Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford "Rat Rod" (Monogram 3 in 1 Pickup)

Current project, moving along slowly, is this '29 Ford pickup. Although the kit name calls it a Rat Rod, it can also be built as a stock ride or a period style hotrod. I'm not building this as a rat...

Current state:

doorpreps.jpg

Sprayed with Krylon Black and Brown on top of black primer, only one coat so far. Needs some wet sanding before the next coat but I'm going to catch the rest of the parts up first.

mockuponwheels.jpg

The final stance will have more rake to it, but I'll be using these wheels (from the kit)

Now for a question about how to approach painting of smaller bits...the doors and engine cover sections are hinged (see the photo of the assembly instructions). I aim to have them articulating, and they require painting on both sides. What is the best method here? Assemble then paint, or paint then assemble?

If assembling first, how do you protect against the paint locking it all together? If painting first, what glue do you use to assemble? CA, or scrape down to plastic and use Testors Orange tube?

IMG_6249.jpg

For painting both sides, I assume the best method would be sticking them on tape and painting one side at a time, allowing the paint to cure before flipping. Would you start with the side less viewed, or the most visible side?

Edited by Der Bugmeister

Thanks, Bryan.

I saw the Lone Wolf airbrushing primer video where he uses pipe nipples (I have some now) for some parts, and for smaller parts he just stuck them all on a strip of tape. I think for something like the doors, that could lead to paint buildup on the edges where it would collect in the corner formed by the tape and the part...I'll have to look for some chopsticks now too!

i also use dowel rods and wrap them with tape, with the sticky side out....... or if it is something that you wont see the other side of i will glue a small piece of tubing to it, and i have clamps attached to dowels that i use to hold them while painting............gimme a min, and ill get you a pic of what i use.......

bryan

here ya go clay......

photo-vi.jpg

the bottom ones are dowels with clips attached to them for small parts...... the center is the chopsticks with double sided tape, and the uppr ones are dowels with larger clamps for big parts.......ive been using them forever, and they work great. and theyre really cheap to make!

hope it helps

cheers

bryan

@ Del - I debated that, Del, but I'm not getting that picky with this build. It's only my second since getting back into the hobby and I'm trying to consolidate some other new techniques during this one...so I'll be using the ones in the kit this time around.

@ HAK - thanks!

@ Bryan - thanks for the pics. I do need to get more clips and clamps like that. I think the double sided tape/chopstick route will work best for the doors and hood panels.

Still looking for suggestions on painting before or after assembly!

• 4 weeks later...

here ya go clay......

photo-vi.jpg

the bottom ones are dowels with clips attached to them for small parts...... the center is the chopsticks with double sided tape, and the uppr ones are dowels with larger clamps for big parts.......ive been using them forever, and they work great. and theyre really cheap to make!

hope it helps

cheers

bryan

Bryan , I made some like that but used kabob skewers with the pointy ends to stick into a chunk of foam.

here ya go clay......

photo-vi.jpg

hope it helps

cheers

bryan

Good job on the truck keep up the good work Clay.........Hey also about the clips: I cut pieces of coat hanger then bend hooks on the ends to hang them.....

Cheers

Chris

Nice project... I'll be watching this as I'm thinking about getting this kit. I like how everything on it is hinged and the amount of different building styles it offers.

If your going for accuracy I'd say ditch the kit hinges and use a set of PE hinges as they closely resemble the stock model A hood hinges.

Sorry if it's OT, but do you have a link for the hood hinges you have in mind? I realize MCG offers door hinges for hotrods, but I'd also like to fully hinge the hood on my '32 Ford... Any help?

Nice project... I'll be watching this as I'm thinking about getting this kit. I like how everything on it is hinged and the amount of different building styles it offers.

Sorry if it's OT, but do you have a link for the hood hinges you have in mind? I realize MCG offers door hinges for hotrods, but I'd also like to fully hinge the hood on my '32 Ford... Any help?

I've only used the ones from MCG. Keep in mind that the Model T's and A's use an exposed hinge like the PE sets. The 32 Fords use a stainless strip that is much cleaner than the earlier piano hinges of the T's and A's.