Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 '69 Camaro Z/28 (New Foose Kit) BMF Done 6/2

ImpalaBoy

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this? Been awhile

Yes, it has been a while, but no updates. I'm not sure how the cold will affect the paint, so I'm putting off spray painting anything until it's at least 45-50 degrees in my garage. I think it could be warm enough today, but unfortunately I'm too busy to work on it :/ I've heard it's supposed to warm up again next weekend, though.

It was 50 today!! I got some priming done on the interior pieces. What a pain it is to cover black plastic with white. Tomorrow we're supposed to get 6-12" of snow, so it will be a few days before it warms up again so I can do some more.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to actually show in the way of updates quite yet, but I have been able to do some spray painting the past couple of days. Just simple base coats and things for the interior, but nothing interesting enough to bother posting yet. Soon, though, I think. I thought I'd show you this, though, in case you're interested. I'm trying a new technique (for me, anyway) for panel lines that Harry P. discussed on a thread somewhere; a red '62 Corvette, I believe. Ah, this one: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78813&page=2

Anyway, the trick is to deepen the panel lines and paint them black. Then, when you paint over it, the panel lines will be noticeably darker, but not unrealistically black. Harry, if you read this, thanks for the tip! I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Here's how she sits now, with the blackened panel lines. Soon she'll get a coat of white (the color of the stripes), then I'll mask off the stripes and give her a coat of Perfect Match "Medium Quasar." Certainly not a factory color for a '69, but an official GM color, nonetheless, and one that I really like.

post-11411-0-72048800-1396580173_thumb.j

Just FYI, the joints on both sides of the dutchman/tulip panel (between the rear window opening and trunk) are not the same, nor not as deep as a door of fender gap. These joints are very shallow, and will only catch a very minimal shadow.

Ok, nevermind. I'm starting this one over from scratch. I ordered a new kit, mostly for the body, so I will probably still use most of the stuff that I already have done. Well, the engine is really all I have completely done anyway. Even so, I think I'll build the engine from the new kit and see if I can do it any better. Whichever one I don't put in the car I'll just display separately. I've completely rethought my color scheme as well. The 'Medium Quasar' was a bit darker than I would have liked it to be and the quality of the paint just wasn't as good as I had hoped. I guess I should have listened to more of the negative reviews of Duplicolor. Mistakes were also made on my part in the preparation of the body, so I'm sure that didn't help. I'm looking forward to starting with a fresh body and learning from my mistakes. Anyway, the new paint scheme is Daytona Yellow, an official 1969 factory color, and I will most likely use the black stripes supplied in the kit. Yeah, I'm disappointed that my first attempt didn't pan out, but I'm really looking forward to starting over, especially with this color. I think the world needs more yellow Camaros.

I decided I'm going to put the engine I've already done in the car and build the engine from the second kit separately to go in its own display. Therefore I decided to do as much as I possibly can with it. I ordered spark plugs and boots from R.B. Motion. They really are absolutely fantastic. I couldn't imagine working with these in 1/24 scale, but he makes them somehow. I'll display it without the headers, to show off the spark plugs, so I drilled out the exhaust ports, too. Even unpainted, I think this cylinder head looks pretty good so far!

post-11411-0-79894700-1397778168_thumb.j

post-11411-0-23187600-1397778196_thumb.j

I decided I'm going to put the engine I've already done in the car and build the engine from the second kit separately to go in its own display. Therefore I decided to do as much as I possibly can with it. I ordered spark plugs and boots from R.B. Motion. They really are absolutely fantastic. I couldn't imagine working with these in 1/24 scale, but he makes them somehow. I'll display it without the headers, to show off the spark plugs, so I drilled out the exhaust ports, too. Even unpainted, I think this cylinder head looks pretty good so far!

wow! those look fantastic! were they reasonably priced?

Daytona Yellow from Automotivetouchup.com. Three coats of color and three coats of clear. It needs a fair bit of polishing, but it came out pretty good. I will later add the black stripe decals and seal them with another coat of clear. I also did a bit of detailing on the chassis.

post-11411-0-36526200-1398050073_thumb.j

post-11411-0-85131900-1398050100_thumb.j

post-11411-0-51370700-1398050136_thumb.j

post-11411-0-52238300-1398050514_thumb.j

Edited by ImpalaBoy

Thanks, everyone, I'm glad you all approve!

Mrdarkmonkey, the rest of the grill except for the top and bottom rows is open, but about an 8th inch needs to be taken off the whole thing to make it look more correct in scale.

post-11411-0-87825900-1398131634_thumb.j

post-11411-0-85115300-1398131644_thumb.j

Edited by ImpalaBoy