Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Wow, Great updates Clay. Really dig the way you did the 4 link bars and lower A-arms, Did you make the black bracket on the rear end?

I did....I sort of cheated there. It is some of the Dirt Modeler wheelie bar brackets. I cut them apart, and soldered a tube across. Sort of looks the part, and will hold the top wheelie bar links. That was all I needed.

Messed around a little on this one this past weekend.

I gave up on my plan to try and machine all the block and heads. Going with the Flashpont resin engine instead. I believe this version is the one Paul Rowe mastered. I modified the injector hat to match the version I wanted to do a bit better. I also decided I needed to pin all the various parts together with brass pins to make sure things didn't fall apart later on.

Here's all the basics pinned and ready.

PC223210z-vi.jpg

As you can also see, I made a new "Big Mouth" injector hat front. This is all sheet brass and rod. I bent the flange on a flat piece of sheet brass first. That made the front lip that goes all around it. Then I bend the four corners to turn it into a rectangle that matched the shape of the opening. Next I bent another piece that formed the bottom with the bent down lip. That was then soldered in place to the first piece. The last part was to bend some brass rod and solder it to the back edge and sand it flat to mate it to the hat. I'll clean up both pieces and get them painted and covered in CF decal film, then cleared.

PC223213z-vi.jpg

PC223214z-vi.jpg

PC223212z-vi.jpg

PC223217z-vi.jpg

I also messed around working on the seat insert. I wanted to make this piece separate so I could CF the seat, but yet texture the insert. So I bent up some brass and taped it into the seat and soldered it together.

This gave me a perfect fitting piece that I could easily pop back out.

PC22321z-vi.jpg

Then I mixed up some epoxy putty and worked it into the brass fixture. This looks a bit rough at the moment. But once I sand it a bit, get the texture and paint on, it should look pretty good.

PC223219z-vi.jpg

PC223220z-vi.jpg

PC223221z-vi.jpg

Once the putty cures I can get the belt slots cut, then get to painting and decaling.

CK

I have really enjoyed following this build from the beginning. Your build quality still amazes me every time you post a new update, even though I know it's going to be top notch. The engine is looking very good and especially that Blower Hat is a beautiful piece of art. I can't wait to see more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys. Hopefully I can keep some momentum going on this thing!

Got a bit more done on the 'Stang.

I've been messing around with the full containment wrap around headrest. I made it from several pieces of .005 brass. I started with the center section, then soldered the two sides all while forming it inside of the chassis cage. Tense stuff! I also added a lip in the back, and a tab in the front to hold it in place. The padding pieces are built up from some .020 sheet styrene. I just stack it and sand it to shape to get the desired thickness.

P1213250z-vi.jpg

P1213248z-vi.jpg

I also made up the back shield from more .005 brass and formed to to the back of the cage. Here's both so far.

P1213251z-vi.jpg

While I had the brass out, and the solder iron fired up, I also made the lower panels to seal off the back of the cage. The main panel is .010 brass, and the lip is bent from .005 brass and soldered on. The wheel tub will sit on that lip and hopefully be held in place.

P1213257z-vi.jpg

P1213256z-vi.jpg

Here's everything all mocked up. Getting closer....

P1213242z-vi.jpg

P1213246z-vi.jpg

P1213241z-vi.jpg

P1213245z-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking....
CK

Thanks guys.

Ted, my forming tools are my thumbs and fingers! LOL That .005 brass is so soft, you can do a lot of shaping with it. Oh, I do have an etch-mate bending tool for the long, straight bends. I just score a line with my hobby knife, then clamp it down and bend it on the etch-mate. That is how I did the lips on the rear panels.

Most of these parts will just be glued on, and simulated PE nuts will be added to make it look bolted. It is faster, and has less chance of screwing something up by drilling bolt holes.

Clay

@GotatGuy....yes it is.

Thanks guys!

Been making more progress on the big Mustang.

A week or so ago, I painted and carbon fiber decaled the seat, injector hat, and the hat opening extender. I used Scale Motorsport 1/12 twill on the seat and injector hat. Then I used Studio 27 film for the extender to mix things up a bit. It got above freezing here finally so I took advantage of it to shoot them all in PPG clear. I also finished the texturing on my seat insert. The seat is now ready to be installed I think.

P2103283z-vi.jpg

P2103285z-vi.jpg

P2103284z-vi.jpg

P2103288z-vi.jpg

P2103289z-vi.jpg

P2103290z-vi.jpg

P2103291z-vi.jpg

I also got the head rest and padding installed...

P2103286z-vi.jpg

P2103287z-vi.jpg

I've also been working on the engine plates. I cut these from some t hick K&S sheet aluminum. I the bell housing is bolted to the rear plate with scale hardware bolts and nuts. I started on the front one. I need to get it bolted to my block then I can see how it all fits together.

P2103294z-vi.jpg

P2103295z-vi.jpg

P2103296z-vi.jpg

That's it for now!

Clay