Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nobody Remembers ? ( Chris Ekonomaki )

It was a very sad day on friday, Chris Economaki covered NASCAR , and this place really isnt a hot bed of NASCAR fans, so i am not surprised that no one brought it up earlier

He was one of the most highly respected men in the garage area, and in the media world, and he was the best at what he did, he will be missed

I would not be shocked at all if he was inducted into the NASCAR media HOF, I think he should be anyway

RIP

It was a very sad day on friday, Chris Economaki covered NASCAR ,

He didn't just cover NASCAR, he did it all. Indy, Formula 1, midgets, sprints, there was hardly any form of racing that Chris didn't cover.

His paper, National Speed Sport News, was THE bible of the motorsports world and anybody who was anybody both in or out of the sport read it every week.

He didn't just cover NASCAR, he did it all. Indy, Formula 1, midgets, sprints, there was hardly any form of racing that Chris didn't cover.

His paper, National Speed Sport News, was THE bible of the motorsports world and anybody who was anybody both in or out of the sport read it every week.

You are right my mistake, ESPN did a short piece before todays race, and talked about what he did, another one of my dumb moments

I had not heard or read that Chris Economaki had passed away, that's too bad. I remember Chris clear back to his ABC's Wide World pf sports days. Drew's correct he reported on anything with wheels that went fast or slow. I can still vividly remember him covering a whole lot of early NHRA (Garlits shaving his beard for one), Indy 500, Fire Truck & Ladder competition, Soapbox Derby Championships, Slot Cars, Off Road Racing (Baja 500 & 1000) Motocross (with real mud and dirt put there by nature), World D-Derby Championships in Islip, New York. It was something new every Saturday, when motorsports were treated as a filler between sports seasons. I remember him as an excellent color comentator who was truely interested in motorsports and was interesting because of it. You would probably be pretty hard pressed to remember just what he did cover back in the early '60's, including NASCAR.

They did have a moment of silence for Chris before today's race, a nice tribute for a man who spent his life covering all types of motorsports.

The racing world also lost Bob Newton, the founder of Hoosier Tire, this past week. He and his wife started their operation in an Indiana barn back in the 50s and at one time was giving Goodyear a run for the money supplying tires to NASCAR.

Many a short track, Saturday night racer is aware of the impact Hoosier Tire has had on the racing world.

He wrote the manual on pit reporting. He earned the trust of racing teams during an era when they had no particular affections for reporters during a race. Mostly, he was insightful without blathering. While general sports announcers like Jim McKay called the race, Chris was the one who worked.