Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini truck build....update Started

gray07

Would anybody be interested in a mini truck build, they could be new kits or started trucks, of ones that you bought to redo. They can be any year, lowered, lifted, prostreet, tuner, custom, ect. anyway you want to build it or anysize, like 1/48,1/32 and up. Heres a list of trucks that i know of, if you know of any other let me know and i will post it. No end date.

ford rangers

ford couriers

toyotas

s10

gmc version

sonomas

nissan

dakotas

s10 bazers

samurias

cherokees

any other small trucks and suvs that i have forgot, no fullsize.

Ok let me know if you want to be involved in this, we will start this, Dec.26 and no end date, Only rule, just post build pictures and have fun.

Heres a list of people so far.....

Darrin----nissan 4x4

Grimreaper----

Airfilter-----

Diymirage----Datsun

Bandit1----nissan longbed

Timc----

Slammd454ss----1/20 ranger

Jared Roach-----S10

Edited by gray07

thought i'd share a shot of the kit i'll be building

(on second thought it is not a nissan, its a datsun, oh well, po-teh-to po-ta-to)

here is a shot of the kit the truck came from

1324511317.jpg

(wont be building the bikes anytime soon)

i had a shot of the rims i got from a jeep kit (will be using the kit tires) aswell as the engine but they seemed to disapeared

the kit came with a 350 which i will be saving in case i ever build a boat (would make a great anchor)

this truck will actually have a 440 from the partsbox with the 727 tranny (i think)

1324511282.jpg

found the engine and rim pics

1324516428.jpg

1324516534.jpg

still havent decided on the rims fully yet

the kit comes with some nice turbine like rollers but they are not chromed

im thinking if there are any other parts that need to be allcladded i will use those rims

if there arent ill use the jeep rims

thought i'd share a shot of the kit i'll be building

(on second thought it is not a nissan, its a datsun, oh well, po-teh-to po-ta-to)

here is a shot of the kit the truck came from

1324511317.jpg

(wont be building the bikes anytime soon)

i had a shot of the rims i got from a jeep kit (will be using the kit tires) aswell as the engine but they seemed to disapeared

the kit came with a 350 which i will be saving in case i ever build a boat (would make a great anchor)

this truck will actually have a 440 from the partsbox with the 727 tranny (i think)

1324511282.jpg

Any chance you want to part with the trailer and bikes ?

Any chance you want to part with the trailer and bikes ?

nope

i may be able to let go of the trailer (i hate seeing bikes get trailered, in my opinion anytime a vehicle can't make it to where its going to do what is gonna do its not desinged right...which is why my dirtbike is plated) IF i can get a larger bed on the truck where both bikes fit into

i do have a single bike trailer form a different kit which i started but never finished

i may be persuaded to trade that off but that still leaves you without the bikes

on a side note, one of our resin casters should really step up and fill the gap for 1/25th motorcycles/dirtbikes

well, i got started today and wouldnt you know it, on day 1 of this simple build everything escalated and it is no longer simple

i found a bed that is long enough to fit a dirtbike (eliminating the need for the trailer) but in order for it to fit massive surgery will be required

the first thing i had to do is find out where the bed will fit on the frame in order to get the wheels centered in the wheel wells

i measured it several times and still ended up eyeballing it

oh well

i put 2 peices of styrene rod underneath the new (ford) bed in order to get this part right

(the stock bed has square crossmember in the same place that are used to attach the bed to the frame)

i also glued a peice of tree in the frame to ensure it will be stay square once i cut it

i will need to extend the frame out maybe 2 scale feet in order for the bed to fit

i will need to extend the driveshaft by the same amount AND widen the rear end (or replace it) so that the rear wheels sit flush with the fender

i know i got the bed in on a trade but have no cleu where it came from

(almost thinking it may be 1/20)

My 1/20 scale ranger has been modified out of an s10. I added sheet styrene to the upper body lines to give the more ranger type styling. Just shaved the tails last weekend. Built the grille and hood. Added an explorer bumper.. s10 frame with backhalf built from parts trees that I didn't modify to get the look. Explorer v6 wired and ready to be plumbed..

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

100_3627.jpg

100_3628.jpg

nope

on a side note, one of our resin casters should really step up and fill the gap for 1/25th motorcycles/dirtbikes

thanks for the reply figured that would be the case but had to ask anyway,I agree and wish someone would start doing the small orvs,dirtbikes,minis,gokarts,odysseys,quads,sleds,etc I think theres a good market for it