Model Cars Magazine Forum

RAT ROD GRIND HOUSE

He only recently got a digital camera and has yet to figure out the photo storing thing. Plus... he drives truck and has two kids, a beautiful wife and a mortgage.

And he has me bugging him to get his '55 two door post back on the street.... (I gotta' stop doing that)

Wheeler, I think all these trucks are singing to ya! :lol:

Wow, what a bunch of beauties. I have to say I have a soft spot for these types of vehicles, and I make no apologies for it.

Yeah, I'm noticing lots of these have faux-patina on them.

Didn't someone buy one a glass 37 from Boyd or something, and then DRILLED rust holes in it ???? I can't backflip, but I came close, that was too funny.

Shane, is this the 37 your thinking of?

Theres a full article on it here... http://www.streetrod...pe/viewall.html

Unless (gulp) there are two of them, that's it. But I seem to remember it was in hot rod mag, that it had a red interior and the story was he bought a complete car for some astronomical amount of money and then gave it this treatment. So it very well could be the same....just don't get it though.

Edited by moparmagiclives

I've been away and lurking on and off - I saw this tread and had to comment.

Lance Sorchik , an illustrator for the Rodder Digest has had the mantra or "In the Rough is Just Enough" for decades. His fenderless '33 ford coupe has been in "Jersey Suede" since the mid 80s. Now Lance doesn't call his car a rat - I'm pretty sure he considers it traditional.

Robert Williams, ironically, has since painted his car magenta and chartruse with gold leaf numbers - just before Rat Rods became really popular.

It wouldn't surprise me that Gray Baskerville termed the name Rat Rod - he is like the Shakespeare of the car hobby.

It wouldn't surprise me that Gray Baskerville termed the name Rat Rod - he is like the Shakespeare of the car hobby.

Nope, he denied that assertion when I talked to him on the phone shortly before he passed away. He said it came from a member of the "Shifters" car club during an interview for an article during the early 90's.

I was asked by Revell back then to do research on where the name first came from prior to Revell releasing the diecast Rat Rods in '98.

when i built this model i had no intention of it ever being a rat rod or considered to be one. it's paint scheme/finish were inspired by a similar car from Vern Tardels Ford ranch

model9-5-07cars097.jpg

looking back on it now i can certainly see where most people who see it would think it is a "rat" and i think that's unfortunate. what were considered to be hot rods before are now viewed by too many as being a "cool rat rod" and stuff gets lumped together that shouldn't be. i like the earned patina thing and i think it can be cool but it's not universally cool on everything.

What scale is that? Looks sweet. To me, that looks like a hot rod, that needs a little tlc and ppg, but not a rat rod.. I'm not sure the guys running those magazines are sure what is and isn't anymore either. I quite buying low rider mag when it turned into one big sales add, and I stopped geting the rat mags when they turned into nothing but rockabilly/tattoo convention coverage partys.

Edited by moparmagiclives