Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAMIYA-CON 2009

monkeyclaw

Just wanted to let you guys know; I spoke with a Tamiya rep today; and indeed Taniya will NOT being holding Tamiya-Con (AGAIN) for 2009. I kunda had a feeling it was going to be off again, as there has been no word at all from them.....and it's now January. It's a real bummer that this event has been Cancelled for two years running; and I personally think that Tamiya is seriously hurting their U.S. market, by skipping out on what was one of the premier model events in the U.S. for many years. I just can't wrap my head around how Tamiya can be struggling....much of their production is now offshore; their kit prices have doubled in the past couple years, and God knows they haven't spent much on new tooling in OUR segment of the hobby....just the same old stuff (with $10 worth of P/E included now). I guess my biggest issue as a modeler is Tamiyas' unwillingness to listen to what their customers want....for several years now they have focused on doing these ridiculous and ultra expensive "pre-built" (masterworks) products.....what's not to get....modelers derive their enjoyment fromt he BUILDING process....and the simple fact that they have all of the tooling from the preassembled stuff; but refuse to jit it up in plastic just chaps my cheeks...one could effectively double the productivity of the tooling by offering the platic kit; as well as the assembled in a third world country, by people who have never even SEEN an Enzo Ferrari....but they just won't....At this point I hope that trumpeter does a good job with the GT-40, so that we might have some alternative building subjects....especially in the BIG scale.....(sorry for the rant) Matt