Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck motor colors

For a little more confusion, Mack had some other engine colors, too. During the 1980's, there were red, and light blue engines as well.

From the 1980 F700 brochure:

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/mack/mack_interstater_1980/mack20h_jpg.html

From the 1982 Mack Cruiseliner brochure. This engine appears to be a light blue.

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/mack/mack_cruiseliner_1982/82cruiseliner12.html

Same with the 1987 Mack R brochure

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/mack/mack_r-series_1987/6.html

I copied the list that started this thread to another forum. A member there who is always a Very good source of info(he collects and scraps trucks) offered this little list.

AutoCar engines'.... White

Diamond Reo.......... Boyd Red is close match

GM Turbine is Red

AC Mack is................ Medium Grey

Detriot 16V/71.........Alpine Green Model Master Acryl RLM 25 is a close match

Mack Super Tip Turbine is Red

Chevy up to 1950 Medium Grey, late 1950 up to 1963 six cylinder engines Chevy/GMC corperate Blue, Chevy V 8's are chevy orange, GMC V6 and V8 Alpine Green for 6 and red for v8

Ford 331 Flathead truck engine... Dark Spruce Green. OHV 1954 to 1961 Red

Boyd Red.... ............. Testers #52709 Enamel only

Testers Acryl RLM 25 " #4774 Acrylic only

Ford/GM blue " #4661 Acrylic /#2726 Enamel

Chevy orange " #4629 Acrylic /#2731 Enamel

AC Mack Grey " #4757 Acrylic/#1725 Enamel

I'm not sure when Autocar painted their engines white, but i think it was b4 the 1970s. I'm still gathering info where I can.

The same valuable source answered a few questions for me after he posted the above list.

AutoCar dropped the White color around 1968/69

The best match for the Mack Red is the Testers Boyd Red or the Testers little bottles of Dark Red.(this is in reference to the Super Tip Turbine. E6-300/315/350 engines that were red in the early 1980s. See the 1980 Mack F700 brochure I referenced earlier)

The Ford FE based engines were Black after late 1960 up to mid 1965 when the went to Ford Blue. After 1982 they went to Ford Corporate Grey.

Allis Chalmers Road engines are Plum Crazy Purple.

The later Macks went from Grey to Medium Grey/ Blue when the engines (6 or V8) were ordered intercoolered.

The 903 in the 4200 kit should be red. IH red. It was originaly #50 red, back in the 40's, and its number was changed to 2150 red in the late 50's. It has been know as IH red, IHC red, CaseIH red. All are available in touch up aresols, or Buick, and Chrysler reds are very close matches. One is a little darker, one is a little oranger. The engines usually leaked so much, its hard to get an exact color match.

I updated the first post, let me know if I missed anything.

IH is missing some info, I remember seeing something about them painting gas engines one color and diesels another color, but don't recall when or what color (I know their current diesel engines DT-466, 530 etc are blue).

It's my understanding all 903's were dark grey,basicly black.I have a magazine some where that has an ad for a mack V8 that is silver,its from around '71.I'm not sure if its the same engine thats in the DM800 kits or not.Also a mack cruiseliner engine could be painted cooper to make it a 300+

Kevin

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Figured I could bump this up since it's good info and I have a question.

What is a good paint to use to simulate the Cummins Beige, preferably in Tamiya bottle paint?

Jordan, I'm not 100% certain, but in Tamiya paints I'd take a guess the XF57 Buff or XF59 Desert Yellow bottles are about the closest you might find. If you'd want to spray it, TS46 Light Sand looks like a close match to most Cummins I've been around. If you want to look, I found a paint chart here:

Tamiya Paint Charts

They are kind of hard to read, even after clicking on the image to enlarge it, but readable enough if you look close or have really good eyesight! :lol:

Well I compared the color charts to a picture of a freshly painted Cummins and it does appear that XF67 Buff is the closest. Of course, there's always the excuse of colors being slightly different on the computer, but since both pics are on the computer, it should be fine! B)

Edit: Just noticed that the XF colors are flat, and I want a glossy look, so the best for that is X31 Titanium Gold.

Edited by Jordan White

• 1 year later...

Bump

Thought I'd go ahead and try to match the engines with the kits in this thread instead of starting a new one, I'm sure I've missed a few. Not dealing with the European trucks but I'll include them if they are provided.

I'll update the first post when there is enough to make it worthwhile.

AMT/Ertl

American LaFrance (Pumper, Ladder, Aerochief) - DD8v71

Autocar Dump

Autocar A64

Chevrolet Titan / GMC Astro (DD 8V71?)

Chevrolet Bison / GMC General

Diamond Reo

Ford C-600 - Ford SD 401/477/534

Ford Louisville - Caterpiller 3208

Kenworth K-123

IH Paystar

IH4300

IH2575

IH2476

Peterbilt 359

White Freightliner SD / DD (assume the same in both kits)

White Western Star

White Roadboss

Italeri

Ford Aeromax

Ford LTL9000

Freightliner Heavy Dump

Freightliner FLC

Peterbilt 377

Peterbilt 378

Western Star Constellation

LA Fire Department recovery truck

Revell