Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT OPEL GT RERELEASE.

azers

I just picked up amts release of their Opel kit. This one is molded in white. I especially like the tires. It has tampo printed slicks, tampo printed polyglass tires and what looks like four stock style tires. Three sets of wheels. And i especially like the aluminum air stacks. I dont remember the drag parts when i built this a long time ago. What is with the single chrome reverse wheel? I will definitely need to pick up another one of these.

I just gave the kit a quick glance when i got home will try to post photos tonite or tomorrow.

Ok here are a few pictures. This is of the tires. Two slicks, four polyglass tires, and 4 stock type tires. Also a picture of the turned aluminum stacks and metal axles.

IMAG0036_zps858b3c82.jpg

Chrome tree IMAG0037_zps830044cc.jpg

More of body. And extra pieces. The drag pieces and v6 pieces are in separate bags

IMAG0038_zpsac46f80f.jpg

Decals IMAG0039_zps896ba178.jpg

Two sets of tailights one stock and one custom. IMAG0040_zps3ac49144.jpg

Box lid this is their special edition boxes with a framable picture in bottom. IMAG0041_zps5c8fe221.jpg

This looks like a fun kit. Im going to wait for the yellow edition now. I would buy this just for the tires and wheels. Lots of extra goodies. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Not my best but ill get better. All they had at my lhs was the white, now ill hunt down the yellow one. I bought it for the buick v6. The tires and wheels are bonuses. I am going to combine this v6 with the one in the indy 500 firebird and should be able to build a fairly accurate engine since they are both the same block.

after hearing about this reissue i went back and looked at my older version...yeah what is up with that one chrome reverse rim? but this new one i will get just for those stacks i think. cant get over that box art though...no one, and i mean no one, would build a car like that. it looks ridiculous! not only that, the art work makes it look like it is camaro size which anyone who has ever seen one knows is way off. but a nice motorsport version will look great, too bad they didnt include some SCCA style parts for the more reality based builder. that buick v6 is very nice too though totally inappropriate for this car. what were those guys at AMT smoking? whatever it was, i want some. anyway its good to see this back with some kool parts and decals...even if the box art is a laugh fest.

edit to ask: how many aluminum stacks are included, 6?

Edited by jbwelda

that buick v6 is very nice too though totally inappropriate for this car.

Since it's not the stock engine, one could argue any engine would be appropriate, but considering the diminutive size of the car itself and the fact these cars were marketed and sold through Buick dealerships in the U.S., the Buick V6 makes a lot of sense to me. From pics I've seen via on of Mark's/Scalemaster's Super7 builds in which he used the V6 block, the engine doesn't have much detail, which is typical of AMT kits back then.

I will try to dig up the topic, but I recall someone from Round2 stating the tooling needed to be cleaned up, and I know Chuck Most mentioned the hood in the RC2-ers reissue was ill-fitting, so I'm guessing Round2 spent most of their budget for this kit backdating parts and repairing the molds. The Polyglas GT tires and aluminum injector tubes are another nice bonus, which Round2 seems intent on including with the older reissued kit to give us more value.

>Since it's not the stock engine, one could argue any engine would be appropriate, but considering the diminutive size of the car itself and

>the fact these cars were marketed and sold through Buick dealerships in the U.S., the Buick V6 makes a lot of sense to me.

you have a point there but not hilborn-esque fuel injected V6 with big ole intake stacks sticking through the hood. i would almost put money that nothing like that ever existed (but thats usually a sure sign that i am going to lose).

really too bad there arent SCCA road course parts included, now that would be appropriate. but i will get one anyhow. appropriateness is kinda over rated sometimes.

you have a point there but not hilborn-esque fuel injected V6 with big ole intake stacks sticking through the hood. i would almost put money that nothing like that ever existed (but thats usually a sure sign that i am going to lose).

I call. :D

prostreet.jpg

I can't ever recall seeing any other Hilborn style injection setups on a Buck V6, though, so I would agree that while making sense on paper, it was rarely done in real life.

really too bad there arent SCCA road course parts included, now that would be appropriate. but i will get one anyhow. appropriateness is kinda over rated sometimes.

A set of four-lug Minilite wheels would've been a nice inclusion, but they shouldn't be too hard to source....or just find a set of Watanabes.

I will probably pick one up and build the targa concept on the left:

Opel-GT-coupe-and-convertible.jpg

Here's a decent article on the car, with some nice reference shots:

http://hooniverse.com/2013/03/11/a-ride-in-the-opel-gt/

Buddy Ingersoll ran an injected dual turbo V-6 Buick Regal in Pro Stock in the mid '80s. Unfortunately, when he got the bugs worked out and began putting the hurt on the big blocks, it got declared illegal. IIRC, there were a few Indy cars during that time period that ran a similar setup.

Thanks guys. Not my best but ill get better. All they had at my lhs was the white, now ill hunt down the yellow one. I bought it for the buick v6. The tires and wheels are bonuses. I am going to combine this v6 with the one in the indy 500 firebird and should be able to build a fairly accurate engine since they are both the same block.

If you don't need them I am looking for a set of the four spoke chrome wheels that are in this kit, they are close enough to the old Appliance wheels that I had on the Pinto that my wife & I had as our first car. Those are about the last parts I need to start on a model of it. I wish I had that back, it was the most reliable car that I have ever had. Fast too, with a minor tune, long tube headers & a 2 1/2 inch diameter exhaust system it sure surprised a lot of V-8 powered cars locally.

After looking over this kit more and from the wifes input im going to build this little car stock with the four cylinder . I havent been so excited to build a model till this came out. This will be fun.

Wow, those L60s are going to look HUGE on this car. I was surprised how tiny and compact these cars are after seeing one up close a few years ago, but they do have some nice lines.

GT_1.jpg

I've always thought these were cool since I lived in Germany when they were new.

MVC007F-vi.jpg

Per Casey's photo above, the modern Opel GT is available as a Maisto diecast. Here it is on the left, next to the US Saturn Sky which is a dead ringer! Maisto also does the Pontiac version.

I'm glad to see the kit back, but why in that odd size box?

Edited by Tom Geiger

Looks like a nice kit. I built the original kit in about 1970. I used the V-6 in a T-bucket rod. the 6's shorter length allowed me to shorten the frame by about 6 scale inches or so. I always thought T-bucket rods looked too long with V-8's. Here's a pic of the T. I rebuilt it about 10 years ago. The inset in the photo shows what it looked like before. It was covered with dust and literally falling apart!

Sam

3815961575_8a1d2754b4.jpg