Model Cars Magazine Forum

UNBOXING ARII's 58 Cadillac Biarritz

I have one of those, and a Poor Heller Copy!

Thought the parts look the same, they are Not!

I will dig them out & take comparison pic's. But I may have to wait till Sunday.

It is suppose tom Rain all day Saturday!

The Heller kit does offer both Up Soft-top & Boot cover where the Arii/Aoshima

Convertible/Biarritz kits only had one or the other.

Remember when this one came out back in 1993-94, a full detailed 58 Eldorado kit...from Japan....Wow!

Monogram just issued back then (late '92) it's wonderful masterpiece : '59 Eldorado, tought ARII kit would be a "top notcher".

Paid $30 back then, at LHS, got the green one home (convertible closed top), opened it & compared it to the Monogram's kit costing 1/2 less, noted that the ARII kit was slightly less accurate in some points: Body: missing typical Hearly Earl "dipped" belt line (upper doors) straight on body, pretty simple innacurate hub cap design, tires are a bit to wide (tread) for '58, blackwall....no whitewall inserts at this price??? the closed convertible boot not accurate, as for the Seville Coupe version as Ed mention: "Wonky Way" indeed & not well designed (proportions), engine bay pretty...empty!!! in details compared to Monogram excellent '59 kit, as for the engine, interior & frame/chassis passable... but nothing to write about, Chrome parts were badly plated on mind (translucid effect color plastic showed thru), but probably solved by now..$30 back then! after nearly 20 years....still on the sheves! (if yu're lucky you can get it (90's editions) for about for half the price on eBay ;) )

Seen a few built in contest, with patience & TLC possible to achive a good lookin model.

Watchout for the LEE "Chinese".. nearly copycat, CHEAPER but... slightly worse :P

... can't beat Monogram's '59 Masterpiece :wub:

The LEE kits are likely the ones also marketed by Heller.

My first was a Heller. Rear Axle is cast to the chassis, but the trailing arms/lower control arms are separate!!.

The Springs are made from a finer gauge wire.

Some trim & badges are decals and Not engraved on the body.

The Heller/LEE kit does have both Up Top & Boot Cover for the convertible,

but, the top is Polished like Steel!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to knock anyone who's built this model, but I gotta agree with John. There are MANY proportional difficulties with this kit that it would take a good while to correct all of them. It can be done.............I already (years ago) tried to graft a '58 Chevy Impala roof to make the roofline appear less Rambler like and more accurate to GM's '58 C-body shape.

I can tell you that a LOT of stretching, widening, and probably outright cursing will be done to get just this aspect correct. The body alone could stand to have a good scale inch taken out of the midsection-------while the wheelbase needs to be stretched a trifle.

I could go on, but there's only so much bandwidth available.................... :blink:

As I mentioned, I'm not meaning to step on anyone's toes...........I just get a little passionate about certain '50's cars, and this is one of them since I used to see them around (in my neighborhood), when I was a little kid in the '60's.

I do recall some having some issues building it out of the box............but if you've GOT to have a '58 Eldorado, this is pretty much the only game in town unfortunately.

I agree with Paul------Revellogram set the bar VERY HIGH when the intro'd their excellent '59 Caddy back in '92. That kit still sets the benchmark to this day for accuracy, and general parts layout and fit. Too bad they didn't follow up and give us a really good '58 Eldo Seville, Biarritz, or Brougham!

I bought the Heller version, very cheap, and when i've opened it, i understood really fast why it was so cheap . finally, i grafted a chezoom roof on it, front and rear roll pan, redraw the doors, and it looked far better ... IMHO

DSCN6651-vi.jpg

the stock one is an Arii: had a hard time fixing the windshield, chromes were very poor , could see the green plastic under... but i wanted to build a stock to put on the shelf, close to my Badillac