Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modified Stocker Hauler and Truck

Clay

I got this from Raul Perez, Thank you Raul you have helped more than enough, as a modeler and a person.

Hauler.jpg

Out of the box, everything seems to be in order, minimul flashing, many options. Funny thing is that it doesnt have a lot of chrome. Only a few things on the chrome tree, like 3 different grilles to chose from, engine parts and the wheels for the truck. The 2 sets of bumpers arent even chrome, I like that. It comes with 2 set of bed fenders, corvette and mercury tail lights. can either be powered by a flat 6 or a hemi. Like I said its a pretty good kit and has gone together really easy so far.

The only problem I have had so far is the non stock fenders don't have the guide pegs for the bed, may not be a problem for you expert builders, but I am use to it. It also has another thing I cant stand, the metal axles, both the truck and trailer does.

Thats all I have found so far, I will update as I go, But as far as I can tell this kit is good to go. I recommend this kit to all of model builders to proudly dispplay your mild custom, wild custom, race car, low rider, drag car, NASCAR, and whatever tickles our fancy.

More to come, stay tuned.

Later,

I had always loved that AMT'53 Ford truck kit ( always thought those welding tanks were so cool!) and lost count of how many I put together. Its nice to see it back on the market.

As for that once cool trailer which I had plenty of over the years, the last time I got it, it came with that Cougar funny car kit w/Ford Bronco by Model King, it was full of flash & warp parts but otherwise very much the same trailer in the '53 Ford kit. There was not a single straight part in that trailer kit.

I was curious if the trailer has been cleaned up? Either way, its still a good kit to have!

~ Jeff

I got this from Raul Perez, Thank you Raul you have helped more than enough, as a modeler and a person.

...The only problem I have had so far is the non stock fenders don't have the guide pegs for the bed, may not be a problem for you expert builders, but I am use to it. It also has another thing I cant stand, the metal axles, both the truck and trailer does...

Clay,

First of all, you're very welcome. What you and the rest of the servicemen and women do for all of us is worth more than all of the models I could ever send you. You just happened to be the lucky one that posts to the same forum as I do, have a young family, and remind me of what it was like for my wife and I when we were first married. Like I've told you, I know that you and Ani will do the same for some other young person when your kids are grown and you get the opportunity.

Second, you're correct in stating that there are no locating pins for the rear fenders. If you use a bit of masking tape to hold the interior floor pan/running boards, the body and the bed to the frame, (using their locating pins), you'll see that the front lower corners of the rear fenders locate up against the back edge of the running boards. Hopefully this is something that most builders discover BEFORE they glue the rear fenders to the bed.

...As for that once cool trailer which I had plenty of over the years, the last time I got it, it came with that Cougar funny car kit w/Ford Bronco by Model King, it was full of flash & warp parts but otherwise very much the same trailer in the '53 Ford kit. There was not a single straight part in that trailer kit.

I was curious if the trailer has been cleaned up? ...

Jeff,

Like Clay's, mine is also pretty clean and free from flash. The trailer frame sags a bit in the middle, but overall it looks pretty good. They must have cleaned up the molds for this run.

I've actually started building my truck, following along with some of the mods Foose made to his old Ford pickup, mostly tilting just the front of the roof down about 1 scale inch, (not a chop), and pie-cutting the hood about 2 1/2 scale inches. I plan on using many of the custom parts from the pickup kit to make a custom hauler for the Roth inspired hotrod I'm building that's near completion.

Later,

My mistake, its not a flat 6, its a V8

I had always loved that AMT'53 Ford truck kit ( always thought those welding tanks were so cool!) and lost count of how many I put together. Its nice to see it back on the market.

As for that once cool trailer which I had plenty of over the years, the last time I got it, it came with that Cougar funny car kit w/Ford Bronco by Model King, it was full of flash & warp parts but otherwise very much the same trailer in the '53 Ford kit. There was not a single straight part in that trailer kit.

I was curious if the trailer has been cleaned up? Either way, its still a good kit to have!

~ Jeff

I don't know about the trailer, I haven't messed with it yet. It seems pretty straight to me, but I dont know how well it would hold a car.

Clay,

First of all, you're very welcome. What you and the rest of the servicemen and women do for all of us is worth more than all of the models I could ever send you. You just happened to be the lucky one that posts to the same forum as I do, have a young family, and remind me of what it was like for my wife and I when we were first married. Like I've told you, I know that you and Ani will do the same for some other young person when your kids are grown and you get the opportunity.

Second, you're correct in stating that there are no locating pins for the rear fenders. If you use a bit of masking tape to hold the interior floor pan/running boards, the body and the bed to the frame, (using their locating pins), you'll see that the front lower corners of the rear fenders locate up against the back edge of the running boards. Hopefully this is something that most builders discover BEFORE they glue the rear fenders to the bed.

Later,

I figured that out when I got it all taped together, good thing i just didnt eyeball it.

Let me add my take and some history on the 53 Ford and Trailer. First the trailer was an accessory to the A M T Chevrolet Apachie Pick up truck kit, BY THE WAY IT WAS ACCURATE TOO ! All of A M T 's offerings of the day were the wire axle variety. My gosh we would roll those suckers on the floor all day long. Yeah, the hitch was revised several years ago but outside of that and the addition of a tire rack. this is the same trailer we've come to adore over the years I don't know if A M T still includes the metal Hood clip for the 53 Ford but some moddler will probably go on and on about that not being accurate either. Comm on the engine dosent have the correct motor mounts either. Look folks I own a 1953 Ford F100 , I've had it for twenty five years and I'll probably have it a few more! Go take the 1950 Ford V-8 from the Revell F-1 kit, splice the transmission to the 53, and viola, you got a pretty decent 53 8-B A V-8 engine to go in your 53 Ford F-ioo .Now here I am , 58, and I still like to roll my models with my nine year old, he wants to be a wrecker driver , just like what I did for years. Look, with sheet plastic,Bondo and some time you can accomplish what were dreams back in the 1960's come on GO SCRATCH BUILD SOMETHING KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

Ok i started on the Trailer, great casting, minimal flash, one thing is that they made teh axles part of the parts tree so thats a little more trimming on my part. The trailer tongu neede some triming to go where it was suppose to go.

Thanks for the information guys! I agree that its a accurate trailer and you could build it with or with fenders & the tire rack. I saw many of these trailers in the '70s at my local roundy round short tracks and they were almost 100% the same as the AMT trailer. I have about 5 trailers unbuilt now and plan to make a few changes to them.

The first time I got that trailer kit was with the AMT Chevy van kit & Penske race car and later the Red Alert '72 Chevelle racing team which included the same van. Other kits the trailer was found it are the same AMT '53 Ford PU with a '40 Ford sedan " Diamond in the Rough' set which I still have and the 5 trailers I got now are from the Cougar F/C kit which I did some wheeling & dealing with other guys trading the Broncos for the cool Cougar F/C. ( seems most guys wanted the Bronco more than the Cougar and didn't like the high price for that kit)

I guess you can say, I do love those trailer kits! :D I just have to do a lot of cleaning up on the latest ones cause when you compare them to the older versions, its clear the molds are getting a bit worn out but its still worth buying and cleaning stuff up is afterall, part of the hobby! I would bet the trailer got some cleaning up for the kit you have now.

I lost count of how many of the '53 Fords I put together but that option Desoto? hemi sure is cool! Thanks Ed for the excellent tip using the Revell '50 Ford engine!

As far as I know, the kit always included the hood metal clip and it does work too! ( it can be a bear to get on after painting tho!) ;)

Looking forward to your reviews on this kit and keep up the good work Clay. :blink:

~ Jeff

Clay I'm pretty sure yours did'nt also,but,did you get the Astro mags with your kit??That's what my complaint was,that the side box panel showing all the custom parts showed Astro mag wheels and mine came with the chrome reverse-baby moon set up. ;)

Nope I got the baby moons.

Ok, in fairness to Dirt Track Racecars, (who paid for this reissue & are getting it out to us), they reproduced the exact box art from that version issued in the early 70's, with all of it's info, & probably didn't think about or even know about the Astro mags no longer being in the kit. As best as I can remember, all the issues of the 53 Ford pickup after that one had the baby moons. I can recall building it in the mid 70's, (I was 13-14 at that time, so we're talking 1974-1975), & it had the baby moons, & the last reissue in the 90's did as well.

:D

I was diging around outside in my stash and found the older 70s street rod truck box with instruction :o . The first thing i did was look inside at them. Yes the street rod series 53 ford ruck with the yellow truck on the cover does have the mag wheels. Sadly the chrome tree that i had had the mags stolen before i got it :( . Just thought i would let you guys know.

I believe the last several issue trailer kits had the baby moons for wheels on the trailer & issues before the '80s had the original deep steel wheels?

I know I had at least 2 versions of the '53 w/out the trailer with those Cragar like spoke wheels and all the truck kits had the stock steel wheels & center hubcaps for the truck.

As far as I know, all the '53 kits had the log manifold intake with custom chrome air cleaner covers. The first time I built the '53 kit was around '70.

~ Jeff

think the favorite parts from the kit are the custom grills fuel injection hemi the log intake with cars and air cleaners, welding tanks, and the 55 chevy fenders. Great stuff. Glad i actully bought on an ebay action and origional box with a ton of the parts on there. Bunch of fendes, frames, bed boxes and some small stuff. Except i didnt get the canted quad headlight grill. ;) Oh well still a great kit.