Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone here play guitar?

Hmm...I've heard that the built in distortion isn't very good....I'll be playing all the old school heavy metal like Rush, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, James Gang, etc.

What do I do now? :wacko::lol:

I have the money for this stuff, but I'm saving up for buying parts for my truck...The 4" lift is already $400 out of my bank :(

Edited by Andy C.

2. Don't buy the cheapy electric guitar that your talking about its not worth it! you will be fixing it more than playing it!!! Fender has an electric guitar starter package out to (I KNOW YOUR THINKING IM A DEALER, BUT TRUST ME I'M NOT!) :lol: that would be a good starting point for you.

I agree..cheap guitars are more discouraging than anything else to a new guitar player. The mindset is usually " I'll buy myself / my kid a cheap guitar, and if i/he keeps up with it i'll buy a good one". Well , going that route will more than likely kill the desire to play. Cheap guitars are, well..garbage. They usually have insanely high action, fret buzz and a few dead frets. eventually the guitar gets put aside and forgotten .Spend a few extra dollars, you wont regret it

Hmm...I've heard that the built in distortion isn't very good....I'll be playing all the old school heavy metal like Rush, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, James Gang, etc.

What do I do now? :wacko::lol:

I have the money for this stuff, but I'm saving up for buying parts for my truck...The 4" lift is already $400 out of my bank :(

First..calling Dire Straits Metal is like calling Jethro Tull Metal...it just aint so! :D Dont do that! Then, Check out second hand shops, they're usually a great source of cheap, but really good equipment like distortion pedals, equalizer pedals or whatever else you might need. You could save a small fortune at those places.

also, built in distortion is never any good in my experience, avoid using it if you can!

Edited by Evil Appetite

I used to play some. While I was stationed on Okinawa back in 67-70 I was in a band known as "The Image of Love". Well, that's what we called ourselves anyway. We played for the service clubs and never got paid, just for the fun of it. I still have my guitar and I haven't played it in a whole lot of years now. I bought a Guya Tone guitar from Japan in 1968. I also still have the shirt that we all had made to look the same on stage. Man, those were the days. :) :) Dan

I can play a stereo. I do have a nice Alvarez Yairy or something acoustic guitar I bought back in the 80's. Never stuck with the learning part. It sure is a shame John Rutsy(RIP) didn't stay with the band. I have quite a few Rush CD's. I'm a Pink Floyd fan too. David Gilmour did some albums on his own that are really good. Nick Mason did an album titled (Fictitious Sports) it has some off the wall music but I like it. Smoked a good bit of you know what listening to this stuff. I'm from Indiana. A couple of favorite old Indiana bands is ROADMASTER, They made five albums. I have three that I found released on CD. And a group called THE ELECTRIC AMISH. They took famous rock songs and wrote Amish words to them. Really funny stuff! For 96 cents I went to a Roadmaster concert at the Mars Theater In Lafayette, Indiana. They played for two hours. It was only 96 cents because the radio station Z96 promoted the afair. It was my first concert experience too. This was in 1980.

Edited by Greg Wann

I agree, but I also think it'll do the job if you;re a 13 year old on a budget like Andy is..

In that case, it'll do. Sorry Andy...I didn't realize you were 13! Thats about the age i started as well. When i was in school..i'd pick it up as soon as I got home. When I was all done with school i'd play 15 hours a day. I literally had my mockingbird on me at every waking hour! That went on for 10 years or so..it was so bad! I even had to choose between my guitar and my girlfriend..guess which one won hehe I was 2 years past legal drinking age before I even went to my first bar! Play every moment you can!

Yeah, but that was about 500 years ago.... Had a 65 LP Sunburst mostly all jacked up, had the wrong nut... made the action too high and ###### buzzing humbukers - they were good, just not installed correctly. Never really liked the muddiness of a LP, but there was never anything else I got along with either. I broke a finger in 1988 and that was pretty much the end of that.

Edited by CAL

Budget [Read NEW] guitars tend to be somewhat lacking I admit. My advice is a used guitar. I almost exclusively buy used guitars and with someone to help there is no reason you cannot buy an excellent fiddle for nominal bucks. You say you like Metal a biit? Hard rock?

I suggest either Japanese Jacksons and Charvels. I wouldn't rule out LTD ESP's, Schecters or Ibanez as well. These are near pro level student instruments that can be tweaked to play like 1,500.00 guitars. They usually come with 1 or 2 humbuckers of decent tone and necks that are not baseball bats. Want a vibrato? Floyd Rose knockoffs are usually on this price range and are usually very reliable as well. Get a hard tail if the bar isn't for you.

Make certain the tuners are up to snuff, the frets are not chunked and the fretboard is straight and true. This is done by sighting down the fretboard from the bottom towards the nut, looked for any crookedness in the neck. A back bow is OK because the truss rod can be tweaked. I like ZERO relief in my necks, some like a little back bow, some like it low in the middle. I like LOW action but some like it a little raised. Metal guitars tend to have a flatter radius to them. More traditional guitars have more radius making fast playing [You are not there yet LOL] more difficult.

I have been recommending guitars to students for years. I have had perhaps 75-100 students over those years. I have never had my advice come back to me.

If you have 200.00 to spend you can get a guitar you will enjoy. I know I can go into a store and pick a 200.00 guitar that i can tweak to play and sound great. If they have an in-house tech guy, then push them to have him give it the once over before you take it home so you know it works 100% Try it on cheapo amps, try it on a 2000.00 Mesa Boogie.

Buying new is OK of course, but old or used guitars already have songs in them.

Bob

I have been playing for about 17 years, play a little bit of everything from George Jones to Lamb Of God. Here is a video of the band I was in. One of our buddies did the video, pretty stupid actually, good song though.

Edited by lrlocke01

I've been playing acoustic for 3 years, like playing anything from blues to acoustic to funk. I can sorta read sheet music, but I can't play it. By that I mean it takes me a few hours to go over the notes, matching them to notes on the guitar and tabbing it out :P Owell, sheet music's for piano anyway, we guitarists play by ear :lol:

All the best with your journey learning guitar Andy, just practice heaps and enjoy it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this one today:

Ohh, ohh, ohh... That one's easy on the eyes... I'll bet it has a really beautiful, mellow tone... Christian, what's the make and model?

On the topic of, 'Who plays...', I have a nice Fender acoustic, have taken lessons, was getting to know my way around pretty well... Just lost the urge to play after Mom died... I know I'll pick it up again someday. I like the sound of a well picked guitar too much to let it go completely