichimo ciurbside "motorized" mold of the 70's of a "road racer" type looking Pantera GT4: tacked-on fender flares, sliding door windows, 4 corner slicks, also a very nice kit for it's time.

Never seen any plastic kits of the later 80's GT5 version.

• 2 months later...

I have just started my build of the early Pantera (kit #RS-68). It's a simple build, but there are a few things to watch out for:

1. Those hood vents (cribbed right off a Mercedes C-111) didn't show up until later versions. It took a few rounds of filling and block sanding to get things level. The next coat of primer should have everything hidden.

2. The front and rear pans have the seams set up for the matt black on the later GTS versions. For an early car, there are seams very close to the turn signals, and they are not there on the real car. Be careful when sanding.

3. If Fujimi could call it a DeTomaso Pantera on the box, why couldn't they give us the lettering for the rear panel, or the emblems for the wheels?

4. The painting guide shows the scheme for an early GTS. Break out the Alclad for the bumpers.

This should not be taken as a flame on the kit, because the basic shapes are there. Unfortunately, Fujimi has tried to provide several versons of the car from one basic tool. Get plenty of reference pics, and be prepared for some modelling, and you should be set.

• 6 months later...

These pics were taken at the same place but not on the same day...

1criusecaliforniassept20966.jpg

2CarsSept909Wedcali41.jpg

3picsjune302010californias11.jpg

4criusecaliforniassept20970.jpg

Beautiful pics! I have a few different Pantera kits in storage, all 1/24 or 1/25, including the black Testors example. I also have the blue Testors kit, with the flares and the wing, as well as a built-up example of the kit posted by "my name is nobody". That kit, with opening doors and operable (from the STEERING WHEEL!) steering, also included an electric motor, and operating headlights (they open and close), and taillights! The fender flares in that kit were on the clear window parts-tree, and I opted to use them (attached prior to painting). I wish I could get my Pantera stuff out of storage, and get some pics! I'm sure you would enjoy them!