Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1961 Pontiac news

Well I hope its the 8 lug wheels - neither Trumpeter or AMT have done them as well as I had hoped! They're begging to be done crisply.

Maybe separate 8-lug wheels and drums? That's never been done.

Meanwhile I'm continuing to beat my Bonneville into submission... purely by coincidence I was looking at brochures and photos online today, and most likely going with Bamboo Cream with a black roof and gold/brown/tan interior. Got the C-pillars faired in and puttied, along with the sink marks in the trunk lid, cut the convertible extensions out of the interior, and patched a damaged rear wheel opening. Before that I added the missing material to the leading edge of the hood (AMT's error - they're all like that), shimmed the front bumper/grille to fit straight, and now I'm trying to build up the nerve to cut the molded-in trim from the grille to attach it to the hood where it belongs. Yee-ha.

John- thanks for the refernce material. I'll send a message to you, as I'd like the high-res photos of the album and paint.

Art- out with it!

Mark- I agree, I'd like that wagon, too. Now that we know it was a draggin' wagon, no more excuses, time to kit it. As long as I build mine as a stock Catalina Safari, I'll buy.

The only nit I'm picking- no inclusion of an automatic transmission, which would've been more common and it would be nice to have a correct early '60s Hydra-Matic available.

Charlie Larkin

That is one nice looking car,wonder why more of them aren't around.

Well there's not much of 1961 anything around these days! :D Back then and through the '60's and '70's they were just another car and, didn't have the following like they do now. The fact they are now 50+ years old makes them all the more desirable, as we'll most likely never see the likes of that kind of styling from GM again.

The '61 Pontiac is probably my favorite GM '61, but I also love the Olds and Cadillacs with their wonderful skegs..

I too like the skegs on the '61 and '62 Cadillacs in particular. The '61 Olds is okay too. But '61 Pontiacs, even though they have no skegs are my favorites from that year. I also like the '61 Chevy. The one '61 GM car I don't really are the Buicks. The Electras are okay. But, the LeSabres and Invictas just don't work for some reason. Even though I'm a big Buick fan, I'm glad Moebius is releasing a '61 Pontiac rather a '61 Buick.

Scott

Interesting that GM was the only manufacturer to put skeg fins on their cars. And I agree that Buick might have been better served if it had either the skeg fins, or SOME kind of fins. While the front end is not bad at all on that car, the translation gets lost as you move towards the rear.

I could have sworn that I saw somewhere some early clay shots of '61 Buicks under development, and they had some really wild fins on them! Maybe trying to outdo what they did with the '59's? Cooler heads prevailed though and we got what we got.

Interesting comments, Scott & Bill! I've always liked '61 Buick Lesabre & Invicta series more than the Olds 88s. Something about the radically sloping decklids on the Olds, in concert with the skeg fins gave me the impression that it was a design that had had its "wings clipped." And I always kind of liked the way rear panel on the Buick was "notched in," complementing the "pointed out" front end design – sorta like an arrow!

I think what makes the '61 Pontiac design so successful is the way the relatively high-cut rear wheel opening, and tucked-under lower front and rear bumpers and lower rear quarters (The Chief don't need no stinkin' skegs!) give the impression of it being a smaller, lighter car than it actually was. This was true even for the extra long Bonneville! The lovely sweeping roofline on the two-door hardtops added to the impression of lightness, enhancing the "flow" from front to rear and feeling of motion, especially when the car is viewed in profile and the 3/4 rear view.

Well, it isn't separate chrome side trim.....

Art

Whew! That's a relief. No need to explore that evolutionary dead end any further!

What I'd love to see would be multi-textured bright and cast metal finishes on the 8-lug wheels to make detailing those puppies less of a headache. It'd also be nice if we got the dog dish caps, stock wheel covers, and the optional spinner wheel covers!

61PontWheelcovers_001-vi.jpg

Maybe the bubble top (roof with windows) is an all clear separate piece.

To prevent ejecting problems (read roof caving or breaking) when in production..

Dunno just guessing...

Luc, I sure hope not! Painting that would be a REAL pain! AMT when they did their '62 Bel Air bubbletop didn't seem to have any troubles in this regard.........I'm hoping Moebius doesn't foist that on us! :blink: