Model Cars Magazine Forum

Michael Schumacher in a coma after a ski accident

Quick GMC

I'm confused about lack of information in this thread. Why does everything have to be a link to some other site? Why can't people just write a quick summary of what they read somewhere else?

• 2 weeks later...

His wife had a staffed hospital wing built onto their home in Switzerland (supposedly about $2 million), prepared for his convalescence. He is out of the coma, but far from being out of the woods.

Edited by sjordan2

• 4 weeks later...

Corinna Schumacher has delivered an encouraging message about the progress of her injured husband.

Now out of his long coma, F1 legend Michael Schumacher was transferred from intensive care in Grenoble to a Swiss rehabilitation clinic three weeks ago.

No official updates have been provided since then, but his wife Corinna buoyed hopes this week when she appeared happy and beaming in a series of photos.

According to the Mirror, during her first public appearance in months, Mrs. Schumacher “laughed and joked” as she attended a horse riding event in Switzerland.

Now, a quote has emerged in the German women’s magazine Neue Post that adds to the feeling of optimism about seven-time world champion Schumacher’s future.

“Moving forwards,” said Corinna when asked about her husband’s progress. “Slowly, of course, but at least we go forward.”

Michael Schumacher continues to make good progress following his move to a Swiss rehabilitation centre and could return home soon, according to reports.

The Formula One legend, who spent more than six months in a Grenoble following his skiing accident on December 29, was transferred to the Lausanne clinic in June.

However, reports claim he could be moved to his Swiss home before the end of the month as his recovery is going well and he is able to communicate with his family by moving his eyelids.

"There are signs that Michael will leave the clinic soon and be cared for at home," Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick revealed.

Meanwhile, the Mirror reports "it is understood that while Schumacher remains paralysed, he is able to answer questions from his wife and children Gina-Maria, 17, and son Mick, 15, by fluttering his eyes".

It adds that "doctors at the clinic in Switzerland hope to have Michael sitting upright in an advanced electronic wheelchair that he can control via his mouth within a few weeks".

Seven-time Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher may return home by the end of the summer, according to reports.

The 45-year-old German is currently in a rehabilitation ward in Lausanne, Switzerland and has reportedly been communicating with his family via fluttering his eyelashes, reports UK's Mirror.

Schumacher spent several months in a coma at the Grenoble Hospital in France after suffering a near-fatal skiing accident in the French Alps on Dec. 29, 2013.

Now, however, his wife Corinna recently assured his fans that the worst is behind them:

“The German Grand Prix gives me the perfect opportunity to cordially thank you for all your good wishes and positive energies you keep sending Michael," she wrote.

“I have to say your sympathy blew us all away! Good to know that together we made it through the hardest time!”

Corinna Schumacher has reportedly set up a medical center at their house in preparation for Michael’s return. She is also in the process of selling Michael’s unused private jet, reports Germany’s Bild newspaper. After purchasing the plane for EUR 25 million ($33.6M USD), Corinna is asking for EUR 20 million ($26.8M USD).

The doctors at the University Hospital Lausanne are hopeful that Schumacher will be able to use a mouth-controlled electronic wheelchair within a few weeks.

Meanwhile, British Formula 1 World Champions Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button have made public their thoughts on Michael in recent heartwarming letters of support.

“Dear Michael,” wrote Hamilton, “You are always in my prayers. Prayers of hope that you pull through this difficult time. You have already achieved so much, given so much.

“May God watch over you and show you the way back to your family, fans and friends.”

“When I think of Michael Schumacher I think of two things,” wrote Button.

“The first is of one my earliest memories of being in Formula One driving out of the pitlane in Melbourne and seeing Micahel’s red Ferrari ahead of me scattering the leaves as he drove beneath the trees at the approach to turn three. Even in 2000 he was already a legend.

“The second thing I think about is that familiar red car sneaking about in my mirrors. Michael was such a formidable racer relentlessly competitive – Always There."

I think info will become less as time passes. Mrs.Schuhmacher has achieved per court order that photos of her around the Clinic may no longer be publicized.

When Mr.Schuhmacher is able to present himself, then he will. If not, then....well, time will tell.

That is her decision and everyone should respect it. No need to make a media spectacle about this. It is a shame though, and I wish the best for his recovery. I hope she will update the public about his progress, he has an obscenely large following of fans.

A man suspected to be involved in the case surrounding Michael Schumacher's stolen medical records has been found hanged in his prison cell, according to Zurich prosecutors.

The man, whose name has not been released, is said to have worked for Swiss air ambulance service Rega, which was involved in the organisation of the transfer of Schumacher from a Grenoble hospital to Switzerland on June 16. A statement said the suspect was found dead in his cell on Wednesday morning having been apprehended the day before for the violation of patient privacy and medical secrecy. It added there was no indication a third party was involved in man's death.

Soon after Schumacher's move to Switzerland his manager Sabine Kehm confirmed the theft of the documents, which French newspaper Le Dauphine Libere reported were offered up for sale to various media outlets for around 60,000 Swiss francs (£39,000). Schumacher's medical files had been shared with all the medical and rescue teams involved in planning the move. The records were never published.

Schumacher suffered severe head injuries while on a skiing holiday in the French Alps on December 29 and had been treated at Grenoble University Hospital, where he spent six months in a medically-induced coma. Details of Schumacher's condition have not been released to the public in that time, with official updates on his progress coming through statements from his family and manager.

The man, who was due to be questioned on Wednesday, denied the allegations.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/170655.html#UfyGZzKCTOVKAdpy.99

• 1 month later...

At least we have some good news from the F1 world:

FIA president Jean Todt says Michael Schumacher will likely "lead a relatively normal life again" following his skiing accident.

Schumacher is continuing his rehabilitation at his home in Switzerland after he picked up severe head injuries during a fall on a family skiing trip in France at the end of 2013.

The seven-time World Champion was in a medically induced coma for several months before finally being moved to his Swiss home at the start of September.

Former Ferrari boss Todt visited Schumacher at his home last week.

"We must assume that Schumacher can lead a relatively normal life again within a short period of time," he is quoted as saying by The Independent.

"We can say he can probably never drive a Formula 1 car again. But he is fighting.

"His condition improved, and what is just as important is the fact that he is now at home with his family."

Schumacher's family has kept updates regarding his condition to a minimum in recent weeks and Todt warns that he faces a difficult road.

"But a long and hard road is in front of him," he said. "Hopefully things will improve. His family is close to him. He needs time and peace."

• 3 weeks later...

A doctor treating Michael Schumacher says he has "hope" that the German could recover within three years.

Schumacher suffered severe brain trauma after hitting his head on a rock when he fell while skiing at the French resort of Meribel in late December.

Having undergone emergency surgery, he was placed in medically induced coma and spent months in hospital before waking and returning home to Switzerland in September.

One of the German's doctors, Jean-Francois Payen, recently visited him and declared that in time Schumacher could make a recovery.

Associated Press quotes Payen as having said: "Life after a head injury is punctuated by stages."

He estimated that it could take the seven-time World Champion one to three years to recover.

He added: "We hope, but we have to give him time."

• 1 year later...

Reports claiming Michael Schumacher can walk again are 'not true'

Michael Schumacher's manager says recent reports the seven-time world champion is walking again are "not true", adding that they are "irresponsible" and give "false hope" to his fans.

Very few updates on Schumacher's condition have emerged in the past year, but this week German magazine Bunte published an article saying the ex-F1 driver was walking with the help of therapists and can raise an arm. However, his manager Sabine Kehm says the reports are not based on facts and asked the media to avoid speculation on Schumacher's condition.

"Unfortunately, we are forced by a recent press report to clarify that the assertion that Michael could move again is not true," Kehm said in a statement issued to media. "Such speculation is irresponsible, because given the seriousness of his injuries, his privacy is very important for Michael. Unfortunately they also give false hopes to many involved people."

Schumacher suffered severe head injuries following a skiing accident two years ago in France. He has been receiving rehabilitation treatment in his home since June last year, but few updates have been released in order to protect his privacy.

Michael Schumacher's media lawyer has defended the right of the great German's family to fiercely defend his privacy.Tuesday marks the two-year anniversary of the F1 legend's tragic skiing fall in the French Alps, in which he was left with apparently severe brain damage.To date, however, the public is completely in the dark as to Schumacher's precise health condition.

Felix Damm, Schumacher's media lawyer, told DPA news agency that the family has every right to defend its privacy, especially as the former Ferrari driver "always drew a clear line" between his public and private life even before the accident."The accident itself was an event of contemporary history and could be reported on," he said."But there is no such requirement once the recovery starts and the public is excluded - it happened in a hospital and now at home."Damm also said in a documentary by the Munich broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk: "I can understand that there are people who have a serious interest in knowing how he's doing.

Edited by afx

I have a great respect for their wish of privacy. I would wish for the same if it was my familly that was in this situation.

I just wish him and his family well. This thing also shows us all that life can be very fragile at times. An accident like that could have happened to anyone.