Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tire Blueprint Wanted

O.K. I need to find a measured blueprint of a tire. I know there are hundreds of 'em. I need a generic tire carcass blueprint. I want to make a master of one and cast my own in resin. Can anybody lead me to a link or source for a measured drawing of one. I want it to be accurate at least. HELP!!!!

Does accurate and generic really coexsist in this case?

Exactly. There are thousands of tire designs, and the carcasses differ for all of them.

Do you want radial, bias-ply, high or low aspect ratio, slick or treaded, 10" up to more than 22" rim diameter, etc. etc.etc. etc.????

Since I assume you'll be modeling a tire as installed on a vehicle, why not just pick the size you want, go to a tire store and measure ?

There are really only a few important dimensions you need.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This isn't quite a measured blueprint but it's a drawing of the molds for Goodyear 7.75-15 and 7.35-15 tires, mainly to show the lettering. The 7.75-15 tire was used on the 1965 Corvette.

atpicbk2638872.jpg

Edited by chepp

Thanks for all the replies. Yea there are many out there and mostly it is information protected. I'd like to see some tires in resin for heavy construction type vehicles. There are almost no models of these in 1/25th scale, and what is availible are few. So, to expand on this, I enjoy these types of vehicles and must scratch build to satisfy my interests. For me, I'd like to see a wheeled boom crane similar to ones made by Terex and Grove. I would preffer that to another Mustang or 32' ford, but I digress. Tires for construction equipment and tractoers are missing from the resin world, those are my wants.

Now I better understand your problem. I did a couple of quick googles for "heavy equipment tires", "construction equipment tires" and a couple of similar phrases, and it looks like there are many hundreds of variables in the design of these too.

I still think your best bet is going to be trying to find an equipment-tire dealer nearby, or a construction company with the kinds of vehicles you're interested in, and getting them to let you measure and photograph what you want. Some companies can still be helpful, even in these days of hysterical liability and insurance concerns.

When I was involved in model railroading many years ago, it was quite the usual practice to go out in the field and measure some of the more unusual rolling stock, buildings and fixtures for scratchbuilding.

Given all the tires that are available in resin, is what you are looking for not available?

I would think between Chief Joseph, Ma's Resin, The Modelhaus and probably a few others that I am forgetting, whatever you are looking for is out there.

How does one contact Chief Joseph or Ma's Resin?

How does one contact Chief Joseph or Ma's Resin?

John-

I can't find Alan's email address at Ma's Resin but there is a thread in the Resin section, you should be able to find a link there.

Chief Joseph can be found at www.fireballmodels.info. He just moved and has some tires in stock. Let me tell you they are very nice and I need to sort out which ones I need more of!