Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Shelby GT350

BluePopsicle

Moved my original thread over here because I've sort of moved away from the topic I had intended. This thread will just be my progress and any tips or suggestions you all might have.

I've come across an issue today where I was wet sanding my intercoat clear with P1000 in order to achieve more "tooth" for the rally stripes, but ended up sanding straight through to the silver base. IMHO, Testors Spray Lacquer is not worth the can it came in. =( Anyone have a good ultra shiny and yet, sandable clearcoat they can suggest?

7cecba6a.jpgfc2259c3.jpg

Here's one I just did using Testor's Clear. I didn't use the rallye stripes though.

RB77001.jpg

You have really made a beautiful car. The large metallic flake looks awesome and I love the way you got the side scoops to sit right. I ended up putting putty on mine and molding it to the rest of the body. I'm really looking for a glass like shine as Andy Lesiak did on his Flathead Vicky (as shown below). His original post can be found HERE.

0022.jpg

If you've got an airbrush urethane clear is wonderful stuff, but you really need a respirator when you spray it, it's pretty strong stuff!

I used to spray urethane clear when I was a body tech some years ago. I remember it smells like candy. :rolleyes: I also remember that it can be some pretty pricey stuff. I'll have to call Sherwinn-Williams to get some prices.

Oh and BTW: I've resorted to stripping it and starting over from scratch. =/ Should be fun.

Edited by BluePopsicle

The stuff I get isn't a high end name brand, but I can't justify spending that much for a model that sits on a shelf. I spend about $20-22 for a quart of clear and a pint of hardener, as you can imagine it lasts quite awhile. I don't mind the smell, but it's pretty toxic, from what I've read it does some nasty stuff to your lungs...

If you have a carquest near you, check there, that's where I get my paint.

Edited by eizzle

I did a price check at SW today before work and came to $37 for a quart of clear and hardener. If I do my measurements perfectly; I should be able to get about 40 cars cleared using 1 - 1 oz. bottle for each. That provides an average cost $0.93 per car.

Edit: Was falling asleep and forgot to finish the average cost.

Edited by BluePopsicle

I have question

how many coats of clear did you put down before you started sanding?

I use both Testor one coat wet lacquer, and model master ultra clear coat, both are very good clear coats

I started using duplicolor clear coat, it works great, doent have a great shine, but its great for wetsanding and then polishing.

If any time you are going to be sanding the clear coat, you need to have to more then just one or two wet coats, four is a nice number, but you still have to be careful when sanding.

I am not a pro at painting, just what I have learned and been told myself

If you want a glass like shine, you either need to be really good at using an air brush, or wetsand then polish

Using an airbrush is no garantee that the finish will turn out. Wet coats are what gives you that smooth final coat no? Using an airbrush to do a wetcoat is doing pretty much doing the same thing the can is doing. And I cannot speak for everyone else but I have never painted anything airbrush or can without something landing in the paint or getting some kind of slight orange peel. I have made many mistakes and one I have learned from is making sure each coat of paint is smooth. Meaning make sure the primer is smooth, and then the color layers. I bring mine outside and sit on a chair and wetsand it, drying it off and holding it up to the sun until those little high spots are gone.

The car has been sitting in Greased Lightning for almost 48 hours now; so as soon as I get it cleaned off and smoothed out, I'll try repainting it. I think I will go with the clear that I priced at SW. If airbrush is anything like a spray gun; the clear needs to be put on wet. You can achieve a beautiful shine with just one wet coat, but wet sanding at the end will be a pain. The only reason to have several coats of clear is to make sure there is enough layers to sand out the orange peel. My problem wasn't the orange peel, it was that there was no shine. After my four coat application, I tried to wet sand it and my 1000 grit ate right through it.

I've been thinking about it and I'm starting to wonder if it's because I didn't let the enamel cure long enough. Maybe the paint was absorbing the clear? I'm not sure, but I do know...I'm not going to give up on it just yet. =p I've got a 4 day weekend this week, so I'm gonna get crackin' on it again.

i wouldnt advise doing one "wet" coat....... several light coats are better. at least one light coat, that gives the rest of it something to adhere to....i usually do 3 light coats, and the last coat i pretty much "pour" it on.....LOL

cheers

bryan

Oh no.. LOL I didn't mean that!! No...either way I go, I'll still put no less then 3...probably 4.

Edit: I was just saying that you can get a glass-like shine from just one, but then you'd have crazy orange peel and no room to wet sand.

Edited by BluePopsicle

OK, so I learned a valuable lesson recently. I put waaaaay too much primer on the car and now I'm finding myself sanding off the little details. GRR Oh well, I'll use this model to get back in the swing of things and learn from those mistakes. Hopefully my next one ('57 Corvette) will be much better.

Windshield vents now missing detail.

Primer2Front1_zps21fc0474.jpg

Mock window vents sanded flat.

Primer2LRQ_zps26eb1a36.jpg

body lines above the door nearly sanded away.

Primer2RSide_zpse1c9f3f1.jpg

Edited by BluePopsicle

I've gotta pick up one of those plants! Hey, look at it this way, I've been building since I was a kid, with a few years off here and there, but we have all had paint jobs that don't work out the way we want them to, I've got a mustang body I've been soaking in alcohol and sanding on to get a 3 layer paint job off of it, it will turn out good, just don't let yourself get frustrated trying to make it perfect, it will work out, just be patient. Lets see some blue on that bad boy!