Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the deal with Johan

There was a really good Johan topic somewhere on the forum, but I can't seem to locate it. A European member had actually visited Detroit and the Johan building in the '90s IIRC, and maybe posted some pics of the inside? The ending was typical., though- the building was razed years ago and is now a parking lot. Google Maps confirms it.

It was Risto from Finland and the thread is here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20855&st=0

And here is his photoalbum of the visit:

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/Modellpularn/JO-HAN/

Edited by Junkman

It's the spelling of JO-HAN which always gets me...won't get it wrong from now on. -_-

I wonder if anyone took similar photos of the Monogram factory in Morton Grove, IL, before it was razed to make way for some condos?

It does seem like Spaulding got the short end.

Yeah, he did... because at the time of the deal there was no "Jo-Han" left to speak of... and I assume he knew that going in. All he really got was the name, not much else. Okey's "Jo-Han" is in name only.

I thought I read in a magazine that Seville Leased the tools from Jo-Han in 80 or later.

The USA Oldies were being released as ealy as 72-4. I know, I have a few.

I had 2 of the Marlin, The older purchase wasm olded in White & still had the Metal axles,

while the second kit I bought was molded in a softer Red styrene, and had the heavy

thick plastic axles.

I need to check my kits. I have the 5 62's Dodge & Plymouth hardtops & Converts, and the 300.

I bought the 63 Fury was finally re-issued in 79-81, and the 68 Cadillac Convertible Deville.

Both my 64 Deville's have the plastic axles. I was surprised to see the originals had the steering

last seen in the Ambulance/Hearse kits.

I have an OLD ad that shows AMT made Power window cranks for Buick/GM/Aftermarket in 59.

I am curious as to how many of the Kit companys did something besides promos for the Big auto industry

I too am a huge fan of johan, wheather it be the early stuff (old flat boxes) or the seville stuff. I currently have 486 Johan kits. I have at least one of everything Johan put out. It has taken me about 20 solid years of dilligent collecting to amass my collection. Im constantly trolling ebay and other sites for more. Most are in storage, very well packaged and protected. I think it hs been atleast 10 years since it hs all been in one place, which makes me sad. One day ill get a small building i can properly display it.

I too am a huge fan of johan, wheather it be the early stuff (old flat boxes) or the seville stuff. I currently have 486 Johan kits. I have at least one of everything Johan put out. It has taken me about 20 solid years of dilligent collecting to amass my collection. Im constantly trolling ebay and other sites for more. Most are in storage, very well packaged and protected. I think it hs been atleast 10 years since it hs all been in one place, which makes me sad. One day ill get a small building i can properly display it.

I would love to see a group picture of all of them. Or even just a complete list of every Jo-han kit made with the variations of each. I thought that I was doing good with about 35 unbuilts and twenty or so built ones.

I would love to see a group picture of all of them. Or even just a complete list of every Jo-han kit made with the variations of each. I thought that I was doing good with about 35 unbuilts and twenty or so built ones.

I second that! Even a list would be very interesting.

It would at the very least give me a goal to aim for, it would be very neat to read. I figure that I have 30 out so years to amass the kits that I want from Jo-han. I have a ways to go, but there are a few of the more rare and expensive kits that I don't have an intrest in.

My hats off to you.

And here I thought I was obsessed . I might have between 40 and 50 if I count unbuilt and builders alike.

Most of what interests me are muscle car era subjects, and IMO, Johan was at the top of the game then. Even today when you compare them to modern tooled kits they are still at the the top for the most part.

As an example the look at the AMT 1969 GTX versus Johans 1969 GTX kit , there is no comparison

• 4 weeks later...

now we know exactly what it means when someone says "they broke the mold..."... literally. unlike nearly all of R2's stock, JoHan unbuilts are a finite number, unlikely to ever be released as original ever again.

Don't believe that for one moment. I have two words for you- REVERSE ENGINEERING. ;)

Don't believe that for one moment. I have two words for you- REVERSE ENGINEERING. ;)

And who is going to do that?

They aren't engineering a bloody thing, be it forward or reverse.

Curt is right, we will never see the stuff being made again.

I have only 1 Johan kit, a 1964 Cadillac. A friend of mine dug some kits out of the attic and gave it to me. Nice kit in great shape it was only missing a taillight lense. I bought a replacement from Modelhaus. You guys are right, very nice tooling. Last I looked the kit was worth around $90-100.

That's probably Revell that you're thinking of. I don't recall anything metalflake coming from Johan but, of course, the old memory ain't what it used to be!

never built one, but i thought JoHan had clear bodies. paint inside for 'flake, outside for smooth