Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport.

Shelby 427 1965

Since I'm one of the roughly 5 people in the world that like the C4 Corvette..

This will be mostly box stock with a few bits of extra detail thrown in. I've loved the C4 Grand Sport ever since Gran Turismo 2 came out so I'd like to do this one well. I've done base coats of paint on most of the parts and assembled some of the engine, along with some of the body work.

8441058543_502c2460f8_b.jpg
I get the feeling that hood is a fitment issue waiting to happen..
8442152526_354f22c73a_b.jpg

8442152262_72f03f4ea3_b.jpg
8442151994_46728c3f11_b.jpg

8442151330_924a67289a_b.jpg
Cheers!

This car is cool! I used to work on the C4 corvette. I am a mustang guy at heart but have alot of respect for this car. This car set a new world standard for the corvette. Good luck and keep us posted. Well maybe I am a corvette guy, I bought a C6 last year and it smokes my mustangs.

Cheers everyone! Guess this thing has more of a following than I thought.

Only a little bit done for today. I've two fairly important exams coming up so progress won't be as fast as usual, but that's good as it'll force me to take my time as I really want this to be a great build.

Today I did the wheels, seats and a little bit more on the engine.

8445496782_73047cafae_b.jpg
8445496564_76b1830cff_b.jpg

8444407049_a3a4fbb75d_b.jpg
8445496150_8bd72f68ac_b.jpg
I'll be working on the interior and body work for some spraying.
I'm unsure about what to do.. spray a white base coat and mask off one single stripe, or use the kit decals which don't look too good and have the three stripes and not have to worry about any bleeding. Ideas?
Cheers!

I must be C4 fan #8! I don't know how things are on the Emerald Isle, but over here C4s seem to be the only affordable Vettes these days, even the C3 (generally sneered at a few years ago) goes for big money now. I prefer the look of earlier cars with the flat tail panel and sharper front end.

I built the AMT 1989 convertible back when it was nearly new, and the hood fit was poor. Your build is looking good so far, the engine looks great and those seats and wheels look ready for the track. What colour are you going for, blue with white stripes?

Thanks for the kind words!

Over here any American car is a sought after rarity. I'd love one. The hood on this one looks like it's gonna be pain in the rear, any advice on how to get around that? And yeah, going for the blue and white, gonna make it as close as possible to the one in Gran Turismo 2.

Cheers also Bill! That dash will annoy me, I want this to be detailed and there's no decal on the sheet for the electronic speedo. I'll have to try and work something out.

Thanks everyone!

I left the hood as it was. In fact, if you look at my blog in my signature, I did a write-up on that car very recently with a couple of pics. The hood seems too wide at the front, and it would require a skilled modeller to reshape it to make it fit better (that's why mine is still box stock!)

As for the stripes, I would be tempted to try the paint masking first. If you're not happy with the result, you can always overspray it with body colour and use the decals anyway. The decals will look a bit dark when they are applied over the blue body colour, I expect, which is why I'd try masking the stripes and using nice white paint, plus decals can get tiny bubbles in them which WILL be bright white! You could even spray the white stripes onto the body colour afterwards, I did this with my Roadrunner using white Humbrol enamel aerosol and it is pretty good (apart from my masking, which was hopeless). I have linked an image below, having trouble with pics at the moment. http://s7.postimage.org/v5dqjalsr/rrunner1.jpg

Good luck with the Vette, and the exams B)

tomo i too am a fan of the entire run of corvettes. the c4 was one of my favorite designs they had next to the 62 and 66 of course. the c5 was a big change to the design and i remember not liking it at first but it grew on me and now the c7 i cant wait to see at the chicago auto show next week. funny side note pink floyd is also my favorite band and i have a darkside of the moon tattoo.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the comments, they inspire me to continue.

Outside of some revision before the first of my exams tomorrow, I spent an hour or two doing the carpets out of felt. Tried my best to stick to the layout of the interior. I couldn't put any on the parcel shelf on the rear due to the mounting points on it.

I'll be doing some sprucing and fixing on this interior before it goes in the car, though.

8448760142_d93ce394fc_b.jpg
8448759904_68eac55dfd_b.jpg
Cheers!

how old is this kit? It's possible this is the same one I did as my first ever model back when I was a youngster. I know where it is at my parents' house so I may take some pictures of it for a laugh.

Yours is looking great. I'm a big Corvette guy so I'm going to love following this.

There are 5???

Just kidding, never saw that boxing before.

thanks,

joe.

I have the same exact kit in my stash.......in fact I have two of them. One of them is for parts to "fix" the fitment issues these had.

And to the OP, great job so far!

Edited by Kennyboy

• 2 years later...