Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

I bought this kit about a year ago, it is a Revell 1/24 cuda, I thinks it's time to try and do something with it, I am thinking of pro streeting it, still not sure exactly how it will end up, some thing I have all ways wanted to have is an all aluminum power plant, now that I have a mill, what better time to try it? going to try and make the entire engine out of aluminum (hopefully), I want to do twin turbos with fuel injection of some sort, we will just have to see how things turn out, lol, the wheels in the picture are from Jim (micro nitro) I bought them before I had any machining equipment,, they are sweet! not sure yet if I will use them on this project or try and make some, I want to try and make the chassis and suspension components out of brass if possible. IMG_0872-vi.jpgIMG_0874-vi.jpgIMG_0875-vi.jpgIMG_0876-vi.jpg

the first thing I attempted to make was the valve covers, this is my first attempt to do any machine work smaller than 1/16, I wanted to try and make them more of a drag style rather than a factory look.IMG_0871-vi.jpghere is the first one completed getting ready to start the other sideIMG_1064-vi.jpgIMG_1066-vi.jpghere is the completed set.IMG_1069-vi.jpgIMG_1070-vi.jpgIMG_1072-vi.jpgIMG_1077-vi.jpgthanks for checking it out

here is where I started on the block, had to remove alot of material to get a basic shape.IMG_1116-vi.jpgIMG_1117-vi.jpgIMG_1118-vi.jpgI got the front of the block milled to shape.IMG_1119-vi.jpgmade the timing cover, I need to try and keep it as light as possible, so I drilled the cylinder bores out to help lighten it up, I will all so remove the material in the lifter valley and the bottom where the crank would go, thanks for looking!

Bill......to machine anything this small is AMAZING.........I can speak for the rest of us and say you are "THE NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN"...........you deserve a feature/article on just your machine skills alone........and for your first time doing this is AMAZING........I wiould love to learn how to do this......... :)