Model Cars Magazine Forum

1948 Ford F-8 Milk Tanker

Hi, among all those big rigs on the shelf a medium-size truck makes a nice contrast.

I used the well-known Monogram F-1 pickup and the AMT C-600 as a basis. Originally intended as a quick change of pace between two larger projects this build turned out to be rather time-consuming:

• Numerous modifications were necessary to adjust the modern C-600 chassis
  • The cab fenders had to be widened and the wheel openings had to be adjusted.
  • Because of the wider fenders I had to make a new grille
  • Running boards and bumper were different from the pickup and had to be replaced by self-made parts
  • The contemporary steel spoke wheels had to be scratchbuilt
  • The making of the oval milk tank required some pondering

comp_FordF800168-vi.jpg
comp_FordF800268-vi.jpg
comp_FordF8003-vi.jpg

If you suffer from lactose intolerance you might prefer the conversion of an F-100 pickup into a 1955 F-800 Mobiloil-Mobilgas tanker I am going to show later.

Edited by Plastheniker
Fotki links replace PB

I would like to say post-11944-0-54797700-1376606864.gif for your friendly comments.

Martin, you are right, I made my own decals. Since the tank is white it was no problem that decals printed on clear decal sheet always remain more or less translucent.

Carl, for being free in my colour schemes I mostly use fictious letterings. I really didn't expect that there was (or still is) a "Twin Oaks Dairy" in reality. This is a funny coincidence.

Awesome build, you can't beat the oldies !!!!!

Rick, do you mean the truck or me? post-11944-0-99474700-1376602438.gif

Harry, your spelling is not only ausgezeichnet, it is makellos!

N.N., nice to meet German modelers here. Of course it is a matter of taste, but I hate opening hoods, doors, and trunk lids because mostly (if not always) they are not flush and properly aligned or show varying gaps. Eliminating these problems completely and finally means to me fixing these parts, all the more since I build only for my display case and nobody (including me) would ever try to open them. That is why I always build and detail only what could be visible if the model is turned upside down. On this model only a very small area of the lower part of the engine is visible so it was the least problem to replicate this. Whenever I feel inclined to display an engine I buy a second kit (or cast a copy) or superdetail a complete chassis as shown on my Casadio models.

Thanks again for your interest.