Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Shops... Are They Viable Today?

Tom, I think you've got a great plan. I like the idea very much.

Don't forget, ebay can possibly be a source for vintage kits, but that is going to eat up a ton of time looking for the killer deals.

One side note that I would like to point out: Sometimes, the weather can be a killer to business. I don't own a store, but our small business is off about $1,000 so far this year. We had a bad snow storm that caused the roads to be closed for 2 days, but we lost 2 good days of sales before the storm due to the TV "doom and gloom" forecasts. People still haven't completely dug out of their homes, and gotten back to the routine of shopping.

Let me promise that while being $1,000 down for the month might not sound like much to the guy pulling a weekly paycheck, it is a KILLER for us. I strongly doubt that we'll make it up before the month ends.

Your numbers might be different, and you might be rich, but that $1,000 will hurt us bad...and I'm pretty down about it.

Aside from that, NFL football can be a killer to business. Sales and foot traffic when the Colts are playing are generally HORRENDOUS. I am probably the only guy in Indiana that is happy that the Colts lost over the weekend.

Snow and ice, as well as extreme summer heat can be very, very bad for business.

Be advised, even though we might only be talking about 2 weeks out of the year.

let me just say that my favorite LHS closed a year or so ago, and I for one totally miss it. I mostly miss being able to pick up supplies and some aftermarket stuff, particularly Tamiya and Model Master paint, and I also miss being able to buy stuff cheap when it hit their clearance shelf, which kool stuff did with some regularity. and I miss interacting with the owners and their family. I do and did buy on the web, but its sad the human touch is so going out of the hobby at the retail end anyhow.

jb

Tom, a question for you on your plan. Will you offer any kind of online sales either thru the store or on eBay? I understand the goal is to have a profitable brick & mortar store but an online presence can supplement your bottom line & help keep the store viable.

Yes. I would have a website and an eBay store to cover all bases. Always want to maximize your exposure and sales. There are things that are better sold in the brick and mortar store and those better sold on eBay. For instance, recent kits are saturated on eBay and probably not worth the effort to list. And some of the stuff that traditionally hits the clearance rack at a shop, like Tamiya kits, do very well on eBay. So it's a matter of working smart and knowing the hobbys.

Per buying older inventory, most shops don't have the contacts in our hobby that we have. I know sources to buy big lots of kits cheap, collections etc.

I don't know about buying kits one at a time on eBay, too labor intensive and postage is a killer these days. Back in the days when Priority Mail first started at $2.99 for up to 2 lbs we never thought about it. Today postage for a kit can be as much as the kit itself. Even this week we noticed that the rates have gone up significantly in the past year. Last year we mailed out the NNL East postcards at 29 cents. This year it was 33 cents... that's a 15% increase! And rates are going up again.

I would also like to have a decent size conference room to hold seminars and establish clubs for all the different hobbies. We wouldn't discourage hobby folks from coming in on a Saturday morning and hanging out. I know when I did this, I never left without spending $50!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Art... sounds like you had a good thing going back in the 1980s-90s with your shop. What's the story on why you no longer have it?

Harry, do you really expect a complete and honest answer from Art on that topic? Especially here?

Your sense of humor is showing...

Besides, many of us already know the true answer and remember the distasteful past reality of that issue.

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this venture Tom.

The hobby shops in my area are disappearing, and the big chain stores like Hobby People and Hobby Lobby for example do provide some of what I need, but they often only have at best half of what I am looking for at any given visit. Special orders? Hardly worth the effort even when they are willing to try.

Plus they sorely lack the personal attention and understanding of what a modeler wants/needs.

A true hobby shop staffed by knowledgeable and personable modelers is becoming a rare thing. I hope you can make it work.

On my last visit to Spare Time Shop...

I went to Spare Time the first time just before Christmas Charlie. Its a 50 minute ride for me, and worth every minute. I had a nice conversation with the guy working there that day, and ya can't do that on the internet. I do buy a fair amount of stuff on ebay (out of production stuff), but I do enjoy going to the hobby shop. That one there in Marlboro is a good one !

Tom,

I like the idea of the collector kits section, I remember the Model Empire in Milwaukee has just that and it's nice to look at some of the older kits and think back upon my childhood!

Not sure if you have given much thought to aftermarket items but maybe some things like wheels/tires and decals to start and then gauge the success from there. Most HobbyTown USA shops that I have been in have at least one set of Pegasus wheels, either gold low rider rims or the 23 inch "T" s, and some decals.

Don't forget the local Cub Scouts and their annual Pinewood Derby events. Maybe you could offer some workspace and help to the kids building their cars and get some kids hooked on plastic! :P

Have to agree with a few other comments here, 'Down Under' same situation, if it wasn't for the RC side of things they would struggle, I'm fortunate enough to have two hobby stores very close to my house, both are well stocked with everything you need ;)

I go online now and then to buy a few kits and aftermarket stuff from the US

Check out one of my local stores, now that's a hobby store complete with RC and Slot tracks.... http://www.hobbyhabit.com.au/view/page/5.html

So sorry to rain on this parade... but I got a job! Funny thing how your business contacts come into play. My old VP from two companies ago called me. He's now VP of a consulting company and hired me over the phone to run an account at, get this, my original employer in my industry. So I'll be going back to my old stomping grounds. I'll be working at a facility that I had originally purchased for them. No financial risk, good pay.

So I'll have to abandon the idea of a hobby shop for now...

So sorry to rain on this parade... but I got a job! Funny thing how your business contacts come into play. My old VP from two companies ago called me. He's now VP of a consulting company and hired me over the phone to run an account at, get this, my original employer in my industry. So I'll be going back to my old stomping grounds. I'll be working at a facility that I had originally purchased for them. No financial risk, good pay.

Bummer, there goes my summer road trip plans! :lol:

Don't lose the dream Tom!

Congratulations, Tom!

Now. Send me your money and I'll open a store here for both of us. :lol:

Our local shop closed after 50 years in business this November. It was the typical 60s hobby shop in layout and service. A place where everyone could hang out, yet it was run cleanly, professionally and always had what you needed or could get it quickly.

Not because business was bad, we have a good hobby community here and clubs, but because the owners were well into their 70s and were sick of working weekends at that age. And who could blame them? That's a long time to sling RC kits, trains, rockets and plastic models.

While it was awesome to buy kits and paint at 80% off, it was and is sad to not have them around anymore.

We have a Hobby Lobby but it's no where near the same. We also have one other local hobby shop but the place is so mom and pop that it's more like walking into someone's living room. Clutterred, overpriced and pretty unprofessional service.

I think a private owned hobby shop is totally viable even today, but it's a lot of work. Too many people go get a loan from the SBA and then think the world owes them a living. They open bankers hours (close at 1pm on weekends, that kind of stuff), have horrible customer service (let's be honest, a huge amount of modelers have no business talking to the public, too socially inept) and only stock what they personally like meaning 90% of their customer base is left out. You'll never succeed like that.

Edited by hpiguy

Congratulations Tom! Priorities you know, food and shelter come first. Hobbies are a distant second.

Here in the UK a lot of model shops are closing simply becuse its cheeper to sell on the net . You have to take into account the running cost of a shop rent electric gas before you even get some models to sell!

I'm not sure that a local (To Me) would be a great success, as pointed out having a high street store cost money before you even start to sell anything, business rates, lease for the shop, electric & phone line/internet, Fuel now running at £6.30 (Just over $10.00) a gallon many shoppers are abandoning the High Street and ordering on the 'net, even buying in the Euro zone can be cheaper than buying from shops here in the U.K

I know that this was posted to see about a new employment adventure, but I have to put my 2 cents in. I would be lost without a real LHS.

The internet is a great thing and you can find a lot on it and you can go thru the aggravation of paypal or whatever and waiting...........and hoping what you get isn't smushed in the mail and dealing with people if it is, etc. etc. After the shipping charges are figured in and the forthcoming sales taxes I fell as others have said that there is really little difference price-wise, but the instant gratification of getting something in person is, indeed, very satisfying.

I am lucky in the fact that because of my job I have to do quite a bit of local (within a 25 mile radius of my employer) driving for customer and vendor interactions and - the big and- there are two independent and pretty well stocked hobby shops nearby.

Last Friday I was near both and did stop in at Turn Hobbies in West Boylston, Massachusetts to grab 2 of the Revell Merc Woodie, hot off the truck, then also stopped at the Spare Time shop in Marborough, Massachusetts to stock up on some Evergreen styrene that I need.

Neither store carries all of what I want, but there is a good selection and they are accommodating and willing to help (**and listen to what you want/like/need** very important).There are other national chain shops within the same basic radius, but I find them colder and focused on other things than I care about.

My opinion.

The internet is a great thing and you can find a lot on it and you can go thru the aggravation of paypal...

The "aggravation" of paypal?

I buy with one click. Find what I want on ebay... log onto paypal. Then literally one click. The whole process is over in less than 30 seconds. And ebay/paypal offer 100% satisfaction or your money back.

That's not "aggravation." That's fantastic customer service.

The "aggravation" of paypal?

I buy with one click. Find what I want on ebay... log onto paypal. Then literally one click. The whole process is over in less than 30 seconds. And ebay/paypal offer 100% satisfaction or your money back.

That's not "aggravation." That's fantastic customer service.

Agreed