Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1967 Camaro SS annual

I found the workbench on this long Memorial Day weekend and dove head first into an AMT 1967 Camaro annual. Here's a pic of the box art.

AMT1967Camaroboxart-vi.jpg

I got this glue bombed builder in a trade with a friend last year. Here's what I started with.

100_2003-vi.jpg

While the body looks good here, this photo was taken after I had removed every decal that came on the original decal sheet. The custom tail panel had been glued to the rear end too and the missing part was still attached to the body. The roof suffered some glue melt that had to be repaired on both sides.

100_2004-vi.jpg

And the rear panel was rebuilt.

100_2007-vi.jpg

Here's the interior tub after the seats and dash were chiseled from it.

100_2006-vi.jpg

More to come...

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

I probably spent 8 hours this weekend massaging the body of the Camaro. Here's where I am after a light coat of Tamiya primer.

DSCN0201-vi.jpg

I repaired all the glue damaged areas, opened up the spaces under the grille, raised the windshield opening to get rid of the "chopped top" look, and removed all the emblems and trim.

DSCN0205-vi.jpg

The Camaro will be built sans the front bumper. I have new chrome from the Modelhaus. This grille is from the Indy Pace Car kit which does not have the engine displacement below the SS emblem. The spoilers are from a Revell 1969 Camaro. The rear had to be shortened a hair to fit the width of the AMT body.

DSCN0211-vi.jpg

DSCN0213-vi.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully, more updates soon.

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

This is going to be a good one to watch. I wish they would re-issue this body instead of using the '68 Camaro body with some vent windows molded into the windshield. I have several of the recent '67 Camaro AMT kits and the wing windows just don't look as nice as the ones on this body.

Is it safe to say this will get your usual pro-tour treatment with lowered suspension and custom wheels? I always like your builds!

This is going to be a good one to watch. I wish they would re-issue this body instead of using the '68 Camaro body with some vent windows molded into the windshield. I have several of the recent '67 Camaro AMT kits and the wing windows just don't look as nice as the ones on this body.

Is it safe to say this will get your usual pro-tour treatment with lowered suspension and custom wheels? I always like your builds!

DSCN0197-vi.jpg

Does this answer your question? Aoshima 19" Blitz Techno Speed Z4 wheels with Revell tuner tires on the front. Powertrain yet to be determined.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I want something a little different for the powertrain, so I'm thinking LT-5 from a ZR-1 Corvette or a rat motor with Arias Hemi heads and TPI. I'll see what I come up with. I'm still undecided on the color too. My first instinct is red with a black nose stripe, but I'm working on other ideas. Stay tuned...

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Not another red Camaro! Marc, how about some other color? Black with a gray stripe? Blue with silver?

I am liking this and can't wait to see what you do with it. Your builds always impress me and I know whatever color you choose it will be done right.

Mike

Not another red Camaro! Marc, how about some other color? Black with a gray stripe? Blue with silver?

My thoughts exactly!!! One scheme I'm thinking about is white with black stripe (Grumpy's Toy), but I'll probably dip into the House Of Kolor palette for this one for something a little more exotic.

I've been testing paint colors for the Camaro. I've abandoned the idea of a red Camaro and these two are the front runners for now.

DSCN0223-vi.jpg

The one on the left is Testors Lacquer Bright Platinum Metallic and the other is Testors Lacquer Light Grey Metallic. I have some Tamiya Gunmetal Metallics and a bottle of Black Gold/House of Kolor Galaxy Grey but I like these two and I'm all for the simplicity of the rattle cans right now. Regardless of the color, it will get a black nose stripe.

Here's another pic without the spoons. This is real close to the final stance. Stance is one of the variables on a pro touring build that must be spot on.

DSCN0222-vi.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

I'd say you nailed the stance. Those wheels should look even sharper with some big brakes behind them. Might I suggest some form of LS engine for power. The GM LSx crate engines seem really popular, its modern reliable horsepower within the reach of everyman. The way this car looks is clean and simple, and the powertrain should follow suit, but that just my 2 pennies. I also vote for the spoon on the left, its different without being too over the top. The box art for this kit is just too cool! I love the straight axle under a Camaro idea.

Edited by Casey429

i like the bright platinum metallic too. i think the other color is the one i used on my 350Z drag project and the flake seemed oversized on that build.

i like the idea of the LT-5 for this build and i have one of my own that i want to build. no idea on what project to use it in yet i think i'm just going to build the engine and figure it out later :lol:

Dave

The Bright Platinum is the front runner right now. I'll use the Light Grey on my Bandit Resin '69 Barracuda notchback coupe when I get it. :D

The LT-5 engine is very unique and one you rarely see used in 1:1. I think it fits the pro touring theme just fine and will give the Camaro a "euro feel". I should be able to mock it up this weekend.

Marc-

Your build is looking great. The stance and wheels are perfect. I, too, used that Bright Platinum on my 70 1/2 Camaro. It had the brightest and best shimmer and offered a nice contrast to the maroon that I used for stripes. Here is a couple pics of it:

DSCN3701.jpg

DSCN3699.jpg

Hope you don't mind the shameless plug.

Anywho... Yours is looking fabulous and I can't wait to see it in color.

Later-

Marc,

Glad to see a different color as your choice. I like the color you picked but as was posted above, that bright blue or a purple for the stripe might be a better choice.

Whatever you decide, I am certain we will like it.

Got it done yet? :P

The Camaro has a heartbeat!

DSCN0224-vi.jpg

An AMT Guldstrand Corvette surrendered its LT-5 engine and transmission. I had to take some liberties with the chassis to get everything to fit. Yet another reason I love building vintage metal axle kits.

DSCN0225-vi.jpg

Once I'm satisfied with the fit, I'll disassemble the engine, strip the chrome plating, and break out the metalizer paints.

Enjoy!!!

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

• 1 month later...

Okay, I finished the '69 Barracuda so it's back to work on the '67 Camaro. I finished the bodywork and shot some paint last night. In a change of heart and probably my better judgement, I went with Pactra R/C Aqua Wave. It is a flip-flop paint that you shoot over a black base. Here's a few pics to see if you think I've lost it. :(

DSCN0343-vi.jpg

DSCN0345-vi.jpg

DSCN0348-vi.jpg

The plan is to go with a white nose stripe and either a white or grey interior. Have I lost it?

OK, Marc, maybe I've lost it but to me the hood looks to be a shade off.

It looks that way in the pictures but in most angles in real life it looks the same. I think it is the angles of the fenders and the drop of the front header against the hood with the color shifting paint that makes it look that way. :(

DSCN0352-vi.jpg

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

This is looking way tough dude.

I'm watching this one all the way. Shame about the silvers though. I was liking those, but this color is also very nice.

Win, Win if you ask me.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'll probably still build a silver first gen Camaro as I have a collection of annuals to build or restore. I wasn't feeling another silver after the Barracuda and resisted temptation to build the ubiquitous red Camaro. B) I need to get the nose stripe on this one before I settle on this paint. It might still be silver before its done.

I like the color myself. It sure beats another red Camaro and with the white stripe I think it will look great. The color reminds me of a Bahama Blue (I think that was the name) with white racing stripes 67 Camaro that an old coworker of mine owned. Beautiful car.

BTW- I noticed that your hood is different than the one in orange plastic. Did you modify it or is it a completely different hood?

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr