Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police Car Question

Jim,

In the earlier days, there were more 2-door police cars than 4-door police cars. They were cheaper and officer safety in the event of a prisoner transport had not yet become a big concern. It wasn't until the 60's that 4-door sedans became more common in law enforcement service.

Paddy wagons were still very common, so prisoners in cities were usually transported in the back of the big van.

And, yes. If a bad guy was to be hauled in where a paddy wagon wasn't available, he/she would usually be carried in the front passenger seat. They just weren't allowed to drive!

The '57 Ford 300 was very popular in law enforcement in its day. This should prove to be a huge seller.

B)

Jim,

In the earlier days, there were more 2-door police cars than 4-door police cars. They were cheaper and officer safety in the event of a prisoner transport had not yet become a big concern. It wasn't until the 60's that 4-door sedans became more common in law enforcement service.

Paddy wagons were still very common, so prisoners in cities were usually transported in the back of the big van.

And, yes. If a bad guy was to be hauled in where a paddy wagon wasn't available, he/she would usually be carried in the front passenger seat. They just weren't allowed to drive!

The '57 Ford 300 was very popular in law enforcement in its day. This should prove to be a huge seller.

B)

Thank you Dan !!

I knew you would know. Or is that, I knew you knew. Or, you knew I knew you would know. Or.................

Just to give you a little more info on the prisoner transport part...here in Connecticut, we in the Connecticut State Police always have and still do transport our prisoners right in the front seat next to us. The reasons are a few... each trooper is assigned a cruiser that he/she operates 24/7/365, on duty and off duty. Our cruisers are not marked by paint. The only marking on them is when we attach the roof rack every day upon returning to duty. The rack attaches to the roof with a cam release/attach lever or a screw into a pre mounted bracket and the wiring is via a 10 pin socket. Our cruisers have no barrier between the front and rear seats. So, all prisoners are handcuffed behind their backs and placed in the right front seat and then seat belted in. Makes it a lot easier to watch them this way.

Just to give you a little more info on the prisoner transport part...here in Connecticut, we in the Connecticut State Police always have and still do transport our prisoners right in the front seat next to us. The reasons are a few... each trooper is assigned a cruiser that he/she operates 24/7/365, on duty and off duty. Our cruisers are not marked by paint. The only marking on them is when we attach the roof rack every day upon returning to duty. The rack attaches to the roof with a cam release/attach lever or a screw into a pre mounted bracket and the wiring is via a 10 pin socket. Our cruisers have no barrier between the front and rear seats. So, all prisoners are handcuffed behind their backs and placed in the right front seat and then seat belted in. Makes it a lot easier to watch them this way.

I'm no cop, but logic would tell me that transporting a prisoner in the back seat, handcuffed and behind a shield, where it's impossible for him to have any physical contact with you, would be a lot safer than having him sitting right next to you. Just sayin'...

I'm no cop, but logic would tell me that transporting a prisoner in the back seat, handcuffed and behind a shield, where it's impossible for him to have any physical contact with you, would be a lot safer than having him sitting right next to you. Just sayin'...

Sounds like Connecticut has alot of faith in the honor system.

This is supposed to be on it's way to us.

Cool. I like it !!

0-ford5.jpg

QUESTION:

In real life, how many two door police cars were actually used?

I guess the bad guy gets to ride shotgun. !!?!?!

Yes, 2drs were far more common than 4drs decades ago. Indiana State Police used 2dr sedans in the more rural parts of IN until the early 1960's.

Art

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police used two door cars until the 1959 model year. Even then, the first of the four doors were assigned to the Canine Division.

Efficient and safe prisoner transportation has been, and always will be, a topic for discussion.

From the first "Black Maria" to the most modern police vehicle, conveying someone who doesn't want to go, has been and will be, a challenge.

G

But in the front seat you can hit the bad guy with a sap to quiet him or her down.

But in the back seat, handcuffed and behind the shield, you would never have to. ;)

Not entirely true. I've had combatative "guests" in the back seat who kicked out side windows (hence the invention of those bar guards), kicked out the back window, and one huge overstressed and hyperpizzed farmboy on PCP who kicked the divider/shield loose. Sometimes you still have to persuade someone to settle down.

But, I agree ... the back seat, strapped in (seatbelt/shoulder belt) tightly, and a hefty divider shield and barred windows is the preferred way to fly. Some agencies, however, (largely for cost-saving reasons) just don't offer their law enforcement officers the preferred way to fly. :mellow:

I've seen windows kicked out, cages knocked askew fom the floor, doors knocked off kilter, and a variety of lesser damage from prisoners in the back seat of a lockup car.

We tried to use the purpose built vans for transport as much as possible. I saw the back door to a Ford kicked so hard it jammed. This from a handcuffed and belted prisoner.

NOTHING is perfect, ................. except unconscious in the trunk, wait, did I say that outloud?

G