Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 AEC Routemaster(London Bus)

Guest Johnny

Wonderful build. I wonder what the exchange rate is between the dollar and the pound. That kit sells for 100 to 135 dollars here in the states. Might be cheaper to buy it online from overseas. I want to build one myself as it would be something a little different.

I was looking into that and from what I can figure the shipping was more than the kit and came out to be about what you would probably pay here.

I could be wrong. But sure would love to get one to build my self! :lol:

I was looking into that and from what I can figure the shipping was more than the kit and came out to be about what you would probably pay here.

I could be wrong. But sure would love to get one to build my self! :lol:

Wandered about that Found some on evilbay $99 free shipping

Guest Johnny

Wandered about that Found some on evilbay $99 free shipping

If that is a right, that is a great deal from all I can find! Just checked and Tower Hobbies has it at 130 I believe with free shipping.

Hi guys, it just goes to show that you really do have to shop around for certain kits, I was very lucky when I purchased mine from my local hobby shop as my friend gets discount from Revell and he passes the discount on to all his customers and because he knew that I had wanted the Routemaster ever since it first appeared in the catalogue listed as a 1/32 kit, he gave me extra discount. Sometimes it pays to be loyal to your local hobby shop...!!!

Hi Darren, firstly I would like to say that like me, you bought the Haynes Routemaster book which has some excellent reference pics inside and you will find it very useful whilst you are building your bus. You are right in saying that the chassis and engine is mainly in silver, I must admit, I really did'nt do much to mine as I wanted to give the impression of a well kept bus or even a restored one so the chassis has'nt recieved much weathering at all except for the exhaust which was painted in Gunmetal and then weathered with Tamiya rust pastels. The gearbox was also painted in Gunmetal just to break up the vast expanse of silver but the Tamiya weathering pastels would work fine if you wanted to give the impression of a hard worked bus.As for what silver to use, I used Humbrol no11 silver from a spray can but if you can't get Humbrol paints, then I suppose you could use Tamiya Aluminium as I think the Tamiya silver would be a bit too bright for use on a chassis.

I really am pleased that I am giving you some input towards helping you with yours, it really would be great to see another one on the forum.Best of luck with your build and don't forget to message me with any more questions that you may have.

I will for sure, thank you so much for all the inputs, i still have several hours just cleaning up the seats and the seat frames, one last question for now is what did you paint the grab handles on the seat post and in the entrance to the bus? Silver? or something else? Thank you again for your time.

Thanks for your comments Hary Bare, it's suprising to see that Routemasters can be seen all over he world, I have a handbook from a few years ago which tells you the wherabouts of all the surviving Routemasters in the world and who owns them.I will have to try and look this paricular one up.

Hello again Darren, you asked me about the grab handles on the seat frames ; to be honest all I did was paint them silver along with the seat frames at the same time. I wish you all the best with the seats, the decals were very time consuming and believe me, you will be glad when they are all finished!!

Mark, thank you again, yeah not looking forward to the decals on the seats,, and all the sanding on the seats and the seat frames is getting old as well but hopefully after that it wont seem to be so relenting!!! Again you have done an awesome job and I hope mine comes out to be as cool as yours. Thanks again for all your help.