Model Cars Magazine Forum

New reissue of Monogram 56 Chevy Belair

oldscool

On 7/12/2012 at 10:25 AM, towtruck said:

certainly not the most detailed 56 chevy kit around but at the time is was first issued it was the only '56 chevy kit to be had.I was glad to see it out..

This seems to be one of the kits where "close enough" has been just that since 1978(?), when the kit debuted. The inaccuracies have been well known from the start yet it continued to appear in Monongram and later Revell catalogs, and is easily recognizable as a '56 Chevy Bel Air 2-door hardtop.

Here it is in the '80 and '84 Monogram catalogs:

Mono1980Catalog7-vi.jpg.a4845faed6f2c9964d0a0d0f98f42ea8.jpg

Monogram1984Catalog3-vi.jpg.2348f571b5559c25fd4968a977e64140.jpg

Then '86 and '88:

Mono86cat.jpg.c2c481f109e06acd5dca0186e3bf509e.jpg

Monogram1988Cat7-vi.jpg.2ee955b0d73d132287eb19f2ea292997.jpg

I have a Monogram boxed issue purchased at Meijer on discount. Like many here, I built it years and years ago. Now though, it doesn't look like a very detailed kit. Probably build mine as a street machine with the big scoop it comes with.

I'll be getting one of these, as a parts donor, only. It will give up the stock engine and 'batwing' aircleaner for a Monogram '39 Chevy Sedan Delivery build I'm planning. So, the body shape issues are of no concern to me.

Yes, the model has some accuracy issues. Like a lot of Monogram from this time period, a lot of eyeball engineering was going on.

BUT, these kits go together VERY well. Everything fits. They are fun to build. I can usually pick them up for $8-10 bucks at a swap meet and they make excellent slump buster builds. I'm never afraid to try something weird.

If accuracy is your thing, you'll want to pass these by, but other than that, they are pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2010 at 8:53 PM, oldscool said:

You are correct sir. The 283 didn't appear until 57. As a side note; the box says it is a Corvette engine which means the valve covers should say Corvette rather than Chevrolet.

oldscool

It would only say Corvette on the valve covers if it were using the optional finned aluminum valve covers. The standard stamped steel covers would still say Chevrolet.

16 minutes ago, Paul Hettick said:

Wasn't this kit created around the time Monogram merged with Palmer?

Monogram never merged with Palmer. 

On 6/20/2010 at 7:18 PM, Modellpularn said:

This kit was made around 1976-77

30 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I think that Casey failed to notice the tongue in your cheek, Paul.....

Ha, I couldn't tell, honestly, and you never know when someone is apt to skim instead of read slowly, so I played it safe. ?

While this kit isn't one of the best ever, it certainly isn't Palmer level, either.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:48 PM, Paul Hettick said:

Wasn't this kit created around the time Monogram merged with Palmer?

LOL, good one Paul! It would sure appear so. The mid 70s were a bad time for Monogram. Some of the AMT stuff was pretty clunky around that time also.