Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Mack Bulldog

I am going to building one of the Mack Bull dog kits. I am interested in udating the hard solid rubber tires with phenmatic tires and a two piece spoke wheel and rim. Does anyone know of a appropriate upgrade that would still look vintage? Modern spoke wheels and tires are too wide. Is anyone casting such a combination in resin?

Thanks in advance

I've got one of these in the queue as well, which I'm looking to build as a truck still in duty during the years after WWII, so I've been looking over my options for naturally occurring upgrades.

Modelhaus has a 5 hand-hole, 5 lug dually wheel and tire set that comes from their '65 Chevy 2-ton conversion kit, which they'll sell separately. Missing Link has a 6 hand-hole, 6 lug wheel set, but no tires to go with them (hint hint, guys! :P). Ma's Resin has an old style Budd wheel set with non-pneumatic tires, but they're stouter than the Mack kits tires. I've also run across several reference pics of Bulldogs with Dayton style wheels and larger pneumatic tires like what come in the AMT Ford C600 kits. The Dodge L700 also has this style wheel, but are a touch larger, making the Ford rolling stock more suitable.

Both the Modelhaus and Missing Link wheels are the same size as the AMT Ford wheels. Both wheel sets require we supply our own outboard rim for the fronts, just to save you the surprise. The Modelhaus tires are a bit smaller in both width and diameter than the AMT tires, and are very nice.

I think that the Missing Link 6 hole wheels with the Modelhaus tires are the way I'll go with mine. Both sets are very reasonably priced, and the extra 5 hole wheels will certainly not go unused since they fit the AMT tires. I'm not positive when the Daytons came into play (early 50's? someone help me out here), or if it'd be kosher to narrow them for use with the Modelhaus tires, but it'd sure be sharp. Actually, the Modelhaus tires are cast in halves, which makes it easy to add a little width to them...so I'm going say that's certainly a viable option.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing the build.

For those interested in a little different option, AITM is now offering wooden spoked wheels and some back dating pieces. Their quality and price are typical of AITM. I have given my wife a printed out order form to add to my Christmas list(hint, hint). Here are some photos that Dave Natale sent following my inquiry about these items. I am not affiliated with AITM, just a satisfied customer who appreciates the unique and quality items that he offers.

ACMACKPARTS.jpg

chaindrivepartsacmack_001.jpg

chaindrivepartsacmack_002.jpg

chaindrivepartsacmack_003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ed as far as I know no photostch set was ever made for the Bull Dog AC's what I did on mine was carefully scribe out the screen and International Motors emblem and with an exato knife and small files cleaned up the emblem and used areator screen I found at the hard ware store . I then super glued it in place then the emblem onto it.

Iam also lookinginto the new parts for one from AITM Dave does have some great stuff and Ihave bought from him before.

Edited by Madd Trucker