Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Hurst Hairy Olds

retroguy

It's one of those kits that you can build straight out of the box for nostalgia but if you start adding extra detail to it it can get out of hand quickly. Once you upgrade one part of it the other issues stick out even worse.

X2. I put mine back in the box and someday I will do some scratchbuilding with a Lindburg or AMT (Forget which is the right year) and some of those resin Jo-Han Toronado engines on ebay.

sounds like a bad kit to build.

Not at all bad. What many today probably don't realize is, this kit dates back to about 1967 or so, and as such represents the "state-of-the-art" for model car kits 45 years ago--not quite the same as we all expect from new tooling in 2012.

Art

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fairly accurate kit for being 45 years old, the hilborns are crude and the slicks have not backs on them with a few parts for the parts bin it builds up to a nice representation of the real car which still exists. It won't kit bash with the Lindberg kit as the are way off Monogram is 1/24 and Lindberg is 1/25.

No backs on the slicks?Must be a different version than mine.The kit I have dates to 1970 and what it has are whitewall inserts for the outside of the slicks.That made me wonder if the real car ever ran with those.

BTW,the kit body looks sectioned by about 2-3 inches.

Alan Raab makes the Toro trans in 25th scale, I sent him the masters an he popped a few of them for me. He still has the masters an will do them for ya if you want. They came from the old JoHan Eldorado kits(Same tranny as the Toro's) HTH. :D;)