Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Hurst/Oldsmobile Convertible Is Finished!

mrmike

Another kit that has been in the stash for a couple of years is this Revell '72 Hurst/Olds Convertible. I decided to give this excellent kit a try. After looking online for details and options, I have decided on the Turbo Hydra-matic 400 trans and console, full Hurst/Olds graphics, and no rear spoiler. I'll add white letter tires using Shabo tire graphics.
Hurst01.jpg
My paint will be MCW #6907 Cameo White.
Hurst02.jpg
Hurst03.jpg
More to come...
Edited by mrmike

Thanks Shane! So far, I really like this kit! No flash, very little in the way of mold lines, and great parts fit.

I have assembled the engine and trans. The engine will be painted Olds Engine Blue, but I don't have any right now. I have to run a few errands today so I'll hit the LHS for some and any extra supplies that I'll need in the future. I am undecided if I'll wire the engine or not.
Hurst04.jpg
I detail painted the wheels with Testors Gold Enamel.
Hurst05.jpg
I detail painted the grille with Pactra Flat White and Pactra Flat Black paints. The headlight buckets were detailed using a black Sharpie.
Hurst06.jpg
I am using the Chuck Kourouklis article in the October 2010 Issue of Scale Auto for reference.
More to come...

I painted the engine this morning with Model Master Olds Engine Blue and my Badger Universal 360 airbrush. And, yes...the valve covers are on backwards. I can't remove them since they are really glued on to the block and I would end up destroying the whole assembly if I tried.
Hurst07.jpg
The body, hood, mirrors, and grille piece are primed and almost ready for some MCW #6907 Cameo White.
Hurst08.jpg
Hurst09.jpg
More to come...

Thanks Erik! Yes, this is a great kit indeed!

I threw a few parts into the purple pond and after 5 days, this is the result...some chrome has been removed and some remains. Purple Power has changed its formula and it is quite weak in its ability to remove chrome or paint. I am very dis-satisfied with this product and I will not purchase it anymore.
Hurst10.jpg
The body and associate pieces have been painted with MCW #6907 Cameo White. Some wet-sanding is next as there is some orange peel on the body and hood.
Hurst11.jpg
Hurst12.jpg
More to come...

John, the interior will be painted various shades of black.

In the few spare minutes I have at the end of the day, I try working on my models and I have working on the engine.
Hurst13.jpg
The auto trans has been painted and is ready to be assembled with the engine.
Hurst14.jpg
The remaining engine parts have been paint detailed.
Hurst15.jpg
More to come...

A good kit in good hands is always a good thing to see.

I'm a little disappointed to hear about Purple Power; seems more mandated "improvements" from on high may be to blame. For paint removal, looks like I might be going back to Easy-Off fume free.

If I may, Mike, try bleach for the chrome stripping. I find putting that in a plastic jar with a threaded plastic lid works very well- seals tight and doesn't stink too bad. While I haven't tried it on newer Revell plating, I've found on mid-late 1990s vintage AMT plastic, it doesn't take more than around an hour to remove the plating. I then use the clear lacquer beneath as a "primer" coat.

I'll enjoy watching this come to life.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys!

Charlie, I will keep bleach in mind when I need to strip chrome next time.

Jay, the October 2010 issue is available for purchase through Scale Auto's site.

At this point, the engine is complete save for the air cleaner assembly.
Hurst16.jpg
Hurst17.jpg
I have painted the interior, chassis, and other parts Krylon Satin Black. Some pieces will require additional detail painting with other colors.
Hurst18.jpg
More to come...

Mike, this stuff strips off chrome and it's undercoating in less than an hour...a few minutes in some cases. Cheap, too. Get the big jug because you will love it. Great at stripping enamel paints, as well.

LA's Totally Awesome Concentrated Degreaser.

Product_FRT_%20Images_Degreasers.jpg

Edited by Gluhead

Thanks guys!

Chris, I'll have to check out the LA Totally Awesome.

Charlie, snow removal was completed early yesterday afternoon...I think... :blink:

Steve, thanks for the link. Some good pictures there and I'll refer to them for reference.

Skip, I suppose I'll have to make a bracket for the alternator now. I don't need anybody jumping on my sorry and sore bones. :o

The chassis is complete.

Hurst19.jpg
With the engine and driveshaft installed.
Hurst20.jpg
This view makes me really happy. The exhaust system lines up with the exhaust manifolds.
Hurst21.jpg
More to come...

James, I highly recommend this kit! It's not perfect, but then what kit is?!!

Charlie, it is unfortunate that Shabo went out of business and I wish I knew why. At this point I can only speculate.

The instrument panel has been painted and decals have been applied.
Hurst25.jpg
The center console, steering wheel and steering column have been detailed and awaiting to be assembled.
Hurst26.jpg
The side panels have been paint detailed and are awaiting BMF and decals.
Hurst27.jpg
More to come...