Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why brass tubing?

I was thinking the plastic would sag, thanks for the clarification guys. When I start the 1/8 camaro, Ill use brass. At this point, I am working on learning to build the chassis from scratch. I have started 2 different chassis from styrene. They are 1/24 scale, but they are the type of chassis I am looking for; the NMCA style street cars, running in the low 6s with a 25.2 or 25.3 spec.

Once I learn how to put one together well, Ill look into using brass, and stepping up the scale. Plus the large scale stuff is expensive; the 3d printed engines, rearends, transmissions and things are pricey, plus the tubing and tools, etc..I never could find a resin engine, and the parts with the kit would never pass for competition grade pieces. The 1/24 is a lot cheaper, and easier at this point. I just recently started back into modeling, so Im low on tools, equipment, knowledge,skill and space. But I am already getting better.

I build race car replicas for people all over the country. Mainly sprint cars and supermodifieds but some stock cars. I build all my cars out of styrene tube or rod. Of it is a space frame it will not sag with tube because of all the different pieces used in a frame like that. If it is a single tube frame then use styrene rod because it's solid. My cars end up weighing around 4 lbs when complete and the frames, and axles are all styrene. I even build slot cars, that really take a beating, out of styrene. When I first started this 5 years ago I did use brass tubing because that's what I was told that would hold up best. Well it does hold up but why go to all that trouble and just make a good frame, with good connections out of styrene. Another tip is to use a tooth pick and spread the CA glue around the connection like a weld. I sometimes use JB weld on parts with a lot of strain.