Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 65 Ranchero ..... Box Stock

So here it is ..... the first Trumpeter 65 Ranchero to be built .... Other then a couple of minor issues that I easily fixed, it's straight foward build right out of the box.

Picture207-vi.jpg

Picture172-vi.jpg

Picture183-vi.jpg

In my rush to get it done I placed the Ranchero scripts in the wrong spot. They should be just above the side moulding not below it like on the '64 model.

Picture191-vi.jpg

Picture195-vi.jpg

For those who want to see it up close it will be at the upcoming iHobby Expo on display in the Stevens International booth along with the '64 Falcon HT I recently showed you. If you missed the build up just follow the link below.

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=47496

Thanks for looking !

-Steve

Really great build, and this one shows, the kit is really great too! Nice paintjob, very smooth and shiny too. I like those wheels and tires, they look very realistic. Engine bay looks great too. I like it, this is a must have kit. Maybe stock, or Mild Custom... :huh:

Fantastic job on a very nice looking little kit, Steve. The scripts actually did go there on the cars with the optional 66H two tone trim that came with two tone paint. Let's just call this one a factory variation.

-MJS

That works for me Mike, thanks for cutting me some slack ...... If I could do it over again I would swap out the tires and wheels, use some stainless wire for the antenna mast. Maybe use some photo etch scripts assuming they're out there. I would also fix the intake and exhaust to something more realistic. Some plug wires and underhood labels would help it too.

I'm thinking of doing one as '64 model using parts from the hardtop kit like the dash, grille and tail lamps .....

-Steve

Overall, and after looking at the few minor "Fixes " you did Steve , I can truthfully say , this is one Trumpiteer kit I might actually buy . After looking at the disaster that tried to pass for a Pontiac H T , I simply put the parts back in a box and that was several years ago. I looked at a couple of Nova Convertibles as i had a relative who owned one . That too soured me . One would have hoped the Monte Carlo wouldn't have been a sorry addition too. However , looks like those underfed Chinese slaves may have been given extra rice rations in cutting the molds .

Steve , you're work is great . Ed Shaver

David , actually you are correct . The Ford six cylinder engines were generally used probably five to one 260 V-8 during that time .It probably wasn't until about 1970 that the 302 overtook the older 200 six cylinder engine lead the lighter Falcons had held onto for so many years . Of course we all know that the Torino Ranchero's were a might heavier and didn't respond well to the 200. Ed Shaver

A beautiful build! Unfortunately, looks like trumpeter screwed up the grille, looks like they added a center divider to the 64 grille, which is incorrect. The 65 grille was convex, not concave as it was in 64, and only the horizontal bars showed through. Too bad they couldn't get something that noticeable correct, especially at this price!

Very nice impressive build, The colors fit the car very well. I just wish these were just a little cheaper in price though. As far as the un needed coments I would just ignore them, No use in it. It it wasn't for ALL of our model kits being made oversea's we wouldn't have anything to build ,AMT,Revell, almost everything you buy now is made over there, Plus the quality of the kits in the past few years has improved alot, Just enjoy the build ,As I am.

Edited by spkgibson

i didn't notice the missing ribs from the inside of the bed but then this is another subject that i'm not really at all into as far as the 1:1 cars go. i do like the later ones but even then i probably wouldn't have noticed if they were missing from a kit of one of those either. i'll leave the fine details like that up to the experts and enthusiasts of these things.

I'm not into this car either, but the smooth walls in the bed looked odd to me... so I did a google search. And I also noticed just now that the FORD letters on the tailgate are missing.

That's not to imply that Steve's model is bad... actually I think he did a beautiful job. Since Steve specified that his build is OOB, I have no complaint with his work. I'm just pointing out a few things I noticed that are missing in the kit, for whatever it's worth.

I'm not into this car either, but the smooth walls in the bed looked odd to me... so I did a google search. And I also noticed just now that the FORD letters on the tailgate are missing.

That's not to imply that Steve's model is bad... actually I think he did a beautiful job. Since Steve specified that his build is OOB, I have no complaint with his work.I'm just pointing out a few things I noticed that are missing in the kit, for whatever it's worth.

My point exactly for doing the online build up was so everyone has a chance to see what you could do with what's in the box and to have a good discussion about this kit on it's own merits. I really wasn't seeking praise or criticism of my workmanship but I certaintly do appreciate the comments.

I did notice the lack of "FORD" lettering on the tailgate, same issue as on their other Falcon kit deck lids. I missed the bedside wall issue, good catch Harry ! Price notwithstanding, I think it's still a decent kit worth building ...... It could have been a great kit if Trumpeter had worked closer with their associates here in the US to get the details right. Why they didn't is something I don't understand considering the digital age we live in.

For those who still plan to buy and build this kit I would like to challenge you to take it to the next level and work outside the box a little. I would really like to see how it would look with some kit bashed wheels and tires, and apparently some minor corrective surgery could be applied to some areas I didn't address. I may take another shot at it myself down the road .....

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

It could have been a great kit if Trumpeter had worked closer with their associates here in the US to get the details right.

They wouldn't even have to do that. They could have done a simple google image search. If I can do it, they can do it. No excuse for missing obvious details like the bed wall ribs and the "FORD" letters on the tailgate. No excuse at all, not when literally hundreds of images are just a mouse click away.

They wouldn't even have to do that. They could have done a simple google image search. If I can do it, they can do it. No excuse for missing obvious details like the bed wall ribs and the "FORD" letters on the tailgate. No excuse at all, not when literally hundreds of images are just a mouse click away.

Not to start a cultural debate but your making the assumption that your average Chinese worker has the same internet freedoms we all take for granted here. Even if he managed the access and found the photos, do you think that same Chinese worker could just go tell his supervisor or another co-worker he's wrong or made a mistake ? ..... My limited contact with the kit industry on that side of the world and my close contacts who deal with them on a regular basis tell me that it's totally different ball game over there. Even with an American company paying the bills getting changes made is like pulling teeth. Trumpeter has no big U.S. company holding on to the cash until it's done right. Just a U.S. distributor with limited input on what we're getting. I wish the situation was different but what can you do ...... ?

Edited by SteveG