Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Legendary SURFERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuel Coupe

This is such a cool build. You have done some great work so far and it looking good. I really like the hand laced wheels that you did and the scratch build magneto. look forward to more progress on this one.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here's a quick update. After looking at pics of the chassis I realized it was way off and too long through the cockpit. I also missed the upswept chassis so to get the front down I made the front axle too long So I did a little cutting to clear those problems up so hopefully I'm on track now.

DSC_0932.jpg

DSC_0933.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

DSC_0931.jpg

DSC_0930.jpg

DSC_0929.jpg

DSC_0928.jpg

Like I said, Pretty lame update but I just wanted to share my little set back I think everyone can see it definitely helped the look of the car. I'll start detailing the engine and paint the chassis for the next update. Thanks again guys for allowing me to hang with such great builders. The drag section of theis forum is full of some really top notch builders...

Looks fantastic Shane! Not sure I would have caught the proportion issues until you mentioned them, but of course that's why your stuff looks so good...BTW, is that a speedway bike in the background?

Also, I'd be glad to do you some decals sometime...I've just done fictional cars though, never tried to make any for replicas...Not sure I could do anything worthy of the quality of your builds though.

I'll be in touch Jack. I have a bantam bodied Lyndwood chassis car I want build after this . It has simple white lettering. Hopefully we can pull it off. Oh and Yes Jack, That is a JAWA Speeday bike. Really nice early kit..

Heres another small update.

I started running the fuel lines for the car am trying to replicate the sophisticated fuel system as no one else was running it. Scratch built pump and fuel blocks as well as scratch built blower belt from the card stock that RB motion uses on their packaging and some .22x.22 square stock I personally feel that now that its built that the square stock should have been smaller if available.

DSC_0936.jpg

DSC_0937.jpg

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0938.jpg

Edited by Fuel Coupe

Thanks guys, Means a lot coming from all of you. I'm just a hack compared to some here.

Here's a small update on the fuel system, I studied quite a few pics and think I may have the elaborate fuel system sorted out.

DSC_0975.jpg

DSC_0976.jpg

DSC_0977.jpg

DSC_0978.jpg

I need to install the fuel linkage and the return spring.

Thanks again guys

When I was watching the coverage of "The Big Go" INDY on ESPN2 today, Mike Dunn told us his # 1 coolest car (over the past few races Mike's been telling us his Top 5 Coolest Cars from NHRA history), # 1 was the Surfers Dragster. It was one of the 1st cars to run 100% Nitro.

Richard... I saw the same thing yesterday about Mike Dunn saying this was this favorite Coolest car. Very cool.

Shane... this is looking great man. The injector hat looks great and so does the tuck n roll seat. Keep up the great work!

Yeah, Mike's choices were all great, & the Shane, the Dragster is looking good, the engine is coming out nice!

Wow... I just came across this build. I have to say those laced bicycle wheels look fanfrikintastic! I am extremely amazed at your attention to detail with the brass hubs and half axles. As Wayne said "Hack" shouldn't be in your vocab... because you have noticed area's for improvement and even went back and made changes.

This is why I like to post in forums.. Other can help with catching things I may have overlooked. So when I get feedback it is always welcomed.

Thanks Guys, Compared to some of you I am a hack. I saw the Surfers coverage on the U.S. Nats and was blown away by it.

The seat is just sheet styrene and half rod. Its not entirely accurate but it works.

Here's a small update

Got the scratch built front axle hung

DSC_0985.jpg

Better shot of the scoop

DSC_0986.jpg

Rebuilt axle

DSC_0987.jpg

interior shot

DSC_0990.jpg

Thanks again