Model Cars Magazine Forum

A friend on Facebook is doing a build contest for off-road vehicles so I decided to join in on the fun. Kit is the 1996 reissue of the 1981 Revell Jeep Honcho.

IMG_1319-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

My inspiration is an old J20 built by John Cappa for JP magazine a few years back. (Though I would love to swap the Gladiator front on, I don't intend to get that deep into this build so I opted to just use the kit grille)

jeepfsjtruckfrontpassengerside-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

For starters the truck needed some fender trimming and body work.

IMG_1312-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1313-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Removed the rear window louvers.

IMG_1314-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

It was at this point I noticed the rear bed end cap was missing from my kit. Put a request up on here and John Shull aka 91blaze answered the call, sending me a replacement. Thanks again John.

IMG_1317-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1342-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Now on to the fun part. The real J20 has 2 1/2 ton Rockwell top loader axles and 49" Super Swamper Irok tires under it. The tires were easy. I had a set of 49" Iroks I had been hoarding from a So Real diecast that were exactly what I needed. The hard part, they have never made (that I have found) a duce and a half in 1/25 scale. While some resort to using the axles from under a monster truck kit, IMHO they do not look anything like a 2 1/2 ton Rockwell. My solution was to use the axles from the Revell 1/32 5 ton Wrecker kit. They are kinda toy like and not exactly to scale, but with a little tweeking the will do for this build.

IMG_1311-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

First step was to get the top loader looking a little more realistic.

IMG_1320-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A little Plastistruct half round, some Evergreen sheet and some super glue and it already looks a little more correct.

IMG_1322-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Added some Evergreen square to get the track width a little better, some .020 sheet to make some flanges and some Tamiya putty and there starting to look a little more like the real thing.

IMG_1339-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Built a quick simple cage from .080 rod.

IMG_1344-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Now its on to the suspension. Started building some leaf springs out of .010 x .020 Evergreen strip. (these will be fully functional when done)

IMG_1318-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by MikeBoyle

very cool I built a box stock one with slight mods, dropped the auto tans for a cj 7 stick tranny, i grafted in a plymouth duster firewall to the jeep firewall to implement extra detail, like heater hoses and a wiper motor makes the engine bay pop a little more compared to the "flat" firewall on the stocker unit

its a posted "unde glass" item here someplace

Not a whole lot of progress.

IMG_1375-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Got a set of the Trail Ready Bead locks from dirtmodeler.com. Will likely spray them with some dull coat to tone down the chrome.

IMG_1376-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1377-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1378-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Not a fan of the real Quadratrack t-case so I had to do something with the kit supplied case.

IMG_1387-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1389-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A little sanding, some Evergreen pieces and some putty and we have a much more acceptable Atlas II t-case.

IMG_1380-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Axles are basically done.

IMG_1383-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rear springs mounted.

IMG_1384-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1386-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Front springs are built and the shocks made (yes they telescope up and down).

Next is to get the front hanger built and then the front springs mounted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...