Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mako Shark II

59 Impala

Well, here is one that I built back in 65, but never painted it. I'm in the process of rebuilding it and I'm trying to paint it like the real car.

This is what I started with.

DSC02579a_zps35bc5564.jpg

The base coat.

IMG_0016_zps2191da41.jpg

I put the BMF under the final color.

IMG_0071_zpsccf7193b.jpg

Here it is in black before I paint it blue over the black.

IMG_0135_zps26250ca3.jpg

I add more pics so stay tuned and thanks fer lookin. :) Dan

Man, I like that Black one. Here are some more pics of what has been done so far.

IMG_0265_zps34a4c7cd.jpg

IMG_0266_zpscd836bcf.jpg

IMG_0268_zps050dc87b.jpg

This is where she is at, at the moment. I polished it last night and I need to redo the top cause it has some spots on it that needs to be fixed. Thanks fer lookin. :) Dan

Thanks Marshall. I'm going to paint the underside of the hood and the interior next. I think that I'm going to spray Future over the body, not sure yet. I also need to redo the top. It has some spots that need to be fixed. Looks like a little dust got on it before the color was sprayed. I just didn't see it before I sprayed. Oh well, that's the way the 'ol ball bounces I guess. :) Dan

• 2 weeks later...

That's an excellent airbrush job on the body Dan! You beat me to it as I also have an old Mako Shark II rebuilder that's begging to be done. I've never done a fade away paint job like you've done, so some practicing for me is in order.

One tip about dust that might help........before I paint (add color to the color cup), I'll "dry airbrush" the body close to the suction fan. Sort of a miniature blow off before painting. This minimizes any stray dust floating around, and works for me 99% of the time.

Keep up the great work-------------it's coming along great!

Thanks Bill for the kind words and advice. Your opinion means a lot. I do sorta dry spray the bodies before paint, but this time the dust bunny surprised me. :D :D When you do yours, I'm sure that yours will be a great build. I'd like to see a pic of the one that you have to rebuild. You can post pics if ya have any (hint, hint). ;):) How's the 59 Impala coming along? Haven't seen any updated pics of it. I do have the top that you sent me on the 60 and it looks Ok. It is setting in the box until I get to it. I'm going to paint the color on the top today and hope to have this one rapped up soon. :) Dan

The Impala is coming along slowly but surely. I'm going to "de-content" some of the original working features I had planned for it. With 10 hour days working at my own job, and now with things to do around the house as the weather gets warmer, time is at a real premium these days.

I did get the body work done..........at least 99% done! :) There's always something else that I can add...........

I was working on the engine and wanted to get the basics painted, when much to my surprise I no longer had the Chevy engine orange paint that I wanted to use.

It got washed away in the basement when the house got flooded a year and half ago. :( So, it's time to run out and get some more paint. Later on this week (if I get time) I'll try to post pics of the body work that's done. As far as the Mako Shark II, it's buried under some model boxes somewhere. I do know that some time ago, I had totally taken it apart and put the parts in separate bags to prevent loss.

As I mentioned, I'll need to practice on a junk body the fadeaway paint job, so that it can look halfway reasonable! :lol:

Thanks Rick and Bill, I'm glad that your still working on the 59 and sorry about the flood. I remember when that happened. I'm having trouble posting pics to Photobucket and I can't update this build or the 65 Corvette thread. I hope that people over there at Photobucket can get whatever is wrong, fixed soon. I even logged out and logged back in and only once did it let me upload one picture and after that, nothing. Even after I logged back out and in again, still nothing. Oh well, that's the way the 'ol ball bounces I guess sometimes. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Until then it's back to buildin. :(:angry::) Dan

Lookin' kool Dan! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build. I have to agree with Bill, you did an excellent job on the fade, something I'm not too good at myself. I need to buy an airbrush and compressor as well.

I checked my Photobucket and it seems to be working okay. Since they upgraded it, it seems to be having problems. I would contact them and see what they say could be the problem...

Thanks guys. Marshall, the fade paint job is the third time that I've done this. The first time was on one of my 53 Studebaker's. The second was the 51 Buick by Jimmy Flintstone. The Studebaker was my test bed sort of speakin. I don't test anything that I do before I do it. Sounds kinda dumb, but that's how I do my testing. If it works then I'm happy and if it doesn't then I strip it and start over. I don't like to, what I call, waist paint by testing on something and then doing the same thing over again. That's just a weird thing on my part and I know it. Some of the guys that I know think that I'm krazy, and they're probably right. Or maybe just a little strange. :lol: :lol: Anyway, I'll keep checking Photobucket so I can post pics. Until then, see ya in the funny papers. :lol::) Dan

I finally got to post pics on Photobucket. Although there is still something wrong over there, but at least I have some pics to post.

Here are a couple of pics of the top. I got it painted and polished and ready to be put together.

This one is when I painted it black.

IMG_0379_zps4080ef14.jpg

Here it is after painting it blue and then a wash of black over the blue and polished out.

IMG_0384_zpsd65147d2.jpg

I hope to get this one finished real soon. I need to paint the interior and then finish putting it back together. Thanks fer lookin. :) Dan

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and get some more done on this today. I'm liking how this one is going so far. I'm happy with the way the paint turned out on the body and the BMF looks good also. This is the 2nd time that I've done the BMF this way and I like the results so far. I didn't do the 65 'Vette like this though cause I got in kinda hurry to paint that Black. :) Dan

I'm still having some problems with Photobucket, but I was able to get some pics uploaded today for this build.

I had to spray Alclad on the bumpers for this. The picture really doesn't do them justice though.

IMG_0392_zpsbb9edb40.jpg

Here is the louvers that have been sprayed with Alclad also.

IMG_0393_zps9784d9e7.jpg

Here's a shot of the interior.

IMG_0395_zps23b55603.jpg

Here it looks like a wreck. I glued some of the parts together tonight and I'm letting them dry overnight before I start putting it back together.

IMG_0401_zps406a68c7.jpg

Thanks fer lookin. :) Dan