Model Cars Magazine Forum

What US classic could i get on a budget.

om617

What classic US car could i get on a budget from 0 to 15000$?

I`m not super picky,it does not have to be matching numbers,the paint does not have to be shiny etc.

Here are my check list.

*No rust and bondo,except i could tolerate surface rust and burned paint. I`d prefer it to have everything

as for original chrome/alu trim,bumpers etc. No fiberglass rubbish if it`s not original.

*The interiour does not have to be 100%,cracked dash or bad carpet,bad weather strips is okay as long

as it is original,no aftermarked seats,steering wheel or fluffy carpets and huge stereo.

*Everything electrical should be working and hopefully original,lights,heater,wipers,etc.

*No compormise are tolerated on safety as with brakes.

*The car should run strong and shift smooth,no smokey exhaust or nasty oil leaks.

*I would prefer a car that is used and driven regular. No "I was going to restore it but instead i let it rot

for 50 years instead of selling it to someone who wanted it up and running"

*V8 engine only. Manual or auto does not matter.

*Would prefer power steering and brakes,but not an demand if i like the rest.

What type of cars am i looking for?

67-69 Chevrolet Camaro.

73 Chevrolet Impala/Caprice sports coupe.

64 Polara 2d ht.

65 Coronet 2d ht.

70 Plymouth Cuda/Barracuda.

70-71 Dodge Challenger.

67-69 Plymouth Barracuda.

70-71 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop.

77-79 Chevrolet Impala/Caprice Coupe.

70-73 Pontiac T/A,Formula,Espirit or basic (Not sure what basic model is)

61-67 Chevrolet Impala 2 door hardtop (Does not have to be SS car)

63 Oldsmobile Holiday 2 door hardtop.

63-66 Buick,any 2door hardtop is interesting. (And Riviera)

61-63 Cadillac,any 2door hardtop.

65-69 Ford Mustang.

Any tip of where i should be looking besides Ebay and Hemmings?

Edited by om617

No rust.......means you will be buying a car that has spent it's whole life in dry climate......AZ. CA......etc. I'd use Hemming's over E-Bay any day, also pick up an issue of Old Cars Weekly to find cars. Look for one owners that have all records on the car.

I can deal with a little rust as long as we are talking front fenders,doors,trunk-lid or hood. As long as there arent need for welding i`m good. Sure i could patch some stuff,but i want it done nice,and there i would fail myself. Yes desert cars would be perfect. Hemmings are good,and i prefer private sellers over shops.

Have you checked: www.carsonline.com???

Thank you. Never come across this before.

Gabriel is correct, a decent Mustang, Cuda or Camaro is probably going to be at the top end of your budget and will still need some work to be a decent car. The good news is if you can find one of the three, there are tons of places that have parts for them so if you were to buy one, you would have an easier time fixing it up.

As was mentioned, look in the southwest corner of the US for a car that has the least amount of rust. Maybe do a search of the web and see if there are some car clubs in those areas that can of help in locating what you are looking for.

I found my car online, although I forgot exactly how I came across the website that I bought it from. 4 1/2 years later and I'm still glad that I bought it. I do check with www.carsonline.com often, even though I have no more room or ca$h for another car, just to see what's out there.

What car did you get? Yeah i look thru Hemmings and classiccars.com every day now and see some good deals now and then.

Most of your list is at about the top of your limit,mustangs can still be found starting at about 8G's some camaros too impalas are getting higher forget Cudas those are like gold

As pointed out they can have crappy paint and interiour,no problem. I notice now and then some good deals but i`m always to slow to find them. You are right about finding and decent Cuda,but some good objects are out there,maby missing interiour,crappy paint etc. Not going to give up.

Gabriel is correct, a decent Mustang, Cuda or Camaro is probably going to be at the top end of your budget and will still need some work to be a decent car. The good news is if you can find one of the three, there are tons of places that have parts for them so if you were to buy one, you would have an easier time fixing it up.

As was mentioned, look in the southwest corner of the US for a car that has the least amount of rust. Maybe do a search of the web and see if there are some car clubs in those areas that can of help in locating what you are looking for.

I know i could just forget to find good 70 Cuda. That said,this year when i have been following a couple of cars there are at least 3 1970 Cuda`s sold for under 10,these would maby be put in the category as rolling objects. It`s the rust that scares me away,people say little rust,but when you start to remove some old patch or surface rust,it`s just the top of the iceberg.

Thanks for the advice btw.

I have updated the list. +/- a year from each model is okay if you know of somthing.

This look like a nice car,but when i look closer it seem like the car have been red from factory?

http://classiccars.com/listings/view/417367/1965-buick-wildcat-for-sale-in-jeannette-pennsylvania-15644

Tommy,

I am not a Buick expert so I don't know if that car was originally red from the factory, after 50 years it has probably been painted a couple of times. There should be a trim tag on the firewall and it would indicate what the correct factory color would be for this car. If the red paint in the trunk bothers you, you could always paint the splatter paint that many cars came with back in the day.

You being from Norway might be a slight problem for some sellers. They might think you are a scam artist as there have been past issues with people from foreign countries buying cars via the internet with fraudulent bank accounts. Not accusing you of such activity, just a heads up. Your best bet would be to find someone here that you know and trust to act as your buyer to prevent such problems and to also look the vehicle over to ensure that what you see on the computer is what shows up in Norway! You could also plan a trip to the USA to coincide with some big shows to find your car. Carlyle, Pomona, Goodguys, there are several events that you can probably attend during the summer that would allow you to find a car and whatever parts you may need to complete the deal. I would imagine it would be cheaper to ship the parts inside the car than to send them separately across the big pond!

Best of luck in your search. Be patient and the right car will come along for you!

Yes by all means, be patient and don't just buy a car because you "might" like it. You've got to really like it before you pull out the ca$h. It took me close to a year to find my ride. And many people don't realize that after they purchase a car, that there's storage, insurance, and maintenance of the vehicle as well. I met a condo owner this summer that bought a beautiful Grand National and was paying $175 per month for a garage to store it in. That's a lotta bucks.

Tommy,

I am not a Buick expert so I don't know if that car was originally red from the factory, after 50 years it has probably been painted a couple of times. There should be a trim tag on the firewall and it would indicate what the correct factory color would be for this car. If the red paint in the trunk bothers you, you could always paint the splatter paint that many cars came with back in the day.

You being from Norway might be a slight problem for some sellers. They might think you are a scam artist as there have been past issues with people from foreign countries buying cars via the internet with fraudulent bank accounts. Not accusing you of such activity, just a heads up. Your best bet would be to find someone here that you know and trust to act as your buyer to prevent such problems and to also look the vehicle over to ensure that what you see on the computer is what shows up in Norway! You could also plan a trip to the USA to coincide with some big shows to find your car. Carlyle, Pomona, Goodguys, there are several events that you can probably attend during the summer that would allow you to find a car and whatever parts you may need to complete the deal. I would imagine it would be cheaper to ship the parts inside the car than to send them separately across the big pond!

Best of luck in your search. Be patient and the right car will come along for you!

Thank you for advice.

It`s no big deal if the car is not in it`s original color since the combo on the Buick are quite nice. One thing of concern is the vinyl roof.

I can just ask the seller to rip it off to check for bondo and rust. It`s an unfair demand. As for the trunk i agree,also the inner fenders

have some red. I`m no expert either,but i`m rather sure the inner fenders should be black. In the end,it looks like a nice driver,and

that is exactly what i`m looking for.

Yes freud is of concern but i have not heard of anyone in the US car comunity in Norway been charged for it. Trust me,they would be

freezed out fast since they would ruin for those of use who want to keep it serious. This is for me personal,not just buy for making

a profit later. There are plenty of those who just buy to sell for profit. I dont think i can make an fraud with PayPal or transfer from

my personal bank account to the seller since he will get hes money on account before he even turn the key. What concerns me a

little and i tend to think good about most people is to be tricked with shipping to port. Yes i would love to pay a little extra for getting

the car safe to port,but not pay tripple. But on this subject there are plenty of company`s who ship on a firm price.

Would be nice to get fresh tires on,new fluids etc before it`s shipped.

That is a thing i want to do before i die,but as for now my plane ticked would probably cost more than theh car lol.

I see that you are in Norway,I have to ask where would you get parts for an American cars over there? Would you have to search the internet, then have parts shipped to you, I know thats common. But isn't that expensive too?

It will always be cheaper to buy parts straight from the US as long as we arent talking very heavy parts. I guess an combination of both.

Here are some Norwegian shops.

http://www.amerikanskebildeler.no/shop/

http://www.aarnes.no/

https://shop.kwparts.com/no

http://www.maldalimport.no/

http://www.sstolen.no/scripts/frames1.asp

http://granheimbildeler.no/

http://www.sarpsborgmotor.no/main.aspx?guest=yes

http://www.ponyparts.no/

Yes by all means, be patient and don't just buy a car because you "might" like it. You've got to really like it before you pull out the ca$h. It took me close to a year to find my ride. And many people don't realize that after they purchase a car, that there's storage, insurance, and maintenance of the vehicle as well. I met a condo owner this summer that bought a beautiful Grand National and was paying $175 per month for a garage to store it in. That's a lotta bucks.

Yes i know i need to keep my head cold. It`s easy to do somthing stupid on buying cars. This said,i keep my expectations low and hope to

maby be postitive suprised. True,over here you pay insurance and road tax that are about 200$ a year,this goes for all cars that are 30 years or

older. Storage i fix with some friends so it`s no problem. I made this saving account for my cars years ago for errors that are not planned on. This is why i dont need an perfect cosmetics car since i have saved up for paint and such.

Go through Craigslist to see what's on the general market world wide and check prices and vehicle condition. I was looking for a Fairlane or Cougar for drag racing and wound up with a 68 Mustang based on availability and price. $12,000 USD will get a nice 66-68 Mustang. The forum member W-409 is in Finland and races in the Finnish Hot Rod Association with a Chevelle. Maybe he could help.

Dale

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...