Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Baldwin Motion ZLX-427 Phase 3

stump

This is one of my long term projects which really needs a kick along.....

I fell in love with this car (the 1:1) the first time I spotted it... :lol:

Motion10-vi.jpg

This, is my attempt to recreate this awesome BEAST....in 1/12 scale.

I'm using the Monogram Z-28 as a basis, though much will be changed/altered along the way..

Motor is a 427BB, lifted from one of my Monogram Vette's. The Lakewood Scattershield was scratchbuilt, and it is mated to the Camaro M22 (cause it has better detail..)

The tunnel ram is from the Z28, modified to match the BB. I smoothed the Moroso covers to make finned MOTION clones.

I'm still working on the Dominators, as the Holleys from the Z28 are too small...I'll use their fuel bowls.

I intend to feature lots of opening panels (doors, trunk..) and will make up the hood to suit.

There's not a whole lot to share as yet...but that'll change soon.....I hope.. :D

Here's a little teaser post for you....Hope you like.

BMCamaro014-vi.jpg

BMCamaro020-vi.jpg

BMCamaro024-vi.jpg

I've had some great help from a couple of guys at the Musclecar forum, without their help, I was really struggling to find some decent photoes....I've also had contact from the currant owner (anonymously)..and hope he contacts me again soon...

Cheers

Greg

:D ######,Stumpman! You'll have the BADDEST Camaro in all of OZ! A ZLX 427 Phase 3,Probably one of the BADDEST of the BAD ever created. I've a got some old Cars magazines with advertisements from Motion Supercars,that list that as a Crate engine,for about 2 to 3 grand(depending on what you wanted) Man I sure do miss them days!!! Well, if nothing else, we can build some of them ol dinosaurs.Your looks like it will really kick some a$$!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

:D ..Thanks George.

Mate, yep...if I ever win LOTTO.....I'ma comin' over to get me a real one...... :D

I would loved to have been around and living in the U.S. during that time.....we had our own home grown muscle down here, but nothing compared to what you guys had....I've had my share of "hotties"....cars, that is... :D

Clay, I think the odd one may still be had from some stores (old stock..? ), they were re-released only a year or two ago, if memory serves me correct...?? They always pop up on ebay, the last two I got from there. 1 for me, 1 for my nephew..

Cheers guys.

Thanks Al (old hermit). :)

Thank you too John. B)

Man, yes..sorry I hadn't got to see your fantastic build before now mate....I LOVE it. B)

Still a bit "new" around these parts....I've been mainly checking out the bench and general sections....but now I've found the right place to hang out... :lol:

I've just started a 2 week break from my work, so I'm hoping to get some quality time at the bench here... ;)

Stay tuned guys.....

Cheers

Greg

Small steps.........

Didn't get a great deal done today...between household chores etc.....but I did sneak some time.. ;)

I wasn't overly happy with how the tunnel ram was shaping up, so I stripped it down to start over....

I had been using the runners from the kit...now it will be all scratchbuilt....why do I do this to myself...... :huh:

The bare bones valley.....you may notice the thin strip that has been added to lengthen it..looks kinda rough here....

crudebeginning2-vi.jpg

This is with new flanges added, plus the valley has been sanded to remove the branding and ribbing.

The join is also a lot smoother now...

newsides-vi.jpg

newsides2-vi.jpg

You may be excused for thinking that I have a monopoly on these Motion cars..... :D

But, geez....I do love'em.....

Also finished (almost...) grafting my scratchbuilt L-88 scoop onto the hood for my 1/12 '74 Motion Vette...

newhood-vi.jpg

newhood3-vi.jpg

Still a very long way to go for both these monsters.....time will tell.....

Hope you like and don't fall asleep with this speedy progress.. :)

Stay tuned folks...

cheers

Greg

• 1 month later...

How is this one progressing? I'd love to see an update! Here are some shots of a hood I'm planning on using for my current SS350 than is still in work and still rough... I'll get it smooth.

000_0152.jpg

000_0146.jpg

I know, I know that it's a big block hood going on a small block car, but I'm after early 1970s styling here. There will be other subtle modifications as well.

Edited by John E. Bowers Jr.

• 1 month later...
How is this one progressing? I'd love to see an update! Here are some shots of a hood I'm planning on using for my current SS350 than is still in work and still rough... I'll get it smooth.

000_0152.jpg

000_0146.jpg

I know, I know that it's a big block hood going on a small block car, but I'm after early 1970s styling here. There will be other subtle modifications as well.

i always have liked those 1/12 scale camaros great job.

• 1 year later...

Well....my strong Muscle car urges have drawn me back to this build....needed something to give me a break from the Datto's......:)B)

Been so much happening to this so far.....and no pics to support it. :wacko:

I just could not get happy with the direction the tunnel-ram was taking, so I have completely cut it up to make my own.....;)

The main top plenum will still be used, though modified quite a bit. The base (valley) has been re-made longer and wider. New ribs added.

The intake runners I tried re-aligning to no avail, so I am making complete new ones of those....Pics as it gets closer to reality. ;)

Also have the front chassis rails cut from the floor pan. These will be modified to more closely resemble a 1:1. The rear trunk floor is also up for some cutting. :D

Ok, what I do have is pics of the rear diff assembly....I have drilled it through, following the removal of the molded axle tubes.

I inserted a metal tube, and fitted plastic tube over this. This will allow easy addition of suspension details.

A new set of spring perch mounts are on the bench, as I wasn't overly happy with this set I made....they look a tad large. :)

69BMC03082010003-vi.jpg

And the monsterous hood scoop which adorned the hood is started....:D

69BMC03082010001-vi.jpg

69BMC03082010010-vi.jpg

69BMC03082010011-vi.jpg

More soon guys......

cheers

Greg

Keep this going Greg! Love the Camaro's.

:P

Thanks Len. :) They are one of my favs too...next to the '70 of course. ;):lol:

Just added chassis pics to my album. :)

Showing beside an un-modified chassis. I'll be using the two combined to make mine.

69BMC08082010004-vi.jpg

Front chassis removed......

69BMC08082010005-vi.jpg

And started the firewall mods.

From photos I've seen, the car was ordered "heater and wiper delete".....??? Details are very hard to find.

69BMC08082010007-vi.jpg

I'm gluing orange kit sprue in the heater hose holes, as they need to move down slightly...as does the heater location.

Holes for the heater and wiper are being made 'open' and will get an aluminium sheet bolted on to cover them. It will all be sprayed in semi-gloss black.

As I mentioned, details on this car are tough to find....:lol: the guys who own such vehicles are quite closed about who and where they share info, and I can't blame them for that. B)

A mate at a Baldwin forum shared some pics he had, but they are still similar to the half dozen floating around the net.....:lol: Hopefully they will get me through....

IF.....anyone has seen this car in the flesh and managed to get pics...?? I would be eternally grateful for any you wish to share...<ahttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> Email direct to Greg

More soon guys

cheers

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Please STOP your talented work on this project and start the GT40 you "promised" me in the GT40 thread. ;)

B):blink: Thanks Cato. Man, I have too many big kits going as it is......:D but I'll see if I can accommodate that thought soon mate. :blink:

Thank you too Derrick. More soon.......

awesome build greg. hope to see some progress soon. are you going to be giving this the same attention to detail as your datsun? just awesome stuff here, keep it up.

Thanks Dave. B)

Yes.....she will be getting the treatment. ;) I've actually separated the front fenders from the body..................................oops. :blink:

You know that feeling you get as you make the last cut....??? Should I be doing this.......???? :D I will make it a "full open" job.....doors, boot (trunk) etc...

The hood and trunk will be easy actually, as they both get held in place by hood pins. ;)

Been scouring through photos to see what I need to fabricate.....quite a lot missing once you lop the fenders off.......:o

Mating it all back together is a hurdle I will have to cross once I get there..:P

I have almost got the firewall where I need it, just a few small holes to make. It has been glued to the main floor/chassis.

69BMC26082010001-vi.jpg

From below, I have filled the voids left by the front chassis removal...no putty or smoothing as yet.

I've started on the "missing" lower extremities of the firewall/chassis. The mounting pads for the chassis rails are started. I will blend it all with putty once both sides are done.

69BMC26082010004-vi.jpg

No pic of the fenderless body yet......not till I sort it out..................;)

More soon guys

cheers

Greg

Well, I've had several productive hours the last few days. :)

With the firewall in place, I turned my attention towards the tail-end.....The Camaro that Revell made is great, but not perfect. :lol:

With my reference library in hand (computer) I set about making some slight changes.....

The centre section at the back (trunk floor) was removed.

69BMC29082010001-vi.jpg

I then started the build-up process....

My initial cut across the floor pan was made through the seat lumps on purpose, as they needed to be shortened slightly.

They lost approx 4mm from their molded length. They were also widened slightly with strips of styrene and putty. (yet to be smoothed.)

69BMC29082010008-vi.jpg

And a quick side-by-side comparing the slight differences....they are only minor I guess, but will make it a lot more accurate. ;)

ALL the molded on fuel and brake lines have finally been removed as well.

69BMC29082010009-vi.jpg

Still many many hours to go, but I'm having a ball so far....:rolleyes:

Stay tuned guys.

cheers

Greg

• 4 years later...

Oh my.....nearly 5 years............................................. :blink:

Took me over an hour just to track down this old post. LOL

Oh my goodness, how life can be so full at times......been back at the bench with a couple of old builds for a little while and been hanging out at that FB place.... :rolleyes:

I have had the pleasure of meeting they guy (thanks to Facebook) who found this car years ago in a barn, before it underwent the rebuild. Quite an interesting past, to say the least. ;)

To get the ball rolling I purchased a new TDR 427 BB and 4-speed Muncie rockcrusher box. I rebuilt my own scatter-shield to suit both pieces and mated it all together.

DSCF9541-vi.jpg

DSCF9621-vi.jpg

The entire front chassis has been rebuilt (fully removed from main chassis floor), added solid engine mounts to bolt the new motor in place.

DSCF9642-vi.jpg

DSCF9657-vi.jpg

Gearbox cross-member now has slotted holes to allow adjustment and was lengthened to enable bolting it to the chassis.

DSCF9660-vi.jpg

Continues....

Still with the chassis, as I had cut this off the main floor, the floor was patched and I had to make new mounting boss' to support the mid point...

DSCF9684-vi.jpg

DSCF9689-vi.jpg

Started on the Hurst shifter mount...

DSCF9719-vi.jpg

I them commenced the tedious work on the Hooker headers....(Note; the entire motor has had NO glue so far, all bolted together with Scalehardware :) Thanks Bob)

DSCF9763-vi.jpg

ALL holes were very carefully drilled and tapped.....

DSCF9765-vi.jpg

Continues.......

After a few solid hours over several weekends, the headers are almost looking like, well.....headers.

The tube scales out at a tad over 2inch and snaking them around engine components sure tested my mind....starter motor, oil filter, steering box.....all clear. :)

There is still a massive amount of work to do yet, most of the joints are not yet glued, then I have to make the collectors.......

DSCF9775-vi.jpg

DSCF9789-vi.jpg

DSCF9783-vi.jpg

DSCF9785-vi.jpg

And we are finally caught up......a long journey continues....... ;)

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to fire away with questions or concerns, critique etc...

Cheers

Greg

This build is looking awesome! I have a couple of questions. The texture on the shapeway parts, how rough is it? It looks like it would be tedious to get smooth. Also, which tubing are you using for the headers, they look great. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the picture link John. :) I do have those, plus an assortment of others which I've managed to find online. Not the most photographed car ever. lol.

Jeff, thanks for your kind words mate. :)

The 3D parts are rough, but not unworkable....The trans I left "as supplied", it has a kind of cast look to it, so I was happy to use it as it was.

The main engine block could have done with some smoothing, but again, I was happy to leave it alone. It is painted black and will not be overly visible when everything else it bolted on and around it. ;)

The heads have had minor clean up, but only on the surfaces which would be "machined" smooth (or flat) on a real motor.

For what it's worth, I believe Shapeways have now added (or will be very soon) a NEW material process which is supposed to get the details even finer. Will be interesting to see how much better parts will become.

The tube for the headers is Plastruct 4.8mm which scales up to approx 2.27inch in 1:1. It's a tad large, but still works for me, they are supposed to be a set of "competition headers", so a bit of give and take. ;)

Looking thru some parts lists online, I found some which are tagged as 2.1**inch (on real set), so they aren't that much oversize.

Cheers