Model Cars Magazine Forum

Come in Everyone! What's your 1:1?

What are your real life "builds"? Do you have a clunker? a off-roader? a project car? a hot rod? or is it just a daily driver? List it up here for all to see!

Here's my 1989 Jeep Wrangler Islander. Picked it up from my cousin 5 years ago for $2400, and have since done a ton to it. Most noticeable are the new wheels and tires, as well as a new engine under the hood.

SDC10154.jpg

jeep006.jpg

jeep016.jpg

B)

Since this thread isnt on the 10th page already, here are my two hobby cars:

1927 Ford T Roadster on a narrowed & Z'd 1932 frame. Dropped front axle with split wishbones and Lincoln Zephyr brakes, 1935 Flathead V8 with Thickstun intake / Stromberg 81 carburetors / headers with Smithy glasspacks, 1934 3-speed trans built from all NOS components, 1933-34 rear axle with Model T spring, 16x4" 1940 Ford wheels with big & little Firestones, 1934 Chevy dashboard with 1950's vintage Stewart Warner gauges / 1940 Ford "Deluxe" wheel. Except for the custom-built Walker radiator and SW gauges, no other components on this car are newer than 1948. It was built as a hot rod roadster would have been / could have been just after WWII. This car was built largely by myself with help from my Dad and a few car friends. It took 2 years to "complete" and has been on the road for 3 1/2 years. (The 1934 Ford Roadster behind it is my Dad's and is built to the same era.)

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

1932 Ford Pickup was given to me by my Dad 28 years ago when I was just 2 years old. It is mostly original with its few modifications being a dropped front axle, de-arched rear spring, 1946-48 Ford Hydraulic brakes, 16x4" Kelsey-Hayes "bent spoke" wire wheels (an aftermarket accessory wheel in the 1930's), big & little Firestones and a lowered headlight mounting bar. The drivetrain is the stock, numbers-matching 50hp Flathead 4-cylinder engine, 3-speed trans, and rear axle. Interior is also completely original.

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

B)

My daily and project truck. 94 S-10 LS Ext. Cab. I do a little to it as I can afford it. I'm eyeballin a real nice set of 17 inch Eagle Alloys with good tires on Craigslist for $300. Then I'm gettin the rust fixed and getting her painted Atomic Orange Pearl.

truck.jpg

99 sonoma, 4.3 2wd, 95,000KM, great truck.

I am a BIG fan of mini trucks anyways but I'm glad to have this, just the good ol' canadian road salt is getting to her! B)

sonoma967.jpg

sonoma995-1.jpg

sonoma990-1.jpg

plans for the future are just minor things like, ss mirrors, envoy bumper cover and headlights, brazilian taillights, a 2/3 drop and either coy c5's or torque thrusts II's If I get some cash saved up.

Then after that it is ready for a 350. B)

btw nice truck grim, take the trim off the side and it will make the truck look WAY nicer, trust me.

Oh and get a roll pan before you get it painted.

Edited by bowtiebadboy333

My 1:1 daily driver and baby/moneypit is my 1990 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4. I bought her about 8 years ago from a towing company I used to work for, and she's sort of a one off custom built truck. The original rolled out of the Norfolk truck plant as just a chassis cab and was originally a tow truck. The owner of the towing company took the wrecker off her and put the stock truck bed on and also all the chrome and stainless steel goodies.

HPIM1845.jpg

HPIM1844.jpg

Of course, I've got plans to put dual stacks in the gap between the bed and the cab caused due to the slightly larger chassis cab frame. I would also like to put Alcoa aluminum wheels like you would see on a semi, but the 16 inch wheels for this truck, not semi wheels! B) I'm also thinking of maybe a slightly larger tire size to lift it a slight bit. First on the list before winter is some brake work front and rear and new replacement 4x4 hubs, along with wheel bearings, etc. I'll probably get new glow plugs too so it will start this winter! B) Speaking of starting, here's the old greasy 7.3 Liter under the hood.

HPIM1594.jpg

Yeah, it's dirty and greasy, but hey, you would be too if you were 20 years old and never had a bath and leaked oil out of almost every seal! B) It mainly leaks because after its life as a wrecker and it became the boss's toy, she sat for long periods of time, so all the seals dried up. Whenever the clutch finally needs replaced, I'll take care of the main seals and oil pan gasket and all the other bottom end stuff, then I'll get the top end.

For being 20 years old and having 182,000+ miles on the odometer, she still gets about 15 miles per gallon and doesn't run bad. It's just a pain trying to park at Walmart, or any parking lot for that matter! B)

Well I don't have anything special like a Baja Bug or a Manx(could really use one tho B) )

I really like your Baja bug tho Jordan.

My 95 Geo

trackerinsnow.jpg

My (or hers) 06 Suzuki Aerio SX AWD

newtiresof20102055016s.jpg

and hers (or mine) 08 Scion xD (we bounce back and forth who's whos)

P3280001.jpg

I haven't lowered anything because I really like the extra ground clearance even tho

they would look better lowered.

But I'm still pondering lowering the xD a bit tho. B)

and my newest ride

09 specialized RockHopper

SpecializedRockhopper2009.jpg

Gotta get my lunch to work somehow..

I've got a 2008 Forester as well as this one which I've had for over 8 years and lavished a fair few dollars and hours on. The car itself is over twenty years old and is a Holden Calais- basically a precursor to your G8.

td01.jpg

It's a 304 cube push rod V8 with EFI. I've put a bigger cam in, changed the manifold, done some head work and a few other things to neaten it up.

Here is mine . It is a 468 cid Vega 2x3 frame . I'm currently looking for a new body for my new chassis . We are going to take a Covair and move the panels around , change the b pillar and change the front sheet metal so it will come out to be a 3/4 scale 66 Chevelle.It will be called a Corvelle or a Chevair . We havn't decided yet . This new car will be a prostreet Blown BBC

Chuck

vega11-vi.jpg

vega10-vi.jpg

I don't know, Mick, but that looks more like our Chevy Caprice up here in the states.

Possibly. That particular model was based heavily on an Opel- I've not heard that it had any thing to do with the Caprice. What year Caprice- I'd love to look more into it. The reason I mention the G8 is because the G8 is actually a Holden VE Commodore and produced here- just around the corner from my old home! My car is the earlier VN Calais (Calais being the luxo - spec Commodore... there was a longer wheel based luxo called the Statesman which was a popular car in the Middle Eastern markets although I am not sure if they were marketed in America).

Here's a few pics of the VE / G8:

holden-ve-commodore-ss-v-se-2008-759517.jpg

Police%20Cars%2026.jpg

Oh and one of the Coupe 60 which is from the same platform and should have been the next Monaro / Pontiac GTO:

Holden_coupe60_122.jpg

I know for a fact the V8 in mine is an Australian designed V8 though- home grown muscle :lol:

Here's another angle:

td02.jpg

Here is my 1:1.

A friend took these for me....it was my first show after the restoration. The 100 in the background belongs to a friend of mine. That's the car I want!!!

I restored it and it took 22 years. (yes, even longer than some of my kits!!!). Had it for 25 years. It's my other woman and I spend a lot of time with her and my wife. They seem to get along okay.

I drive it on days the sun is up and not raining. Got caught once and it's a bear to clean. The reflection is my house to show the depth of the paint. It took me 9 hours to buff the hood and 8 for the trunk....so you can imagine the rest of the car!!

DSC_0175_2.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

PA261305.jpg

now some others chime in!!!

David

Well here is my lot of 1:1 vehicles. 1st up is my 1986 Toyota Camry. It's my daily driver and I paid $100 for it in WA state. I have put over a hundred thousand miles on it and its about ready to the big 300k here by the next oil change. I even use this to play in the mud :)Fred.jpgDSC05056.jpgDSC05057.jpg

Next up is my wifes 1991 Dodge Shadow convertible. We paid $1500 for it and is family owned since the showroom floor. Has less than 100k on the odometer. 0705100903.jpg

Here is my ex-daily now project 1981 Ford Bronco. I have to fix some front end issues with and plan on rebuilding the engine while I'm in this far. 0116101159.jpgforrealpics.jpgpassfront.jpgbrianspics2006.jpg

And finally my 1980 Yamaha XJ650 project bike. I got this for free and have had it running but needs carb work and a new starter. Has some slight electrical issues to sort out to but will hopefully be my first bike on the street.1027091513a.jpg1027091512.jpg

Nice cars in this thread. Really like the Nova and the old Ford with a flathead.

Here is mine. It is a 2001 Firehawk, 1 of 39 made in White. The engine was rebuilt recently with ported heads, LS-6 cam and springs, and shaved heads to bring the compression up to 11.5:1. All this required a custom dyno tune as well. It is over 425hp at the engine now, and still gets 28 mpg AVERAGE on trips....not much worse than my 4 cylinder Cobalt daily driver. :blink::lol:

frontside.jpg

backside.jpg

white01hawk1.jpg

I would love to have one in scale. I tried doing the hood and adding it to the `98 Trans Am kit, but gave up after a short amount of time. :(